My 60 cube build... SLOOOWWWWW build :( !!!

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little about myself to shed some light on why my build is taking so long... I had a tank for many years in my "single life". haha Now that I'm married with kids, finding time for a tank is difficult. I am in the process of finishing our basement and couldn't setup the tank until the floors were done. Well...they are done!!! I thought a tank would be a great tool to educate my children as well.

I have decided on a 60g cube. This will still be a slow build since time and MONEY are an issue right now. The big pieces to the puzzle I am missing now are : RO/DI unit, overflow (should be getting it by the 18th of this month). and then rock. I don't want to rush the build. I want to do it properly.

Here are a few pic of what I have setup so far...

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpeg

tank4.jpeg

tank5.jpeg

tank6.jpeg

tank7.jpeg

tank8.jpg

tank9.jpg

tank10.jpg

lights1.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

overflow.jpg

sump.jpg

sump2.jpeg

sump3.jpeg

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start take your time I know it's hard to dam excited to get it up and going but better do it right the first time ! I doing a 60 cube as well been collecting my stuff for a year almost got everything my pour 29 is full of sps frags .

OP
OP
Mark_D

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks klesel. Yeah I'm in no big rush...but not going to lie and say I'm not getting excited to get some water flowing! Thankfully I dont have to worry about fish or coral dying since I have nothing yet.

ECreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it wasn't possible to drill a rimless tank? Other than that, everything looks awesome!

ECreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard that... Maybe your talking about tempered vs non tempered glass?

It's very possible I could just be imagining things in my head. Not having a top brace around the tank always seemed a little sketchy to me when drilling a hole or 2 out of the glass, since it's only structural integrity is itself. Just don't want to see something go wrong, especially on a tight budget!!

OP
OP
Mark_D

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible I could just be imagining things in my head. Not having a top brace around the tank always seemed a little sketchy to me when drilling a hole or 2 out of the glass, since it's only structural integrity is itself. Just don't want to see something go wrong, especially on a tight budget!!

holes in the glass wouldn't weaken the structural integrity on the tank itself.. unless maybe you make it look like swiss cheese? :p I know what you mean though...not having the rim seems to put a lot of trust in silicone!

OP
OP
Mark_D

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more step done... Drilled my tank! Next step is painting the back and staining the stand... Also time for plumbing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice startup. Very Slow is better than fast with regrets;) Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Mark_D

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got some time to do some more work on the tank... Here is the latest picture of the progress.

tank - march2016.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back