My 93 marineland cube with THE Reef Savvy Ghost overflow!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, so to be 100% honest I havn't posted new updated pics because the tank is not doing as well as before :/. So now im going to ask for some advice. All my SPS in my reef look good with nice color and polyp extension but all 70% of my palys are not looking good. Most palys have polyps are rectracted some are completly closed. My utter Chaos colony and Queen Kraks have melted away. All parameters are adequate, my salt level is 1.026 temp 78.0,phosphate are at .1ppm natrates 0. So I was doing weekly 10 - 15 gallon water changes with ocean water, running GFO and skimming with the SKIMZ SM121 rated for 53-200 GL. So asked a few local reefers and they think my water may be to clean ??? So for the past week I turned off GFO and Skimmer.

ANY & ALL advice would be helpful !!

I am surprised Mr.Mathias can't help you find out the issue . U reefer's in fla are blessed since you all seem to have all the good n new z's n p's . A few things I would check for .
Imho I doubt the water is too clean .
1. Get a voltmeter out and check for stray volt. If you find any then start unplugging 1 item at a time until it no longer reads anything . It's just a process of elimination . wrasses work out great as natural predators .
2. If the Z's n P's are closed n then melting or going by by I would check at night for a culprit . (lil critters will surpise u ) . If pods are the culprit and no , shrimp or crabs are in the tank . I would dose interceptor to cull their populations .
3. I would look for signs of bacteria infections . U know the zoa pox thing . Furan2 is a lil harsh but the corals recover slowly .
4. For some strange reason . I have seen z's n p's close up and then they start checking out to reef heaven . I read a thread awhile back and this method worked for me .
I did not know how to mix a dip for chemiclean nor did I want to rip the tank apart to treat several zoo's .
Anywho I did followed the chemi clean instructions and they recovered within a week .
Nice tank and I hope you do not lose anymore z's n p's . I noticed when they close up and start to get smaller , I used to lose them rather quickly until I researched and tried the chemiclean fix .

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnarly_reefer

gnarly_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I will look into all your advice this week and get back to the thread Thank you again! Hopefully I can get her back to how she was !

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice work gnarly_reefer! I'm sure you will figure this out and she will be better than ever.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's the tank doing?

OP
OP
gnarly_reefer

gnarly_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's running I re aqua scape the whole thing but I'm currently in thailand now so when I come back in 2 weeks hopefully I throw some pics up for you guys !!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back