My all-in-one Reef-Pi case

Brian71583

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this could go under 3D printing or Reef Pi but I chose here. I finally am essentially done with my all-in-one reef-pi 3D printed case. I had stumbled across one on Thingiverse that looked good but would not fit everything I wanted. It had a cool hex themed design. I used that type design and designed my own case to fit everything I needed. I wanted my Pi to include Ph, Power Controller, 2 Temps, 2 10v light controllers + 12v LED output, Optical ATO sensor, plus a dose. It was challenging but here is what I came up with.

The finish looks must better in person, the little bit of gloss does not photograph well.

Front_Bare.jpg

Back_Corner.jpg

Inside_Bare.jpg

The small rectangles that protrude from the walls with a channel through them are banding points for wires. The large rectangle on the front wall towards the left accepts Cat3 (or any Catx) plugs readily available at Home Depot/Lowes. That will output to a DP4S dose unit.

Inside_Complete.jpg

Top to bottom us 2 power bucks providing 10v and 5v rails which are on the red Proto board closest the bucks. that board also houses the dose circuit. Directly above that on the front wall is the DB9 connector for the power controller. On the rear wall above that power board is the 12v Mosfet power channel for the LED strip for my sump/chaeto

The next closest red Proto board is my lighting circuit. It has two circuits for 2 10v-2 channel outputs

On the rear wall above that board is the 16 channel pwm board that feeds the lighting circuit and dose circuit.

Closest is the Pi4B with a hat that houses the power controller circuit, 3 (Only two wired to plugs) temperature sensors, and the ATO circuit. The ATO board/plug is under the white plug.
The white plug is a widely available at Lowes/Home Depot Cat3 snap in connector to feed the DP4S dose unit.

There is also a 5V fan on the back wall cooling the Pi

Top of picture is the Atlas Scientific Ph board

Lights_Temp.jpg

Not really visible in this picture is an adapter I designed that screws down to the same screws that mount the front of the Pi hat and converts to the mounting screws for the ATO sensor.

Ports.jpg

If you have an eagle eye you'll see the ATO connector does not line up with its hole, that is already fixed and the new case is printing.

Hope you enjoy, there are a lot of hours of design, reprinting, and testing to get everything to fit and mount right in.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa ,. This is a neat setup. Any chance you can share the model ? I would love to print it out and build one.
Thank you for sharing the details . We love these :)

OP
OP
B

Brian71583

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely I’ll be sharing it. I want to verify ATO hole placement and tweak some hole sizes first. I have the round holes slightly undersized so as to not make them too big. I just used a hand reamer afterwards but not everyone has a hand reamer so I’ll bump them up 1 or 2% larger.

it’s actually very printable I incorporated some features to help with that. The bottom is not flat it’s elevated a few mm and has like a brim around the perimeter so it didn’t get too much bed adhesion and/or warp so it requires like 5% support touching build plate only.

inside the case everything is designed so the bottom side of overhangs is chamfered so it doesn’t have any supports needed in there.

it is very printable. I will share it soon.

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 3d printer specifically to print a case for my reef pi. I would love to access this file and modify. I currently have a project box/ electrical Junction box and it's impossible to cut the holes accurately. Also, after a year or so of added functionality to my pi the box has slowly become a rats nest of wires. Can't wait to make a box with some better planning for all the connectors and boards I've added.

Prettymuchnow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 3d printer specifically to print a case for my reef pi. I would love to access this file and modify. I currently have a project box/ electrical Junction box and it's impossible to cut the holes accurately. Also, after a year or so of added functionality to my pi the box has slowly become a rats nest of wires. Can't wait to make a box with some better planning for all the connectors and boards I've added.
You might want to make one from scratch with Fusion 360. Unless you have the exact same modules and board sizes as above.

Its really easy to learn, its free (For non-commercial use) and if you like 3d printing... Its gonna change your world haha.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this could go under 3D printing or Reef Pi but I chose here. I finally am essentially done with my all-in-one reef-pi 3D printed case. I had stumbled across one on Thingiverse that looked good but would not fit everything I wanted. It had a cool hex themed design. I used that type design and designed my own case to fit everything I needed. I wanted my Pi to include Ph, Power Controller, 2 Temps, 2 10v light controllers + 12v LED output, Optical ATO sensor, plus a dose. It was challenging but here is what I came up with.

The finish looks must better in person, the little bit of gloss does not photograph well.

Front_Bare.jpg

Back_Corner.jpg

Inside_Bare.jpg

The small rectangles that protrude from the walls with a channel through them are banding points for wires. The large rectangle on the front wall towards the left accepts Cat3 (or any Catx) plugs readily available at Home Depot/Lowes. That will output to a DP4S dose unit.

Inside_Complete.jpg

Top to bottom us 2 power bucks providing 10v and 5v rails which are on the red Proto board closest the bucks. that board also houses the dose circuit. Directly above that on the front wall is the DB9 connector for the power controller. On the rear wall above that power board is the 12v Mosfet power channel for the LED strip for my sump/chaeto

The next closest red Proto board is my lighting circuit. It has two circuits for 2 10v-2 channel outputs

On the rear wall above that board is the 16 channel pwm board that feeds the lighting circuit and dose circuit.

Closest is the Pi4B with a hat that houses the power controller circuit, 3 (Only two wired to plugs) temperature sensors, and the ATO circuit. The ATO board/plug is under the white plug.
The white plug is a widely available at Lowes/Home Depot Cat3 snap in connector to feed the DP4S dose unit.

There is also a 5V fan on the back wall cooling the Pi

Top of picture is the Atlas Scientific Ph board

Lights_Temp.jpg

Not really visible in this picture is an adapter I designed that screws down to the same screws that mount the front of the Pi hat and converts to the mounting screws for the ATO sensor.

Ports.jpg

If you have an eagle eye you'll see the ATO connector does not line up with its hole, that is already fixed and the new case is printing.

Hope you enjoy, there are a lot of hours of design, reprinting, and testing to get everything to fit and mount right in.
Wow! That looks amazing! Great job! :)

Back