zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I've had my DT uv off for a week or so. And dinos are still MIA. A little cyano but easily dispersed.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes! I'm actually excited about every aspect of reefing again instead of dreading the dino battle everyday.

Display UV has been offline for weeks.
Looks like I might have to cave and try DinoX. I have literally done every single treatment method with no long term success.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I might have to cave and try DinoX. I have literally done every single treatment method with no long term success.
Did you try a uv plumbed wholly within the DT?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. I borrowed a local reefer’s 36w UV. I have amphidinium so they’re mostly on the back glass and sand.
Ugh

As you probably read above, I also tried every trick in the book and nothing worked.

I was very reluctant to dose dinoX. I have no idea if my success was dinoX, UV or both since I started both at the same time. The only negative I observed was my pods got wiped out. I assume this was from the dinoX because I've been running a 114w UV 24/7 for the last 7 years and I doubt adding a 57w to the DT would wipe them out from my sump.

Good luck!

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try a uv plumbed wholly within the DT?
Zalick,
Did you plumb ur UV wholly within the DT ? Did you have an additional pump for the UV or did you use a manifold ?
I've seen BRS have a small pump within their DT, so both input and output of UV is in the DT. is this what you did ?

thanks..

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zalick,
Did you plumb ur UV wholly within the DT ? Did you have an additional pump for the UV or did you use a manifold ?
I've seen BRS have a small pump within their DT, so both input and output of UV is in the DT. is this what you did ?

thanks..
Yes, I put zip ties around the UV and fixed some stainless clips with the zip ties. I then hung the unit from my canopy with a separate pump for the UV.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I put zip ties around the UV and fixed some stainless clips with the zip ties. I then hung the unit from my canopy with a separate pump for the UV.
Where did you have the pump, inside your DT ? And what flow rate did you run it at ? I've seen many say, run it slow, but how slow ? I've read 3x turnover for ostreopsis ? What flow did you use and for what size tank...300g one ?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you have the pump, inside your DT ? And what flow rate did you run it at ? I've seen many say, run it slow, but how slow ? I've read 3x turnover for ostreopsis ? What flow did you use and for what size tank ?
the pump was inside the DT and the water returned to the DT as well.

Flow is determined by your UV size first and water volume second.

I had a 57w UV and was running about 800-900 gph through it.

You need to make sure the flow is slow enough to achieve the UV exposure needed to kill dinos, or else its pointless.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pump was inside the DT and the water returned to the DT as well.

Flow is determined by your UV size first and water volume second.

I had a 57w UV and was running about 800-900 gph through it.

You need to make sure the flow is slow enough to achieve the UV exposure needed to kill dinos, or else its pointless.
I used this web site to help with calculations: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#whatsize
1616544665345.jpeg
Looking at the Lifeguard Pro-Max 25 wattage which has a max flow rate of 1000gph, rated for a 130 gal aquarium. I have a 70 gallon tank/sump but true water volume will be about 60 gallons. They say Max Water Flow for Algae & Bacteria UVC 30,000 µW/cm2 is 550 gph, which seems crazy high to me....and get real confused when they start talking µW/cm2...

According to that article...
LEVEL 2 STERILIZATION= 10gph x 25Watt= 250 ÷ 60gph = 4.1 x turnover, which is more than adequate level 2 sterilization of their suggestion of 2.5 to 3 x turnover rate.

so the question becomes, is 3x turnover rate correct for ostreopsis ? So for my tank, 180gph...

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this web site to help with calculations: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#whatsize
1616544665345.jpeg
Looking at the Lifeguard Pro-Max 25 wattage which has a max flow rate of 1000gph, rated for a 130 gal aquarium. I have a 70 gallon tank/sump but true water volume will be about 60 gallons. They say Max Water Flow for Algae & Bacteria UVC 30,000 µW/cm2 is 550 gph, which seems crazy high to me....and get real confused when they start talking µW/cm2...

According to that article...
LEVEL 2 STERILIZATION= 10gph x 25Watt= 250 ÷ 60gph = 4.1 x turnover, which is more than adequate level 2 sterilization of their suggestion of 2.5 to 3 x turnover rate.

so the question becomes, is 3x turnover rate correct for ostreopsis ? So for my tank, 180gph...
You want whatever flow rate gives you 90,000 cm2. If that flow rate is less than 3x, then you need a bigger UV.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want whatever flow rate gives you 90,000 cm2. If that flow rate is less than 3x, then you need a bigger UV.
You lost me there...90000cm2 ? And why would I need a bigger uv if less than 3x ?

LEVEL 1 STERILIZATION= 30gph x 25Watt= 750 ÷ 60g = 12.5 x turnover, more than adequate for level 1 sterilization.

Put another way...correct me if I’m wrong here....
3x turnover = 180 / 10gph per watt for level 2 = 21 watts
2x turnover = 120 / 30gph per watt for level 1 = 4 watts

Last edited:
OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lost me there...90000cm2 ? And why would I need a bigger uv if less than 3x ?

LEVEL 1 STERILIZATION= 30gph x 25Watt= 750 ÷ 60g = 12.5 x turnover, more than adequate for level 1 sterilization.

Put another way...correct me if I’m wrong here....
3x turnover = 180 / 10gph per watt for level 2 = 21 watts
2x turnover = 120 / 30gph per watt for level 1 = 4 watts
Two separate issues when factoring UV to kill stuff.

Turnover is about the speed you kill it verus the speed of reproduction. You need about a minimum 3x turnover to kill dinos fast enough (says BRS and others). I've never seen any actual studies showing this as definitive. You can certainly have higher than 3x.

UV exposure needed to kill the organism. In the case of dinos, I believe you need 90,000 µW/cm2 or more. This is a measure of the total UV exposure.

Each UV unit is different so it's not perfect to compare 25w from one manufacturer to another. But it's probably pretty close.

Here is the aquaUV chart. For their 25w unit you would want 400gph or less to achieve 90,000 µW/cm2.

So with your 25w unit, 400gph will give you enough exposure to kill dinos. 400gph is also greater than 3x turnover for you, so it would kill it fast enough.
Screenshot_20210323-201927.png

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two separate issues when factoring UV to kill stuff.

Turnover is about the speed you kill it verus the speed of reproduction. You need about a minimum 3x turnover to kill dinos fast enough (says BRS and others). I've never seen any actual studies showing this as definitive. You can certainly have higher than 3x.

UV exposure needed to kill the organism. In the case of dinos, I believe you need 90,000 µW/cm2 or more. This is a measure of the total UV exposure.

Each UV unit is different so it's not perfect to compare 25w from one manufacturer to another. But it's probably pretty close.

Here is the aquaUV chart. For their 25w unit you would want 400gph or less to achieve 90,000 µW/cm2.

So with your 25w unit, 400gph will give you enough exposure to kill dinos. 400gph is also greater than 3x turnover for you, so it would kill it fast enough.
Screenshot_20210323-201927.png
Got it...perfect ! Thanks for taking the time to do this. If I’m gonna put this pump in my display temporarily to kill these things, wanted to try and use one I’ve already got, one that will get me around 3x turnover for my tank...around 180 to 220, and that fits in with what you said.

Different values between the aqua and promax is interesting...for 30,000 um/cm2 1200 vs 550 ! For 90,000 um/cm2, it’s roughly 1/3 of the gph value, so if I was to extrapolate that for the promax values...1/3 of 550gph = 183gph, which is right at 3x turnover for my tank !

Last edited:
OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it...perfect ! Thanks for taking the time to do this. If I’m gonna put this pump in my display temporarily to kill these things, wanted to try and use one I’ve already got, one that will get me around 3x turnover for my tank...around 180 to 220, and that fits in with what you said.

Different values between the aqua and promax is interesting...for 30,000 um/cm2 1200 vs 550 ! For 90,000 um/cm2, it’s roughly 1/3 of the gph value, so if I was to extrapolate that for the promax values...1/3 of 550gph = 183gph, which is right at 3x turnover for my tank !
Perfect!

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very slight Dino issue pop up again. I let my nutrients bottom out again and I noticed the dreaded slimy looking stuff with bubbles. Not extensive. I used a microscope to ID it as coolia again. It was very minor. Popped the 57w UV back on and the next day nothing came back. Going to leave the UV on for about two weeks while blowing off the rocks just to be sure.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this thread. I'm having a coolia outbreak. Uv seems to be working great, dinox is on the way. Frags are all moved to the quarantine.

I thought I was doing so well, nutrients went down and ph went up.... Then this.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this thread. I'm having a coolia outbreak. Uv seems to be working great, dinox is on the way. Frags are all moved to the quarantine.

I thought I was doing so well, nutrients went down and ph went up.... Then this.
Bumping this thread as I’m almost certain I have Coolia too. What kind of pump was used in the DT? Regular return pumps? I’m going to replumb so I draw water from my DT but keep my my UV in my sump and just have the return of the UV stay at the return chamber (theoretically the same as dumping it back in my DT). I’m using a dc return pump rated for 500gph for my 25w UV, but it’s a regular return style pump with a not so fine grate at the intake. I guess I can put a sock on the end of the other side of the UV to make sure detritus dowsnr get in my return chamber.

There’s one corner of my tank that detritus accumulates slightly, so I’m guessing that’s the best place to pull water from as the Dinos should end up there the most in terms of where the water column goes?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back