My before and after Green hair algae

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top crown snails and urchins. I prefer pencil urchins myself lol but the proof is in the pictures. I'm on the winning side of things I feel like and it feels good. Lol.
D

IMG_20220129_122126_539.jpg IMG_20220313_003750_637.jpg

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't believe in that.
My rock was taken from a live reef tank and set in the sun to dry. Coral. Sponge. Ect. Anything I couldn't remove was left on the rock. Acans. All to dry in the sun.
Than I pressure washed em and they sat dry for yrs. Sold a lot of my smaller pieces to @mfinn I think. Lol.
Long time ago...

I seeded with some live rock when I re used this rock but don't think I seeded enough. Also all the dry rock leaves open space for competition. Usually the ugly wins. Lol. Ugly coral. Ugly algae. Ugly whatever u don't want will most likely succeed and become the greater force in competition.
Phosphates and excess nutrients were introduced to the tank and rock by me and feeding and fish poo and pee. Nothing more or less.
It took me a yr to make the rock live again....I coulda easily spent $200 or $300 on live rock like I did way back and avoided this Lol.

The shelf pieces I think ur referring to on the bottom of my tank are actually solid man made.pieces and are not porous in any way. Just like the fish tank walls. Lol. I added them dry as well maybe 3 months ago from vivid aquariums. Love the shelf rock. Lol.
Used to have a ton of tonga I regret selling
-d

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a difference! How long did it take to accomplish this?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed today that some of my rocks that have GHA were spotless and scraped backed to the rock. Then I saw this and went inspecting for the urchins in my tank. The urchins! They’re finally earning their keep!
It sounds like you could have added your urchins to my "do you have a lazy fish/invert in your tank" thread... Until now that is. Glad to hear your urchins are earning their keep. :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my sump was like this. GHA out competed the chaeto and starved it out. put in a very small tuxedo urchin and now i'm getting worried it wont have food to eat!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back