My Biocube LED 32

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I picked up a hardly used Biocube 32 the other day for $150. I’ve purchased the stand and have ordered a Tunze nano ATO, Tunze 9001 skimmer, Intank media rack, and new heater. I’ve also ordered 25 lbs of KP Aquatics live rock. Everything should be here on Tuesday! My desire is that this be an anemone/Clown tank. I’m prolly going to upgrade the lights too. Here it is empty!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good buy on the 32. If your just doing clowns and nems the stock led lighting should be fine if you dont want to spend the money for an upgrade. :D

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good buy on the 32. If your just doing clowns and nems the stock led lighting should be fine if you dont want to spend the money for an upgrade. :D
Ive heard it both ways. Some say the stock lighting is ok and some say not. Im gonna have to read up and study. I hope you're right ! Also, the lights cost more than the tsnk and stand. That's a lot !

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard it both ways. Some say the stock lighting is ok and some say not. Im gonna have to read up and study. I hope you're right ! Also, the lights cost more than the tsnk and stand. That's a lot !
Yes they are not cheap, we did upgrade ours, but the nems, torch, mushrooms and Hammer done fine in the stock lights.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have nems also, splitting often. If anyone is local to me in Michigan I give away 5-8 nems every three months. Now if I could just get my 65 gal tank to work this well :)

If you are doing it for programming expansion, a different light is more pleasing, or you want all your tanks with the same manufacturer, I definitely get that. It’s just when people say they don’t work is what I struggle with.

I agree on light cost vs tank cost, it is about the lights :). I also believe that for all equipment purchased. Save to get what you want, upgrades on other tanks have taken their toll on me also. But sometimes I upgrade just because I want to, and that’s ok :). Hope you all had a good weekend.

C356011E-1F05-4807-A196-55C6418BDA67.jpeg

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @Flexin gets good growth with stock lighting in the 32. Not sure if he has nems tho? I decide to go the upgraded lighting route went with Steve's LEDs yeah for single cost equip def cost more than the tank but worth it imo. My BTAs are happy.
20180723_083541.jpg

By the way, love your nems!!!

Unrelated note, if you wanted to make a refugium out of your stock media basket, this thread will help:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/32-biocube-refugium-stock-media-basket.425469/

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone. It’s not that I want the same lights on each tank. I’m not looking for replication in that sense. I am only interested in the AB+ schedule on the biocube because I am so pleased with coral growth/coloration in the other tank. Then again I don’t know which light to even consider for anemones.... Steve’s or nanobox... or another. Ease of installation is a must. Any suggestions?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can speak for Steve's but have zero knowledge of nanobox. Steve's easy to install and control, intense lights.

M. Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the stand we had problems with ours being wobbly and made a metal one.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few folks have had a wobbly stand. I got lucky my LFS has a cabinet maker to made a stand for the same price that is very nice. Last time I tried to build something it should have been a square and had 5 sides :)

I think you just need to check the stand to make sure it’s stable in regards to how it was assembled.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few folks have had a wobbly stand. I got lucky my LFS has a cabinet maker to made a stand for the same price that is very nice. Last time I tried to build something it should have been a square and had 5 sides :)

I think you just need to check the stand to make sure it’s stable in regards to how it was assembled.
I put it together (some assembly required!) and it seemed tight and sturdy. I didn’t climb on top of it but..... :)

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh. I hated my 32g Biocube. From the filtration to the lack of room to cleaning the glass not to mention being limited by the lighting. This thing stock doesn't move enough water and it's very very difficult to work behind the tank if it's against a wall. Then cleaning it was a nightmare. I will never own an acrylic tank again. I truly hated it even after changing the flow and the stock filter rack. I still have it with a stand. I'll sell it for $100 to anyone near Staten Island. I couldn't stand cleaning the acrylic!!! I wore out 2 credit cards!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the cube has been up and running for six months. There have been lots of issues with algae, diatoms, cyano, etc. but it looks like things are turning around. My Steve’s LED light work ok but my anemones would probably do better if I had something with a different spectrum (more channels?).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back