My Blue Hippo Tang has got bumps and white spots all it.?.?.?

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you for explaining. That is what I was planning on doing, just add Coppersafe to the jug I am adding as a water change before I add it. My wife and daughter are very attached to a few of these fish and it makes them a bit sick to see them stressed in the new smaller tank

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I am trying to stay positive and use the time the DT will be without fish to help the mushrooms and candy canes we have in it to flourish and now allow the copipods to grow in the tank and fuge

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KDawg0623 Kudos for maintaining a positive attitude and looking on the bright side! Something I sometimes struggle to do. My :yo: is off to you, sir.

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. I can not say that I am successful at all times, lol. But this is an awesome hobby. But it can really take a toll if you allow it to. There is just so much to learn and be patient with. We are hoping to get a pair of mandarin gobies after this is all done with. so need to get the copipods really going. We have a 10 gal. breeder going atm. But now we can just use the DT

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were up til 1 am trying to make it so that the diamondback orange spotted goby wasn't so stressed and trying to jump out of the tank. it is going to be difficult to quarantine 13 fish in a 20 long tank. But I might get a larger tank out of the deal for QT :) the fish still don't seem to be eating a lot, but they are all swimming around okay and I have plenty of hiding places for them. Thank you Humble and Salty for the advice and I will try to keep you posted on what is going on with the process

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question, sorry. When I do water changes, I can't use my DT water, because of the ich that has been in it, right? Or can I use it because it has the bacteria and the parameters are all good. If I dose the copper in the water that I add.. it should kill the ich, right?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question, sorry. When I do water changes, I can't use my DT water, because of the ich that has been in it, right? Or can I use it because it has the bacteria and the parameters are all good. If I dose the copper in the water that I add.. it should kill the ich, right?

In theory, you are correct. If you take water from the DT and add/mix therapeutic level copper to it before adding it to the QT, any free swimmers should be eradicated. However, I personally wouldn't risk it. Moving forward, once you know your DT is disease free; using DT water to fill/do WCs on your QT is a great idea.

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha. Thanks, Humble. in 10 weeks when this is all over with. I will be using DT water from here on out.

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question... Can we switch from CopperSafe to Cupramine half way through? Cupramine has less toxins and safer for the fish. And if so, can we do it even though we haven't been able to get 100% of the copper out of the tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question... Can we switch from CopperSafe to Cupramine half way through? Cupramine has less toxins and safer for the fish. And if so, can we do it even though we haven't been able to get 100% of the copper out of the tank?

No, because they are completely different (incompatible) forms of copper. Coppersafe is chelated, while Cupramine is ionic. You'd have to completely remove one to use the other.

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish since our encounter, we had only lost one blue/green chromis. All the fish have been great ever since. We have not added anymore fish since then but now are setting up the QT again for future additions. I do have a question, we had used copper for treatment for a little while when we started the QT. Since then we had cleaned it with bleach and rinsed it and let it dry in the sun for a couple weeks. Would we be able to QT corals in it? Would the bleach kill off the copper that had been in the tank? Thank you for your help sir

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you had luck with the fallow? I went through it a year ago, fish went back in 10/30/14 and I haven't seen ich in my display since.

Quarantining is the way to go. I've lost a good amount of fish in Quarantine within the past 6 months but I believe a large portion of that loss would of died in the display.

Is that Emperor angel thats the avatar your fish?

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Mine is now a bit bigger, but we have had him for a while now. Our DT has not shown signs of ich since, it has been up and running with fish now for over 3 months. But we want to get an anemone and want to QT it fish, but want to make sure that the bleach washed the copper out of the tank so we don't need to worry about it dying once we put it in

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since then we had cleaned it with bleach and rinsed it and let it dry in the sun for a couple weeks. Would we be able to QT corals in it? Would the bleach kill off the copper that had been in the tank? Thank you for your help sir

Wipe the tank out thoroughly using vinegar, paying extra attention to wiping the silicone seams. Rinse thoroughly. After that you should be good to go.

You didn't have any rocks or substrate in the QT, did you?

OP
OP
KDawg0623

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news then. We had filled it up with vinegar and water for a couple of hours. Thank you for your knowledge, Humblefish

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back