My brain isn't working... help with ppm concentrations

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add Ferrous gluconate to my tank so I found a source for pure Ferrous gluconate (details on my build thread).

I have made up a solution of 1g of this in 1000ml of RO/DI water. This should give me a mix that is 1000ppm (1000mg/liter).

If I add 2ml of this solution to my tank which I calculate at roughly 1650 net liters, that should be adding about 0.0012 ppm of Fe to the tank?

Can someone confirm please? I'm usually quite good at these things but for some reason my brain has gone on strike! :rolleyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY recipe:

One Fergon tablet (ferrous gluconate) contains 27 mg of iron. Dissolve that in about 27 mL RO/DI (my recommendation, but other concentrations are OK, just don't dilute too much), the concentration is about 27 mg/27 ml ~ 1 mg/mL.

I dose ~1 mL to my tank with a volume of about 300 gallons ) once or twice a week.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made up 1000 mg iron, or 1000 mg iron gluconate?

1000mg iron gluconate.

IMG_2974.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY recipe:

One Fergon tablet (ferrous gluconate) contains 27 mg of iron. Dissolve that in about 27 mL RO/DI (my recommendation, but other concentrations are OK, just don't dilute too much), the concentration is about 27 mg/27 ml ~ 1 mg/mL.

I dose ~1 mL to my tank with a volume of about 300 gallons ) once or twice a week.

Yes, I did see this... and I even ordered the Fergon tablets. But I decided to research further and see if I could find something that didn't have the additional ingredients (colorants and I think something to help bind the product into pill form)...

What I found seems to fit the bill.

Back