My Canadian Reef Tank

ELynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
My name is Erica and I am currently setting up a 75 gallon mixed reef tank. I spent about a year planning and researching and when we bought our house I was finally ready to get started. I live in Quebec Canada and though there is an active reef community in this area, there is the added challenge of lower availability then the states and freezing cold winters then stifling summers. My goal is to create a tank that is as automated and low maintenance as possible with lots of redundancy.

I bought a reef ready tank on sale at a pet store and found a cabinet on Marketplace. I’ve been very lucky finding good quality second hand equipment.
1658451085047.jpeg
I started by planning out the layout of my rock work then epoxied them together in three sections and placed them in my tank.
1658451125429.jpeg

I then went ahead and planned out my sump, it took a long time to plan and took a significant amount of googling on my part. The sump came with the cabinet I bought,
but looking back I wish I had found bigger, but I made it work. I decided I really wanted a refugium so I planned out how to build an external refugium without having to rely on a second pump. I came up with a gravity based system where my manifold pumps water in and water is fed back into the return section by gravity. I plan on adding a float switch to turn off my return pump in case the return pipe from the refugium is ever blocked. Drilling glass was an interesting experience, especially since I did not know if the small tank I had was tempered or not. Turned out great though!
1658451292165.jpeg
With my sump all set up and plumbed I was finally ready to add water. I bought a fairly new RO/DI system off Marketplace and filled my tank. In my haste to finally see water in my tank I forgot to add my sand first, was not the funnest to add sand in a filled tank. In my second dumb move I didn’t turn off my sump before letting the sand dust settle. My lovely clean sump was then decorated with a fine layer of sand dust everywhere. I’m just telling myself it’s extra place for bacteria to colonize while the perfectionist part of me died a little inside.

I decided to use the fishless cycling method for cycling my tank and to really let the tank cycle for a month or two before adding fish. I want a strong micro biome to start this tank out and to get off to the right start. I’m nearly at 2 months now, I’ve been periodically dosing Ammonia.

My next project was to create a cabinet for my aquarium controller. I bought the Apex new and since it was one of the most expensive parts of this build I figured it should be kept in style. I decided to DIY my cabinet since I could
not find any online that suited my taste and refused to pay 400$ for the fancy piece of plastic cabinet you can buy. I used MDF board for the internal part of the cabinet where the controllers and such are mounted and bout a French cleat off Amazon so it can be hung inside the cabinet.The outer cabinet is a modified ikea cabinet. I loved the black frosted glass so the Neptune symbols can be seen through with a pleasing orange glow. I still have various pieces of equipment to buy which I’m collecting slowly mostly second hand but I don’t have anything in the tank yet so they are not required as of yet. I plan on getting a second hand iPad mini to use as my Apex Dashboard display.
1658451423847.jpeg
1658451448005.jpeg

1658451540059.jpeg
1658451788458.jpeg

The bottom of my cabinet will hold my ATO reservoir and a reservoir for kalkwasser which will be dosed using a DOS. I found a nearly new one second hand, but I won’t set it up right away as my tank won’t require dosing Kalk for a while.
1658451840874.jpeg

1658451864112.jpeg

Next I set up lights above my tank though I am not planning on turning them on for a while. I decided on T5’s and LED combo I currently have the T5’s hung and will eventually buy some Kessil’s as I really like the shimmer. I also have a Kessil Tuna Flora hanging above my Fuge.
1658452159072.jpeg

Currently I just faced my first major issue with my tank. I remember hearing a fellow reefer complaining about the issue of heat with our Canadian Summers at the reef store. Despite the stereotypes it gets hot here and even worse is the humidity which impedes evaporation so the tank won’t cool. He had recommended getting a chiller to me but I dismissed that idea as unnecessary, but boy was I wrong. I bought a beautiful 1860 historic home. Despite all the charm there is the issue of no A/C. We are currently facing a heatwave in my province and my tank has heated up to a whopping 83 degrees, and it’s supposed to get hotter outside! Thank god I have no fish or Corals in the tank. For my little quarantine tank set up in my kitchen I’ve utilized fans to keep it cool but I didn’t think that would cut it for my main tank.
1658452811846.jpeg

Until renovations in my house were complete installing A/C was not possible. Like the man in the Reef store had said I was going to need a Chiller. I wanted to cry at the thought of spending 1000$ minimum on a piece of equipment that will be used only a few months of the year. I was up all night obsessing on finding a solution (Even considered DIY’ing one out of a mini fridge) . The reef gods must have been smiling down on me though; on a whim I decided to check my good friend marketplace. I typed in aquarium chiller and no results, I then typed in water chiller and BOOM found one! A lovely lady located about 45 minutes from me was selling a 1/4 HP water chiller for 200$!! New in Box!!! I could not believe my luck. Her husband had got it buying a bulk lot of electronics as an electrician and they had no use for it. The model normally goes for 900$ before tax! I just picked up a pump from the Reef store and am waiting on some silicone tubing from Amazon so I can cool my tank, then I’ll be ready for fish.

My next project is to set up the breakout box I got from Etsy to have some redundancy float switches and some LED lighting in my controller cabinet and in my tank cabinet. Wiring electronics is a little intimidating but if I can drill glass I can do this.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!! I plan on continuing to update as my tank develops, and I’m excited to start adding life to my tank. If you have any suggestions, or tips I’d be glad to hear them, no amount of googling can beat the raw experience many of you have! 1658451712870.jpeg

OP
OP
ELynn

ELynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the attention to detail. You’re doing great. We all learn from our mistakes in this hobby.
Thank you so much! I’ve really tried to educate myself as much as possible. In the reef store today I heard a very patient employee trying to explain to a customer why you can’t use plain tap water with a reef tank. The poor guy seemed very lost and overwhelmed. I got the feeling he impulse bought a reef tank and was facing a few problems because of that. I accept that I’m going get it wrong sometimes but at the very least I want my wrong decisions to be very well researched and contemplated wrong decisions

OP
OP
ELynn

ELynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m ready to start adding life to my tank soon! Got the lights set up properly and I’m going to start running them during the day. My new Chiller is all set and working fantastically.
3416CF02-3BD3-40F6-9D47-B0AE116FA9D0.jpeg
I also programmed an emergency all stop into my apex using my breakout box. Had a situation where my power head on my QT tank flipped and sprayed water all over the kitchen, I want the kids to be able to switch an all stop button if ever there is an emergency and I’m not around. I’m going to program it to notify me if switched as well in case my toddlers get any ideas.

I’m planning on using a QT service for my fish and QT my corals myself. I also plan to QT my inverts in a separate tank I have available. I’m really hoping to avoid any fish disease, aptaisia and vermetid snails which seem impossible to remove once acquired. I know there are no guarantees though!

I’m going to add copopods and inverts to my main DT first and supplemental feed along with the cheato after it has all been QT’d then add fish.

Also got a little tank decoration despite the overall preference for natural looking tanks, it makes my SO happy and I actually like the look of it!
9E5AFA7C-ED87-4465-8B09-41F09C363395.jpeg
So onward I go! Looking forward to some life!

OP
OP
ELynn

ELynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew came in today! Got them drip acclimated and into the QT tank. Also took the time to scrub the shells with some hydrogen peroxide before going into the tank then rinsing them in fresh salt water. if anyone one had looked inside my house at that point they would have thought I was an weird lady scrubbing snails with a baby toothbrush.
8DAA84AF-DA34-467D-A148-FB35CFBDDE1D.jpeg
CBA918F7-3F64-462F-8144-0AA8D5983576.jpeg

since then tank is clean I added some algae wafers and nori. I plan on monitoring the parameters daily as it’s a newer tank and I added some bacteria blend. I have a little QT bucket for my cheato that came as well and I found a grow lightbulb at Homedepot on sale. I’m going to keep it in there 16 days or so. I’m also considering a Bayer dip but I’m on the fence about it.
DA837D8B-B8DF-416F-9847-69C6BA25C403.jpeg

Another little project I’ve decided to take on simultaneously is to culture my own phytoplankton and Copopods. I saw a phytoplankton reactor by pacific sun that I loved the look of, but I did not love the price. So I found a similar looking beer tower and a submersible light on Amazon for a quarter of the price along with an air pump. I’m just waiting for the jar for the copepods. Is it unnecessary yes, could I have just used some plastic water bottles, probably! But I’ve taken enough of the house over with aquarium supplies might as well make it look nice!
304324DC-A5C9-4647-A970-7F09DE597544.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back