My cause of my sps death's

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So For weeks I've been hitting my head figuring out why they sps would die within a month, from dipping, QTing process, waiting weeks for a sps free tank etc. I then tried Triton test.

a week past by and I get the results, High Tin in my system, 14 UG/l.

Found checked all my pumps, Magnets are GOOD. I then suck out the sand, and say " just for ***** lets check my 4-5month old mp40 QD wetsides"

Triton test does not lie, Found my cuprit. Call up ecotech and ask for a new wetside. no questions asked. They will send me 2 new ones.

A few days past and doing 10% WC daily, with only 1 mp60QD in my tank, I remove it, and behold, a hairline crack? What do you guys think? this mp60 is 1-2 months old I should add.

Same place where the rust was coming out of..

I believe it has to due to where both joints meet, It seems as if its to weak and causes it to crack like this.

I say Ecotech needs to warranty all wetsides, and have a solution for this.

As a result all my sps has perished leaving me only just 4-5 thats hanging on.

I wish I would have checked sooner..

My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about your struggles but glad to see you found the issue. I went thru something very similar a couple years ago losing 95% of my sps colonies to screws/volutes/magnets rusting such as yourself. Of course I had some nay sayers telling me that this wasn't the cause of my issues but as you can see the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

@mdbannister

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.[/QUOTE]

Try a better product like Tunze. Not made in China...made in Germany. Nuff said. Hope things get better from here on.

tech9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, was it making noise? First time i've seen that on a MP pump.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! I'll be checking mine for sure. Rusted magnets have been linked to more than a few tank deaths. :( I'm actually to the point that I think (if a reefer can afford it) a triton test once every 1-2 months is a good idea to detect these types of issues (hopefully in time). So very sorry you had this happen.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with my sps tank a year ago and couldn't figure it out. I had put an ecotech mp40wes in my sump to blow debris out and into my filter socks. All of a sudden the mp40wes was making a bunch of noise so I turned it off took it out and inspected the wet side. This is what I found

20161023_193244.jpg
20161023_193255.jpg
20161023_193307.jpg

Lovely huh? Ton of rust. I've also got a couple of mp40qd with magnets that look just like yours. Split at the seam and a bunch of nasty rust coming out. I'll post pics later. But all that I can say is that Ecotech better be replacing all wetsides for people who have their products. I'm sure that they won't but I will tell you if they don't I will Never buy another Ecotech product ever again.

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an mp10 do this luckily it was not in my tank .I took a extra wetside apart and noticed the seam
split . I am not 100% sure but if memory serves me right my older mp40s have a actual magnet in their wet side and I don't think magnets rust , correct? So is this a problem with the newer style wetside and a cheap mistake putting metal in a plastic casing instead of making quality wetside a with actual magnets in them like the older model?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an mp10 do this luckily it was not in my tank .I took a extra wetside apart and noticed the seam
split . I am not 100% sure but if memory serves me right my older mp40s have a actual magnet in their wet side and I don't think magnets rust , correct? So is this a problem with the newer style wetside and a cheap mistake putting metal in a plastic casing instead of making quality wetside a with actual magnets in them like the older model?

The old style wetsides have the potential to so the same as well. I had a mp40 wetside split in me a while back but caught it in time.

tech9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10 Jebaos, problem I have is they last about a year then stop. Cleaning can maybe prolong them for a few months, but i've tried tons of them and always had bad issues :(

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old style wetsides have the potential to so the same as well. I had a mp40 wetside split in me a while back but caught it in time.

I have older mp40 wetsides that have a actual magnet in them not a piece of steel encased in plastic . This is a cost effective change they must of made at some point that is failing . Safe to say magnets cost substantially more than a piece of steel coated in plastic .

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting to see this thread today as I have noticed this on several of my MP40s and MP60s the past couple of weeks.. I however wasn't too concerned about the death possibility as I assumed it wasn't enough to put out any substantial unwanted elements in my tank as GFO is basically rust.... and I run a large GFO reactor... but I have recently ( this past week) lost several SPS out of the blue that I have had for quite some time that were fully encrusted... I attributed it to changing out my 5 Kessils and 6 T5 bulbs down to 4 T5s and 4 Radion Pro's and thinking it was a lighting issue.. Unfortunately for me I'll be going out of the country tomorrow morning and don't have the time to go take pics and call Vortech during their business hours.. now i'm quite concerned about my tank's wellbeing this weekend.. Sad too because I just recently got rid of all of my jebao powerheads as I now have three MP60s and three MP40s, and three Gyre's in my systems.. I know for certain there was and is no rust on any of my jebao powerheads or magnets as I cleaned them thoroughly to get rid of them. Anxious to see what Vortech says...

OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well alittle update. After doing massive water changes and running some meta sorb, a few of my sps is starting to kick back up.

And to think loosing one coral after another I was going to give up and throw in the towel. After loosing 20 pieces I gave up on maintaining the tank. But now that I see light at the end of the tunnel I feel better about having the tank again!
046779F0-047D-4284-BAA0-FA18720F4402_zpsn185zc3b.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All metal will corrode in time in salt water, even magnets. Some metals do it faster than others. It looks like they let the temperature of the plastic get too low during the sealing process. This keeps the sealing surfaces of each half of the plastic enclosure from fully bonding with each other to make one plastic piece instead of two pieces that can break apparent like yours did. I'm sure their engineers would want to know about this assuming they don't already. But it looks like a process control issues not a design flaw. They should warranty the product. If they don't then let us know so none of us will buy any of there products. I'd rather have a pump that fails in a year with no warranty and DOESN'T kill my coral than one that fails in a few months with a warranty but kills my coral.

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along on this, will be checking mine tomorrow! These pumps aren't cheap to start with, no need to try to make them cheaper at our corals price! Hope they step up on this

OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will honestly say this is a real disappointment for ecotech. This thing is barely used, and it also has grease around the base area? I hope it was reef safe. Will be contacting ecotech tomorrow.

Possibly 3 weeks of use

What the heck is going on? I didn't drop it or anything. But what I didn't check is when it arrived.

I'm sure after this I'll be switching to Neptune systems..

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought these things could happen - Its like you don't expect you heater cords to leak and metals should be of equal importance. I've ordered 2 MP40s and its good to be mindful of these things.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back