My Chart Data Showing ph Trends During Different Test Conditions

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a lot of post's lately about ph, CO2 scrubbers and skimmer recirc setups so I decided to collect some ph data for different scenarios. The data emphasizes more towards tends and not so much the actual ph values.
My tank and parameters: LPS and Softies. 285gal total water volume which includes a 30gal external refugium with reverse lighting I just restarted a month ago not so much for ph stabilization at night but for nutrient control. I auto dose BRS 2 part at 85ml/day dosing every 2hr. 8pm-6am 5ml every 2hrs except for 10pm which I do not dose because I occasionally dose MB7 at 8:15pm and turn of my return pump for 3.5hrs, from 8am-6pm 10ml every 2hrs. 170ml of Tropic Marine Balling part "C" daily. I also dose live Phyto every night. 4gal AWC every 4 days equates to approx 10%/month water change. 1.5ml Red Sea Colors daily.
NO3=12.1 dropping 1.6ppm/wk, was at 18.2 before refugium.
PO4=0.06 dosing trisodium phosphate solution to keep fairly stable. Was at 0.18 before refugium.
Alk=9.0 very stable
Cal=445 very stable
Mag=1510 very stable
Salinity=34.9-35.0
Temp=77.5-78.2 controller controlled
House and tank location: House is fairly new, 2485sqft and well sealed for the Minnesota winters. Tank is located in the lower level with windows and a walkout sliding door that are open when the weather is good which is not many days a year unfortunately.
Tank equipment: 4 GHL Mitras 7206's running a 12hr schedule with a 3hr ramp up and down time. 6hrs at full spectrum. 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's with custom made adjustable deflectors pointed in a upward direction which gives me massive amounts of surface agitation. One thing about the surface agitation is I get very good gas exchange which is probably good and bad. Good for increased O2 but bad for increased CO2 when house is sealed up. Skimmer is a Reef Octopus 220-INT Super Cone that has the capability of pulling in 2400L of air at max setting. I only run the controller in position 3 out of 5. BRS Duo Jumbo CO2 scrubber setup as a full recirc with an outside air input into the scrubber and a electronic ball valve to control the ph which is programmed by the GHL Profilux Controller. Electronic ball valve is programmed to open at a ph of 8.38 to allow CO2 enriched air into the skimmer and to close at a ph of 8.36.

The ph scenarios I tested are:1. Running full recirc with outside air input into scrubber. 2. Full recirc with outside air to the scrubber and windows and sliding door open. 3. Windows and sliding door open only with scrubber bypassed and scrubber output hose removed from the skimmer air input. 4. Outside air to the scrubber with no skimmer recirc.

The below screenshot shows that when the windows are open and in full recirc that you get the biggest kick in ph. Unfortunately the electronic ball valve even though open, the ph goes beyond my desired setpoint by .11. Most would say hey that's a good ph but when I used to run my upper setpoint at 8.45 before I lowered it I got some pretty bad calcification of my shallow sand bed. I am not saying it was the only factor but I do believe it was a contributing factor after reading some of Randy's writeups . I have redone my sand bed since then and all is good so far. The full recirc is what I primarily run and it also has the outside air input into the scrubber. Works great for what I want and the ball valve keeps it from going above my current setpoint of 8.38. The outside air to the scrubber only test surprised me a little. I was expecting a higher ph more inline with the full recirc. I believe that having the house sealed in this mode that the surface agitation is adding a decent amount of CO2 to the tank water. Not very efficient IMO. The full recirc configuration with outside air input even with a sealed house performs much better than the outside air only to the scrubber.
The little downward spikes you see are when I dose Phyto and go into feed mode which shuts down the return pump and skimmer.

Showing Window open full recirc and full recirc and fresh are to.png

This screenshot shows the difference between windows open with full recirc and windows open with no recirc.
20-23 Sep Windows open No recirc.png

Just thought I would add this so you can see the data point from yesterday and where it is at so far today. This is a full recirc with outside air input into the scrubber.
2023-10-17 (5).png

Skimmer recirc and outside air input into scrubber.
20221128_184012.jpg

Skimmer recirc airlines. I removed these and the air input to the skimmer when doing the windows open only test.
20221128_184050.jpg

Fresh air from outside. Furnace fresh air supply. Hose runs 60ft to the scrubber.
20220205_100337.jpg

Fresh outside air airline coming down from lower level celling crawl space to the scrubber.
20230906_151722.jpg

Electronic ball valve.
20230906_130046.jpg

CO2 color changing absorbing media I use.
JOR553B_1.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph scenarios I tested are:1. Running full recirc with outside air input into scrubber. 2. Full recirc with outside air to the scrubber and windows and sliding door open. 3. Windows and sliding door open only with scrubber bypassed and scrubber output hose removed from the skimmer air input. 4. Outside air to the scrubber with no skimmer recirc.

I'm confused on the terminology. Doesn't full recirc mean all the air to the scrubber comes back from the skimmer and not from any other source?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused on the terminology. Doesn't full recirc mean all the air to the scrubber comes back from the skimmer and not from any other source?
I used the term full recirc to mean ALL air from the skimmer goes to the scrubber because I had a few people that sent a PM that have asked me questions about skimmer recirc and some of them left some holes open on the skimmer lid not allowing all the skimmer air to go to the scrubber. So that's why I called it full recirc. I told them I was going to do this thread to show trends. I guess I should of been more specific about this in the writeup.
I knew someone was going to question this writeup and I guessed correctly on who it was going to be lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the term full recirc to mean ALL air from the skimmer goes to the scrubber because I had a few people that sent a PM that have asked me questions about skimmer recirc and some of them left some holes open on the skimmer lid not allowing all the skimmer air to go to the scrubber. So that's why I called it full recirc. I told them I was going to do this thread to show trends. I guess I should of been more specific about this in the writeup.
I knew someone was going to question this writeup and I guessed correctly on who it was going to be lol.

lol

I'm still confused. Is fresh air actually getting into the skimmer? if it does, where does it get out if all skimmer air goes back to the scrubber, which sends of all its air to the skimmer?? It sounds like air gets into the scrubber/skimmer, but does not come out.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I'm still confused. Is fresh air actually getting into the skimmer? if it does, where does it get out if all skimmer air goes back to the scrubber, which sends of all its air to the skimmer?? It sounds like air gets into the scrubber/skimmer, but does not come out.
Now your getting into semantics. The output of the scrubber which has scrubbed air from the skimmer and outside air in my setup goes to the skimmer venturi which is connected to the skimmer pump. The pump mixes the scrubber air with the water the pump brings in from the sump. The micro bubbles rise within the skimmer neck creating a foam. The bubbles burst and the air recirculates back to the scrubber. At the same time the water that exits the skimmer also has micro bubbles which is scrubbed air. So yes air does get out of the skimmer. So to make you happy I should say all the air that makes it to the skimmer cup goes back to the scrubber. I figured most people know how a skimmer functions.
Anything else that needs clarification? I would be happy to explain more precisely if needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now your getting into semantics. The output of the scrubber which has scrubbed air from the skimmer and outside air in my setup goes to the skimmer venturi which is connected to the skimmer pump. The pump mixes the scrubber air with the water the pump brings in from the sump. The micro bubbles rise within the skimmer neck creating a foam. The bubbles burst and the air recirculates back to the scrubber. At the same time the water that exits the skimmer also has micro bubbles which is scrubbed air. So yes air does get out of the skimmer. So to make you happy I should say all the air that makes it to the skimmer cup goes back to the scrubber. I figured most people know how a skimmer functions.
Anything else that needs clarification? I would be happy to explain more precisely if needed.

Not meaning to debate semantics. I was not understanding what you were saying and where the excess air went. Now I understand. :)

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The below screenshot shows that when the windows are open and in full recirc that you get the biggest kick in ph. Unfortunately the electronic ball valve even though open, the ph goes beyond my desired setpoint by .11. Most would say hey that's a good ph but when I used to run my upper setpoint at 8.45 before I lowered it I got some pretty bad calcification of my shallow sand bed. I am not saying it was the only factor but I do believe it was a contributing factor after reading some of Randy's writeups . I have redone my sand bed since then and all is good so far. The full recirc is what I primarily run and it also has the outside air input into the scrubber. Works great for what I want and the ball valve keeps it from going above my current setpoint of 8.38. The outside air to the scrubber only test surprised me a little. I was expecting a higher ph more inline with the full recirc. I believe that having the house sealed in this mode that the surface agitation is adding a decent amount of CO2 to the tank water. Not very efficient IMO. The full recirc configuration with outside air input even with a sealed house performs much better than the outside air only to the scrubber.

I haven't read anything before about high pH causing calcification of the sand bed. I routinely hit 8.5 and sometimes 8.6 on the weekends as co-witnessed by my Apex probe and my Apera probe . However, I haven't experienced any issues like that.

How are they related?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read anything before about high pH causing calcification of the sand bed. I routinely hit 8.5 and sometimes 8.6 on the weekends as co-witnessed by my Apex probe and my Apera probe . However, I haven't experienced any issues like that.

How are they related?
Below is one of the threads that @Randy Holmes-Farley replied to. Look at post #13. Also as I mentioned, I said I believe it was ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTING FACTORS and not the ONLY factor. When it come to reef chemistry I tend to believe what Randy says is fact.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've seen no evidence of build up on the pumps or hardening of the sand bed. Knock on wood. Steady as she goes

I do run a lower Alk though (around 7.5 to 8 dkh), so maybe that's how I get away with it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've seen no evidence of build up on the pumps or hardening of the sand bed. Knock on wood. Steady as she goes

I do run a lower Alk though (around 7.5 to 8 dkh), so maybe that's how I get away with it.

It’s much more likely to occur with new sand. Old sand is coated with stuff that inhibits calcium and carbonate from getting to the calcium carbonate surfaces. Organics, bacteria, phosphate, etc.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine is several years old now. I would prefer to actually cap the pH at 8.4, but I've made my tank and setup so C02 efficient, it's almost hard to keep the pH below 8.35 as co witnessed by two different meters. I routinely see 8.5 and 8.y these days. Removed the recirc on the scrubber, helped a little. But once I added the ERV, the pH is staying way up with relatively low office c02 levels. I track it with a data logging meter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back