My clown fish is hiding in the corner form the other one

gates billions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two maroon clowns and the person we bought them for supposedly said they were a pair but when i put them in my tank they started to fight i know its normal for clowns to fight but after the fighting ended and the smaller clown lost he now hides up on the corner of my tank and the bigger one chases him away and tries to bite him I'm not sure what this is as I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby I would very much appreciate some help on this.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will most likely need to remove one of the clowns. Aggression (especially chronic and serious aggression) among fish causes many issues.

Since you are new, it may be better to trade both of the maroons in get a more docile and beginner friendly species of clown, as Maroon clowns can get quite big, and quite aggressive

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Maroon clowns are extremely territorial. One may be one too many.

You will likely need to get rid of one, but I would consider both and be sure to let the LFS or buyer know that they are NOT a pair and fight.

Were they a pair? Maybe, but new tank and new territory and stress. They may no longer be.

Do you have a sump with guarded pump intakes? An in tank acclimation box? Some means to protect the smaller?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but form of aggression varies, if no tails or fins have bites out of them, then it's I assume dominance based.
I understand this spieces are aggressive nature.
Look into trading them in at your LFS, then you can work on your aquarium without worrying:)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two maroon clowns and the person we bought them for supposedly said they were a pair but when i put them in my tank they started to fight i know its normal for clowns to fight but after the fighting ended and the smaller clown lost he now hides up on the corner of my tank and the bigger one chases him away and tries to bite him I'm not sure what this is as I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby I would very much appreciate some help on this.
So Ive got a female maroon and am trying to pair her with a male. Shes 3 inches, he is under an inch. How big are yours? Maroons especially need to have size difference and separated so they can look at eachother through a barrier. My other clown pair I was able to drop a second smaller one in and they were instantly fine. Keeping them separated for a while also helps. Maroons dont like to be submissive!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive got a female maroon and am trying to pair her with a male. Shes 3 inches, he is under an inch. How big are yours? Maroons especially need to have size difference and separated so they can look at eachother through a barrier. My other clown pair I was able to drop a second smaller one in and they were instantly fine. Keeping them separated for a while also helps. Maroons dont like to be submissive!
PS two different tanks so people dont think I have maroons in with percs!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back