First Clownfish - is this normal?

Santac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just got my first fish (Clownfish) three days ago and after hiding for the first day, the fish picked a spot in the corner where there is constant current due to the overflow and spends all its time there. Even when I feed and turn the pumps off, he only eats food that floats an inch or two away, anything further he ignores.

I try to feed him 3 times a day, but he eats between 2-5 flakes or pieces of frozen food at a time.

Is this normal behavior, and he is just clowning me? Also is this enough food for a small Clown?

I checked all my water parameters and only the phosphates are elevated.

Other info: only fish in the 26G tank, 1 month of cycling, zero ammonia/nitrite. Lights on 10h a day including ramp ups.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a tank raised fish then the corner is where it feels safe. As far as eating, if it was tank raised it was brought up on pellets. Probably TDO brand.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are funny. They'll host any place you don't think or want them too. I seen a lot of post on here of them hosting in corners. I know mine did when first added to the tank. But over the past year plus they've moved to host one of my torches instead.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this. Mine were hosted by my return nozzle in the upper left corner of my tank for almost two years before moving down and making a home in my duncan coral.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this. Mine were hosted by my return nozzle in the upper left corner of my tank for almost two years before moving down and making a home in my duncan coral.
My two in my 15 gallon host an empty shell lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies! Really put my mind to ease. You guys/gals are the best.
Yeah really if clowns are laying down and breathing heavy or have white spots then thats time to worry. But they are weird fish and do really weird things. Bobbing up and down in the same place is kinda their thing!

TienDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it times. It will get comfortable in a new tank, and starts swimming all over the tank. It will come back to the spot it likes though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back