my coral is not opening for 2 weeks

  • Thread starter Thread starter kwang0429
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kwang0429

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2025
Messages
48
Reaction score
6
Location
san diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got them in the tank, they were opened for 2 days, but after 2 days they all closed up and it's been 2 weeks since, and there is no sign of them opening... any ideas?

Thanks!

Image_20251002093753_31_1.jpg Image_20251002093755_32_1.jpg
 
We can't help without more info please. Can you share your water parameters, type of lighting and flow, how old is your tank?

I'm not positive, but it looks like it used to be a duncan, they do well in medium light and flow, IMO most people have them about halfway up the rockwork.
 
my Tank is about 2 month old, 90LA 21 gallon take with 40 pounds of live rocks, besides PH being high and hardness being high, everything else is on par, I haven't tested the magnesium and ammonia yet, gotta go get the kit today and report back. but nitrate, nitrite, chlorine are all in place.

I have AI blade coral grow running everything at easy set up which is 50% on all color.
 

Attachments

  • Image_20251002122809_34_1.jpg
    Image_20251002122809_34_1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Image_20251002122939_35_1.jpg
    Image_20251002122939_35_1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 37
Just curious what kind of rock is all that?

Also, not familiar with that test kit, but strips in general aren't really known for being all that accurate. Hanna and Salifert kits are much better options.

Looks like your wavemaker is pointed right at the return nozzle? I might move that to the front of the tank, or at least point it in that direction assuming its adjustable... likely better overall flow that way.
 
I hope someone can give you better idea's, for myself I think its very hard to figure out what happened at this point. Your other corals look fine, so I don't think its a water quality or lighting issue.

Going forward, alkalinity is the most important parameter for lps and sps corals, you'll want to test often and keep that stable. As mentioned above, you'll want to ditch the test strip and invest in good quality test kits. Good luck
 
Just curious what kind of rock is all that?

Also, not familiar with that test kit, but strips in general aren't really known for being all that accurate. Hanna and Salifert kits are much better options.

Looks like your wavemaker is pointed right at the return nozzle? I might move that to the front of the tank, or at least point it in that direction assuming its adjustable... likely better overall flow that way.
Thank you so much for the suggestion, this 90LA tank has been giving me alot of hassles regarding back chamber not retaining the same water level as the tank, so I put the wave maker there to help to get the flow better into the back chamber, since my return pump is pumping on the opposite site, I though that might be ideal to make a circulation.

If this is not desired, can you please suggest some other ways ?

thank you !
 
Thank you so much for the suggestion, this 90LA tank has been giving me alot of hassles regarding back chamber not retaining the same water level as the tank, so I put the wave maker there to help to get the flow better into the back chamber, since my return pump is pumping on the opposite site, I though that might be ideal to make a circulation.

If this is not desired, can you please suggest some other ways ?

thank you !
I don't quite follow, but I like getting more circular flow around all sides of my tank. 6ft, center overflow, I have two gyres perpendicular, and they both point in to the back glass to bounce off the sides and front and ultimately have flow going in to the center of my tank.
 
I don't quite follow, but I like getting more circular flow around all sides of my tank. 6ft, center overflow, I have two gyres perpendicular, and they both point in to the back glass to bounce off the sides and front and ultimately have flow going in to the center of my tank.
so the nozzle is on the top right front and my wave maker is on the top left back. hope this explains it. Thanks !
 
When I first got them in the tank, they were opened for 2 days, but after 2 days they all closed up and it's been 2 weeks since, and there is no sign of them opening... any ideas?

Thanks!

Image_20251002093753_31_1.jpg Image_20251002093755_32_1.jpg
Assure Phosphates have not climbed, flow and light are moderate and proper salinity to start with
 
my Tank is about 2 month old, 90LA 21 gallon take with 40 pounds of live rocks, besides PH being high and hardness being high, everything else is on par, I haven't tested the magnesium and ammonia yet, gotta go get the kit today and report back. but nitrate, nitrite, chlorine are all in place.

I have AI blade coral grow running everything at easy set up which is 50% on all color.
I would get a better set of tests done, maybe the LFS can test for you?

You need to know phosphates, and you would prefer more accurate results for the rest as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new