My corals are not doing well

Evie123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I've been struggling to find what's wrong with my corals all of a sudden. This early afternoon they were still doing fine and later today they were not doing well all of a sudden.

My water parameters using colombo test kits are as follows:

KH 10.5
Ca 490ppm
Mg 1400ppm
Po4 0.3-0.4 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 2-5ppm
SG 1.022-1.023

I run my tank around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. And as mentioned they were doing find early this afternoon (see pictures below).

IMG-20231227-WA0001.jpg

And see the picture of them now below this line as well.

20231228_225222.jpg
20231228_225238.jpg

The blastomussa corals have always been doing bad and I can not figure out the reason.

Please help me as these corals were quite expensive and I do not want to lose them. Is there anything that i am doing wrong?

I am running a red sea max e-led 170 for more than a year now. It also contains a peppermint shrimp, two clownfish, one firefish and a lawnmower blenny.

Please tell me if something is wrong, I would like to get as much opinions on this as possible and get it sorted out quickly.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Hey,

I've been struggling to find what's wrong with my corals all of a sudden. This early afternoon they were still doing fine and later today they were not doing well all of a sudden.

My water parameters using colombo test kits are as follows:

KH 10.5
Ca 490ppm
Mg 1400ppm
Po4 0.3-0.4 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 2-5ppm
SG 1.022-1.023

I run my tank around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. And as mentioned they were doing find early this afternoon (see pictures below).

IMG-20231227-WA0001.jpg

And see the picture of them now below this line as well.

20231228_225222.jpg
20231228_225238.jpg

The blastomussa corals have always been doing bad and I can not figure out the reason.

Please help me as these corals were quite expensive and I do not want to lose them. Is there anything that i am doing wrong?

I am running a red sea max e-led 170 for more than a year now. It also contains a peppermint shrimp, two clownfish, one firefish and a lawnmower blenny.

Please tell me if something is wrong, I would like to get as much opinions on this as possible and get it sorted out quickly.
The first thing I notice is that your salinity is too low for coral. It should be 1.026.

That would not cause a problem in hours though, what else has changed?

Has anyone sprayed anything in the room, any kids visiting?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is really jumping out at me. I like my nutrients a little higher, nitrate 10-15 and phosphate.05-.1. But I wouldn’t think your levels would cause a problem. More likely what @gbroadbridge is suggesting but wouldn’t be measurable. I would do a large water change and add activated charcoal. No sudden deaths, sea cucumber or anemone? Is a leather coral shedding?

OP
OP
E

Evie123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no sudden deaths that I am aware of. I do not have a sea cucumber and all the anemones that are in there are still there and doing well. I do think one of my leathers shed around a week ago. However, I always use activated carbon in my tanks. Also nothined was sprayed in the room of the tank recently and no children present who could put their hands on the aquarium either.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no sudden deaths that I am aware of. I do not have a sea cucumber and all the anemones that are in there are still there and doing well. I do think one of my leathers shed around a week ago. However, I always use activated carbon in my tanks. Also nothined was sprayed in the room of the tank recently and no children present who could put their hands on the aquarium either.
All I can suggest is fresh carbon and a large water change and see how they respond, fingers crossed!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @kevgib67 mentioned, if you can't see anything else amiss, the easiest way to help things out is a large water change and new activated carbon.

It's risk free and may help put right whatever has gone wrong.

You could send a water sample for ICP testing but any answer there would be weeks away.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But could shedding of a leather coral cause this problem? And if so how?
I hope this helps, this does not mean the leather coral is the cause. I’ve had one in my tank for almost two years but I know people will throw carbon in which bind toxins if released during a shed.
0F6235F7-1698-4242-9632-1342B9420A0D.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back