My corals wont open

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 75g tank to a new 100g and my coral even after the new tank cycle and everything, it hasnt been coming out, my star, hammer, torch, etc etc. they dont come out like they did before in my old tank. I had the water tested from 2 different fish stores and both said my water is great. Does anyone know why my corals arent coming out like they suppose to? My tank is just lps and soft corals. I tried moving them in different spots but seems like its not doing anything, they look fine but they just arent coming out

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 75g tank to a new 100g and my coral even after the new tank cycle and everything, it hasnt been coming out, my star, hammer, torch, etc etc. they dont come out like they did before in my old tank. I had the water tested from 2 different fish stores and both said my water is great. Does anyone know why my corals arent coming out like they suppose to? My tank is just lps and soft corals. I tried moving them in different spots but seems like its not doing anything, they look fine but they just arent coming out

Did you just move them over recently? Or has it been a few weeks?

Lighting and flow similar to before?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been over 2 months now, lighting upgraded from AI 16 prime to the AI Hydra 32 and flow we added another flow on the other side because the tank was bigger

With the lighting upgrade are you hitting the corals with relatively the same intensity.

Same for flow is flow similar?

If they were used to slower flow and now are getting blasted that would explain it, same with lighting. If they got moderate light before and now are getting high light that will take some adjustment time as well.

You said you had the parameters checked at a LFS. Not to knock either of your LFS, but not all give good advice, or know how to properly test.

Did they give you the values? What do they use to test? And what all did they test?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There has been changes with new environment.
Did you acclimate to new tank and Match salinity ?
Did you introduce at low light, then slowly ramp up?

Maintain moderate light and water flow for now before starting schedules

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the lighting upgrade are you hitting the corals with relatively the same intensity.

Same for flow is flow similar?

If they were used to slower flow and now are getting blasted that would explain it, same with lighting. If they got moderate light before and now are getting high light that will take some adjustment time as well.

You said you had the parameters checked at a LFS. Not to knock either of your LFS, but not all give good advice, or know how to properly test.

Did they give you the values? What do they use to test? And what all did they test?
The light is the same for the most part except we made it more blue than before, flow is alittle more because if the 2nd flow, but we just recently put that in. And honestly im still a beginner at this, thats why i dont know how the testing are, i just bring the water to the fish place and have them test it.

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been changes with new environment.
Did you acclimate to new tank and Match salinity ?
Did you introduce at low light, then slowly ramp up?

Maintain moderate light and water flow for now before starting schedules
Yes, we had a person at the fish store help us with those in the beginning because we’re still beginners at this, idk if they did it right or not. But we did start the light and flow off slow then moderate because they’re not coming out so we dont want to use higher light and flow

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is part of routine maintenance and care.

You dont drive your car around changing the oil just wherever you feel like it.

You dont plant a bunch of flowers without knowing how much light and watering is needed.

You need to get into basic testing. Not like playing a crazy scientist, but basic testing

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You dont plant a bunch of flowers without knowing how much light and watering is needed.

You need to get into basic testing. Not like playing a crazy scientist, but basic testing
Will do, ill start looking at videos to do research on it, i never knew, i thought if i get my water tested by the fish store people, that would of been okay. Thanks for the advice!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is the same for the most part except we made it more blue than before, flow is alittle more because if the 2nd flow, but we just recently put that in. And honestly im still a beginner at this, thats why i dont know how the testing are, i just bring the water to the fish place and have them test it.

Without any actual values and insight into parameters it's a crapshoot trying to help.

As @Obsessed with fish said it's either a parameter issue or something with the change in environment.

Without more information we can't offer solid advice.

As @ZoWhat stated, start picking up your own test kits and performing the tests yourself. Don't rely on your LFS.

Hanna, Salifert, Red Sea, Nyos are all brands you would want to consider, avoid test strips and API testing kits.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, ill start looking at videos to do research on it, i never knew, i thought if i get my water tested by the fish store people, that would of been okay. Thanks for the advice!

They may have just checked ammonia and nitrate. To ensure you had been cycled. They probably didn't test anything else especially if they didn't provide you with any of the test values after.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Allow them to settle yet. Just assure salinity isnt too high or low, same with PH and Nitrate
Did the helpers furnish water also ?
Do you have test kits to verify numbers ? What brand if so

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow them to settle yet. Just assure salinity isnt too high or low, same with PH and Nitrate
Did the helpers furnish water also ?
Do you have test kits to verify numbers ? What brand if so
I just did the test myself
Salifert brand

Salinity 1.027
Phosphate 0.1
Calcium 400
Kh 9.9-10.2
Mag 1380
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any actual values and insight into parameters it's a crapshoot trying to help.

As @Obsessed with fish said it's either a parameter issue or something with the change in environment.

Without more information we can't offer solid advice.

As @ZoWhat stated, start picking up your own test kits and performing the tests yourself. Don't rely on your LFS.

Hanna, Salifert, Red Sea, Nyos are all brands you would want to consider, avoid test strips and API testing kits.
Just did the test myself
Salifert

Salinity 1.027
Phosphate 0.1
Calcium 400
Kh 9.9-10.2
Mag 1380
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

OP
OP
J

Jt2swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just did the test myself
Salifert brand

Salinity 1.027
Phosphate 0.1
Calcium 400
Kh 9.9-10.2
Mag 1380
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back