My diamond goby goes to bed early and misses dinner

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby is a hard worker with a strict bedtime. When he turns in, he barricades himself in his cave until morning. We've had our lights bluer and lower to ward off some recent algae, and now he's been hitting the cave around 4pm :(. We normally feed at 5:30 - so should I feed earlier, keep the lights up longer, or he'll be fine from all the sand sifting?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to watch his belly very closely. If it looks like it is sinking in, then he's not getting enough nutrients from sifting alone. You may need to feed earlier or leave the lights on longer so be doesn't think it's bedtime. I feed mine directly with a turkey baster to ensure he gets enough food.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to watch his belly very closely. If it looks like it is sinking in, then he's not getting enough nutrients from sifting alone. You may need to feed earlier or leave the lights on longer so be doesn't think it's bedtime. I feed mine directly with a turkey baster to ensure he gets enough food.
Ok! Thanks for the advice! :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen twice a day. My diamond eats great in the morning and is a sifting machine all day long! I also like to feed between 645 and 730 at night. I'd say he is up for dinner about half the time. Same with my ornate and melanurus.

Like @Idoc said, keep an eye on the weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen twice a day. My diamond eats great in the morning and is a sitting machine all day long! I also like to feed between 645 and 730 at night. I'd say he is up for dinner about half the time. Same with my ornate and melanurus.

Like @Idoc said, keep an eye on the weight.
Thanks! I think he looks good, but I switched my feeding to mornings so he can enjoy some frozen with the others.
PXL_20210119_192101457.MP.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back