How do I get my Diamond Goby to eat?

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I received a diamond goby from my lfs about a week ago and it has been doing great in my tank! However, he is a little skittish when it comes to feeding time. He darts under the rocks as soon as I take the lid off. I've tried putting mysis and pellets in the sand, but my longnose hawk, clownfish, snails, and crabs get to it before the goby comes out of his burrow. Any tips?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish take time to acclimate to the new surroundings.
Also, when i buy a new fish i always make a point of having a few preferred meaty options if they're omnivorous as pellets always seem to be less exciting to them.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sift the sand to find the food they need usually, after awhile they’ll eat with the rest of crew. When they learn it’s easier to eat with the other fish then it is to sift, they’ll slow down on the sifting. The diamond gobies I’ve had have had suicide leap out of tank with no lid also.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sift the sand to find the food they need usually, after awhile they’ll eat with the rest of crew. When they learn it’s easier to eat with the other fish then it is to sift, they’ll slow down on the sifting. The diamond gobies I’ve had have had suicide leap out of tank with no lid also.
Yep I’ve had other types of gobies that jumped.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont eat it eats ditritus from the sand bed so if you have a new tank you should send it back Valenciennea gobys should be avoided unless you have a old big tank i learned the hard way too

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont eat it eats ditritus from the sand bed so if you have a new tank you should send it back Valenciennea gobys should be avoided unless you have a old big tank i learned the hard way too
My tank is 3 years old. It has plenty of live foods in the sand, but I’m not sure it’ll last forever.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back