How does your Pistol Shrimp graze?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
12,730
Location
Pensacola, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I've ever sat and watched one of my pistol shrimps eat. Usually they just sorta grab some mysis or pellets and take them into their burrow when I feed the fish.

But today mine decided to do a little daytime grazing and roped my Goby into lookout duty away from the burrow while it awkwardly ate some algae directly off of the rock.

For your viewing pleasure:



Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

It just seems silly to me how it actively leans into whatever it is eating instead of using its small claw to grab and tear off stuff.
 
Looks amazing. I never thought about how they eat.
Right!? I was expecting this:

200w.gif


Not this:

eating-french-fries-james-daniels.gif
 
When I turn the pumps off to feed the pistol shrimp usually pops out of this hole in the rock and grabs food as it floats by. Crabs often hang out near the hole which leads to lots of snapping. Not sure why it does not go by the goby at the opening of the burrow, but it does not. Your video is much more interesting, lol

20260814_120818(0).jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new