My DIY ATS attempt

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed @ca1ore for the most part and it turned out well. My only concern is that my mesh wasn't hard plastic and seemed to be a synthetic fiber kinda thing. here's day 1
IMG_2709.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your using1 of the new red led sump lights. Algae lights. Dont be afraid to use a supte bright light under their on it. Your trying to grow the HA their and not in the DT. They work man kuddos congrats! Reef on bro!
D

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your using1 of the new red led sump lights. Algae lights. Dont be afraid to use a supte bright light under their on it. Your trying to grow the HA their and not in the DT. They work man kuddos congrats! Reef on bro!
D
I bought the light awhile ago for my fw mangrove. Do you think it'll work aight for the ats?

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should i just get something else

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the good old clip on reptile metal reflector light like at the hardware store with a florescent house bulb like a 40w.
Im using the small 6 or 8" diameter one right now. I almost bought the big 12" dome one today lol.
Maybe try ur.light and see 1st.
How longs ur tank been running?
Shouldnt be long and you will start seeing.colors on the mat.
D

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the good old clip on reptile metal reflector light like at the hardware store with a florescent house bulb like a 40w.
Im using the small 6 or 8" diameter one right now. I almost bought the big 12" dome one today lol.
Maybe try ur.light and see 1st.
How longs ur tank been running?
Shouldnt be long and you will start seeing.colors on the mat.
D
8 months now. how many days should I wait for growth before I switch lights

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried some lights that looked exactly like that except for had 4 arms and to be honest they were useless for me. Used them for vegetable seedlings instead and they were great for that. Used a different cheap led off amazon for refuge and it did great. Maybe you will have better luck than me with them though

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talons response tells me spend the $15 and get the reflector lamp and basic bulb from the hardware store lol.
Ur tanks 8months old... depends on the amount of light u hit it with and the flow u send. I like mine slow.
Id change the mesh for sure. Urs looks too far spaced.
Id give it a month and you will see growth probably. You have an algae issue in the display?

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talons response tells me spend the $15 and get the reflector lamp and basic bulb from the hardware store lol.
Ur tanks 8months old... depends on the amount of light u hit it with and the flow u send. I like mine slow.
Id give it a month and you will see growth probably. You have an algae issue in the display?
well at least i got the pvc right lol. not really just added a bunch of fish and expect one lol

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any led suggestions?

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Even with my horrible setup (which has slightly been improved) my nitrates are bottoming out. I used the light I initially ran but swapped the mesh out for what @monkeyCmonkeyDo linked.

I have a lot (too many) fish and nitrates are constantly below 2 on salifert with 0 water changes. Ive had to reduce the photoperiod to about 12 ish hours and im reevaluating at end of the week if i need to increase or decrease again. No new hair algae growth anywhere in DT without having to do any manual removal.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back