My DIY freeze dried food recipe

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple things to be aware: The arctic copepods are calanus. My recipe used everything on your picture except I opted out of bloodworms.
Thanks for pointing this out - I can't imagine how I missed that.

Good luck! I’ve liked my recipe and I’ve considered increasing the ratio of mysis/krill, but haven’t decided to do it quite yet.

Thanks - care to share what ratio you are planning to try?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for pointing this out - I can't imagine how I missed that.

Thanks - care to share what ratio you are planning to try?
Personally I feel like the brine shrimp may just be a cheap filler and not really helpful (I didn’t see any whole brine shrimp it felt like to me it was a compressed powder). This was approximately 10% of the recipe.

Depending on the type of fish in your aquarium, should influence how you reallocate that (bigger mouth vs smaller mouth). I plan to reallocate that 10% to a combination of calanus, mysis, and/or krill personally.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel like the brine shrimp may just be a cheap filler and not really helpful (I didn’t see any whole brine shrimp it felt like to me it was a compressed powder). This was approximately 10% of the recipe. Depending on your type of fish you have/target I’d reallocate that 10% to a combination of calanus, mysis, and/or krill personally.
Brine Shrimp is what I left out originally - and I swapped in some blood worms thinking that the blood worms had some nutritional value to them as compared to the brine shrimp (and fish generally enjoy them).

But I'm also okay with leaving out the blood worms and just increasing the krill/mysis ratios.

:thinking-face:

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has tried this mix! Been dealing with incredibly picky fish that should be quite easy to feed normally (e.g. a royal gramma that only eats brine and not mysis, a lyre tail anthias that does the same but is even more picky about it) and am looking to try other options besides reef jerky, as these same problem children weren't too interested in it when I fired up my Plank

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has tried this mix! Been dealing with incredibly picky fish that should be quite easy to feed normally (e.g. a royal gramma that only eats brine and not mysis, a lyre tail anthias that does the same but is even more picky about it) and am looking to try other options besides reef jerky, as these same problem children weren't too interested in it when I fired up my Plank
Are they eating Reef Jerky?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they eating Reef Jerky?
Looks like I missed this reply! Roughly 2/3 of them are, but not everyone. My boxfish is the main issue- eats like a pig for anything frozen, but not a fan of anything dried. Ideally looking to find a blend that will make both him and my anthers happy, since they're the most picky. Beyond that it tends to be reasonably straightforward

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back