My dream fish was apparently my anemone's dream fish too

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6518A971-B360-47E2-883B-A30169376851.jpeg
a few weeks ago, I got my Holy Grail fish, a Goldflake Angel. He was doing really well, active, eating, getting along with all his tankmates. What a beautiful fish. On Monday, I left for a business trip. My daughter was in charge of feeding, keeping ATO full. When i came home on Thursday, i checked the tank, everyone seemend fine, but I could not find the Goldflake. Unusual because he was already coming to the front when he saw me. I looked for an hour, couldnt find him. In the tank, out of the tank, sump, everywhere. I couldnt figure it out.

Fast forward to this morning. Walking past the tank, I noticed something coming out of my Long tentacle anemone. It was my goldflake, the anemone had consumed it and was now in the process of expelling the front half of the fish. I have no idea how this seemingly healthy and happy fish was eaten by an anemone, or if the fish somehow quixkly became sick and then eaten while in a weakened state. Im heartbroken, and confused how it happened. I have a Bangaii cardinal that hangs out near the anemone all the time, and he's fine. Afraid to replace him. Any thoughts?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no. I'm sorry for your loss :( circle of life I guess

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it died and then the anemone ate it?
Maybe, Ill never know, but when i left on Monday the fish was the picture of health, active, eating. Not sure what could have caused him to die so quickly.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that sucks. I googled the fish and it can up as a $400 fish. I gasped. Feel so sad this happened.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. If you travel a lot perhaps a web cam would allow you to check in on the tank and see things your daughter would not be trained to notice. I sure she feels terrible also.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. If you travel a lot perhaps a web cam would allow you to check in on the tank and see things your daughter would not be trained to notice. I sure she feels terrible also.
Thought about the webcam, My daughter is a teenager and she's pretty into the fish tank, so she knew to do a headcount and make sure everyone was eating. She swears that fish seemed healthy and happy the day before. I made it very clear to her that I don't think she did anything wrong and it was just a freak thing.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are stunning fish, I saw one in my LFS.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read of this. I was sad to see a Haddoni Carpet Anemone expel a young pair of Black & White Clowns at an LFS once.

As far as your Banggai cardinalfish, it is not uncommon for them to hang out and go through an LTA or BTA's tentacles.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back