My dream has become reality

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
My name is Alex , obviously. I am a transplant from Florida to the lovely state of Arkansas. 15 years now, I have always had some sort of saltwater tank since my early 20s, now 50. Wow has this hobby changed since I started, Most of my tanks have been 55s.:D
DSC_0003.JPG

This is one that had an under gravel filter with power heads to create the flow, I think I had some of the first metal halide lights that actually kept that anemone alive for a few years.
DSC_0005.JPG
same tank different view, just loved that clown. Had him for 15 years before he died of old age. He even survived a move across the country. But I regress, I have always had a tank, but what I wanted was a TANK.;) You know something big enough to swim in after all I live in Florida for a good deal of my youth, we would steal my buddies dads tanks and go try to catch our own fish sometimes with great success. Tried to run all of the latest stuff to help keep stuff alive and I would for a while.
Switched to metal halide and a German trickle filter or wet dry if you will.
My wife loved those electric bills, but things seem to grow fairly well. I would be happy for a while until I read about the latest new gadgets and want to upgrade, you know powerheads, different filter medias, lights, there were always new lights, but I was still missing something. Read all the newest literature being published. Then the enlightenment happened, found a couple of fellas that new their stuff, I'm sure you've heard of them, Mike Polletta and Ling Sy. So I built my own Sump and started to run the Miracle mud with some microalgae.
my sump.jpg

This is the way the tank looked like before the new sump, I was so disgusted that I almost tore it down and sold everything
my tank.jpg

Things were just surviving, if they lived at all. Aiptaesia (sorry on the spelling)were taking over and horrible algae problems due to a bad water supply. After a few adjustments to my husbandry schedule and a new RODI unit the tank took off.
phone 240.jpg

Before someone calls the tang patrol, I only keep the yellow tangs until they get so big and trade one of my LFS for a small one. On with the story.:cool: Well I got a great deal on a 125, so I bought it, sat in the living room for 3 months before I built my own stand
new tank 002.jpg
then another month rounding up all the other stuff to get it up and running. Well yesterday was the day. Stuff I added , Oceanrevive LED lights 3 , 1200gph pumps 2, 30lbs miracle mud, 40 gallon breeder for the sump, home made ATO. I only have a pic after the build for now, my son helped and took pics along the way so I'll share those when he sends them to me. Here's the new tank.
new tank 006.jpg

Sorry about the glare on the thank and my forehead. I own a donut shop and about to head to bed after a full day of tearing down the 55 and putting up the 125. I'm stoked though, the dream of having a larger tank has come true. I will post more picks on Friday to show you the plumbing and my super cool stand. thanks for now, Alex

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start I am an old salt too. Like you said a 55 gallon was a big tank back in the day. Glad to see you starting a new build.
Thanks ,I will be updating so I can track the progress of this one in pictures, nothing feels better that to see a mature tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, congrats on the upgrade and it looks like you're off to a great start. Thanks for sharing your story. But it's time to move back to Florida, specifically Southwest Florida, and open a donut shop down here. We are in serious need of a good donut place...lol.

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, congrats on the upgrade and it looks like you're off to a great start. Thanks for sharing your story. But it's time to move back to Florida, specifically Southwest Florida, and open a donut shop down here. We are in serious need of a good donut place...lol.
You know the wife and I had discussed moving to the Keys a few times in the last couple of years, we love to vacation down there, we're both avid divers, that's why we have a small piece of the ocean in the living room. You're in the south west part how close to Tampa?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, The stand turned out well.

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, The stand turned out well.
Thank you , the stand did turn out well, years of thinking about what I wanted to do, I'll post some picks tonight on the tank and plumbing ,I think people will get some good Ideas.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the wife and I had discussed moving to the Keys a few times in the last couple of years, we love to vacation down there, we're both avid divers, that's why we have a small piece of the ocean in the living room. You're in the south west part how close to Tampa?

I'm actually a couple hours south of Tampa, in Naples. Not a great area for diving, but a great area for a nice little bakery!!!

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rustic look of that stand. And congrats on the tank. I'm an older reefer too and have to admit, I laughed out loud with the pic of the undergravel filter because I know that used to be top market filtration. Ahh, the olden days...

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rustic look of that stand. And congrats on the tank. I'm an older reefer too and have to admit, I laughed out loud with the pic of the undergravel filter because I know that used to be top market filtration. Ahh, the olden days...
The stand is built out of old white washed pine tongue and groove that came from our house when we remodeled it. The house was originally built in the 40's. Yes I laugh when I think about all the things we tried to keep fish alive, corals and anemones were impossible. Use to put an anemone in the tank and a week later it would turn inside out and die, man I hated that, but now I an keep one alive and growing until I get tired of it and trade it or it wanders and get sucked it to a pump.

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand was built using 2x4s as the main support, then I skinned it in those old pine boards but secured them a little different then usual. I built the face as one unit and have used magnets to mount it to the front.
003.jpg

now if I have any issues I can just pull the entire face off to get to any and all of the plumbing underneath.
006.jpg

I still have to finish the electrical, mount the strip and clean it up, but she is running and all of the fish so far are adjusting well.

OP
OP
icemanalex

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going through some pictures I would like to share.
001.jpg

So this is the every day in and out of the tank.
007.jpg

I attached these small plates of metal to stick to the magnets.
005.jpg

This is my $35 ATO system, $5 float switch, $20 for the small pond pump and $10 for the plastic container. Made the sump from a 40gallon breeder tank ( on sale for $40) acrylic from the Depot and my router. Then I used a small leftover piece to make the bracket for the float switch, drilled some holes in the bracket for adjustments to my water level and wired in the pump. Works great so far (knock on wood)
006.jpg

001.jpg

Back