My Experience Battling Green Hair Algae (GHA)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my experience battling GHA and how long it has taken me attempting to solve the issue. For those that don't want to read about the setup and circumstances of my aquarium, skip right to the Observations section.

Background
I have been keeping reef aquariums for many years and have always been fairly successful with coral growth to the point were I needed to frag corals continually. Well, that was until I moved to a different part of the UK and setup a brand new system. For nearly two years, although the corals I have kept have grown, I have never managed the growth I once had and have battled with hair algae for a long time

Before I explain my experiences, here are some details on water parameters and dosage as of today -
  • Aquarium water volume 185l (47.5 US gallons)
  • Alkalinity: 10.00 - 11.00 dKH
  • Calcium: 410-430
  • Nitrate: 3-5
  • Phosphate: 0.02 - 0.1 (more on this later!)
  • Magnesium: 1380 - 1425
  • Salt: Reef Crystals but recently switched to DD H2Ocean Pro
  • Kalkwasser dosage: 4l per week (1.05 US gallons)
  • Calcium/Alkalinity dosage: 20ml of each (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php)
  • Water Changes: 20l (5.28 US gallons) per week
The Start of the Algae Problem
It is probably kinda hard to believe, but I have had GHA for about 1.5 years. The cause of it was very simple, my stupidity! I was given a whole lot of live rock that had dried out and I used this in my new aquarium. In the beginning, I started to see clumps appear in places and just assumed (I know….never assume!) it was caused by a bit of die off. Then, over next few months, more appeared on large parts of the rock and I started to pull it off the rocks each week while performing a water change. Then, things got worse as it started to grow on the silicon seams of the aquarium. At this stage, my Nitrate was approx 20ppm and phosphate was reading zero on my Salifert test kit so I thought I was dealing with a Nitrate problem and started increasing water changes from just over 20% per week to 30% per week. The water changes achieved nothing so I starting to lower the light levels removing the white light from my LED’s and increasing the blue light but again, this did nothing to improve matters. Changing this amount of water and continually pulling GHA each week become very frustrating very quickly so I starting to think some impurities might be getting through the RO/DI unit. Therefore, I added a second DI pod to the unit so as soon the TDS meter showed 1, I replaced the DI resin and always used the pod with the new resin on the last pod. While this was going on, my corals were all fine and although I did not have massive growth and did not need to add much calcium or alkalinity.

Thinking it maybe Phosphate
I then started to consider that the rock might be leaching phosphate and yes, you would have thought I would have come to this point a bit earlier! However, as every phosphate test was reading zero, I assumed (I know, I know, never assume!) it can't be phosphate. Also, at that point, I was not convinced that rock could hold onto phosphate then release it back into the water column. However, I brought some Rowaphos and as I did not have a reactor, I added some to a filter sock and dropped it into the aquarium. After a few weeks, I noticed the GHA was not growing so aggressively. I therefore came to the conclusion that phosphate maybe the issue and the GHA was absorbing it quickly. I ran Rowaphos like this for a number of months but things did not improve much more. As my Nitrates we still 20ppm, I thought I would tackle both Nitrates and phosphate using Red Sea NOPOX. As Red Sea state that you should remove any phosphate removed, I removed the Rowaphos and started dosing NOPOX. In just over a week, my Nitrates dropped to 5ppm but I had no idea what my phosphate was because I had stopped testing it as there was not point with it just reading zero all the time. Over time, things improved a bit and I was no longer seeing any algae growing on the aquariums silicon with all the algae now just on the rocks themselves. I also noticed I only needed to clean the glass once a week. It is also worth pointing out that I had on occasions taken out the rock, scrubbed the algae off with a toothbrush only to see it appear within a few weeks once placed back into the aquarium.

Adding a cleanup crew
Although I had a few snails and hermit crabs, I added a dozen more of both. After 3 months, I can't say I noticed that much difference and assume I added them too late. Maybe if I added them as soon as I started to see algae grow, things may have been different as they are clearly doing something.

Attempt to outgrow the algae!
I am now about 1 year into this issue and up until now, had assumed (there I go again!) that the rocks would stop leaching phosphate by now and it can only be a matter of weeks or a couple of months before I see algae die off. At this time, I purchased a Neptune and came to realise I had a pH problem. I wont go into detail here on how I fixed that as I documented all this in another post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-experience-raising-ph.394826/

Once I fixed my pH issue, my coral growth started to kick in and switched to two part as my calcium and alkalinity consumption shot up. This gave me thought, if I could grow out my corals further, they would shade the rocks enough to prevent the GHA growing the on rocks as this was the only place it was now growing. I then tested increasing the lighting and observed more coral growth. I also fed the tank more and observed even more coral growth. The problem was the GHA grew quicker! I was still dosing NOPOX and added the Rowaphos back into a filter sock within the aquarium to see if this would help.

Realising it was a phosphate problem!
At this point, I thought I would spend the money on a Hanna phosphorus test kit as this is supposed to detect ultra low levels. I figured, this could be a waste of money as if the algae is taking up phosphate that quick, this test kit would also register zero. Well to my surprise I got a reading of between 0.07 - 0.08 in the first few tests.

Pic1.png

One lesson I learnt from this was when people say they have zero phosphate, it maybe that the normal test kits we are using are not reading low enough.

I had now come to the conclusion my rock was still leaching phosphate and the algae on the rocks was taking it up directly. I lowered my lighting back down, stopped feeding the aquarium so heavily and purchased a reactor and loaded it with Rowaphos. Over the next few weeks, I religiously tested the water and changed the Rowaphos. Keeping my phosphate between 0.01 - 0.03 was problematic as I guess as soon as the Rowaphos took it up very efficiently, the rock leached more out.

Pic2.png

Hydrogen Peroxide
At this point, it seemed I was in a continuous loop of the algae would start to die as the Rowaphos would start to kill some of the algae, a lot off mulm would appear which I siphoned out but then more algae would grow and on an on it went. I then read about using Hydrogen Peroxide. Now I have never added anything like this to any of my aquariums and was a little reluctant. However, at this stage, I could not see an end to this apart from breaking the whole tank down and replacing all my rock. Therefore, I took two approaches -
  1. Removed rock that could easily be removed and squirted the Hydrogen Peroxide onto the algae outside of the aquarium letting it stay out of water for about 3-4 minutes. Then washing it off with saltwater. I did this twice to each piece of rock and never did two rocks on the same day just in case some Hydrogen Peroxide entered back into the aquarium.
  2. Targeted 5ml of Hydrogen Peroxide directly at the base of the algae on the rocks in the aquarium. I only dosed 5ml per day and turned off all the pumps for 5 minutes after target dosing.
These pictures are not great but I just wanted to show you at this stage, that I have started to see some dramatic changes with algae die off. Now whether the algae continues to grow once I stop dosing, only time will tell but I will keep posting back the results for all to see. What I can say is that it "appears" after the algae has died, it does not "seem" to return.

Here a pic before dosing
IMG_20180626_175859.jpg

Here is a pic after a few days of dosing
IMG_20180708_085207.jpg

Here is a pic while Hydrogen Peroxide is being dosed directly to the algae on the rock while in the aquarium
IMG_20180626_175801.jpg

So here are my observations to date but I will keep this thread updated as I continue -
Observations
  • Phosphate can leach from rock for a very long time
    I had no idea I would still be dealing with high phosphate levels a year after adding the rock. I am assuming the rock must have been previously kept in an aquarium with very high phosphate levels which it absorbed over time. Looking back, if I had consistently kept the levels low, I believe I would not have been dealing with the level of algae for so long.

• Shading the rocks wherever possible was one of the most obvious ways to prevent the algae
    I only buy small frags so it takes a long time for these corals to grow to a size that would shade the rocks they are attached to. Where I have corals that have grown to a reasonable size such as my Montipora, this obviously blocked the light the algae needed. It is worth noting that not all light is blocked and algae did grow, die off and then grow again, die off again and continued this cycle.

• Adding clean up crew didn't do anything
    I added a couple of dozen snails and crabs but I did not see any major difference to the algae. Maybe the amount was not enough but I was not convinced from what I observed that it was going to make a difference and suspect it is best to add them as the algae is taking hold, not after the event.
  • Lowering phosphate levels and nitrate levels was not enough to out compete the algae
    In fact this had a negative effect on the corals especially when Nitrates stayed at zero for any length of time. I believe my phosphate never stayed at zero for any length of time as my rock must be loaded with phosphate so leached phosphate into the water column continuously,

• Hydrogen Peroxide temporary lowered the ORP levels in the aquarium
    I have not seen any ill effects to my livestock adding Hydrogen Peroxide but as soon as I add it, ORP drops considerable and takes approx 1 hour to return to the previous level. I do not know what the medium to long term issues are with Hydrogen Peroxide to the aquarium and wherever possible, I remove the rock and treat it outside the aquarium.

• Hydrogen Peroxide made biggest change in reducing the algae
    2-3 targeted doses of 5ml of Hydrogen Peroxide on the algae itself killed it. The algae turning white after a few days and by keeping the phosphate levels low using Rowaphas using the media reactor, prevented it growing back.

• Ensuring the media reactor ran efficiently is key to maintain low phosphate levels
    When I first started using the reactor, the sponges preventing the Rowaphos escaping from the reactor would clog continually, reducing the flow and effectiveness of the reactor. This meant that my phosphate levels would rise at the time the reactor was clogged. Once I altered the sponges used in the reactor, I had a continuous flow of water running through it allowing phosphate to continually be removed from the water column.

• Changing a number of things at similar at times does not help confirming what solved the issue
    Although Hydrogen Peroxide made the most notable change, it is worth noting that the following was also changed -
    • Raised and stabilised pH from low levels of 7.80 to between 8.20 - 8.30 (please see https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-experience-raising-ph.394826/)
    • Reduced lighting intensity
    • Reduced the use of frozen food and increased the use of pellet food
    • Added reactor with Rowaphos to strip out phosphate
    • Switched to adding 2 part for alkalinity and calcium
    • Dosed kalkwaser over every night of the week rather than over just one night.
    • Increased kalkwasser dosage from 2l to 5l per week

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, thanks. I’m on the edge of my seat awaiting future observations and results. Hope you find a difinitive cause and the solution.

I’m currently experiencing my first algae outbreak of epic proportions. For two years I had NO algae issues to speak of, without even really trying. And everyday I’d see 20 posts on here about algae problems and I’d say to myself, I’m so glad I don’t have to put up with that, I’m so lucky. Psh. Now I”m just another frustrated and annoyed reefer with GHA problems.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz , if I knew what I know now, the absolutely first thing I would do is buy a Hanna phosphorus ULR test kit so you can start seeing if phosphate is driving the problem. All the other test kits do not seem to read accurately and without data, we are all stumbling along into the next "solution". I also think because there are many different types of algae in many different types of aquarium bio loads, we never actually narrow down what actually works for each type of algae. I would also like to experiment with an algae scrubber but the decent ones made in the US have not made there way over into the UK yet.
I will keep posting when I have progress but I can tell you that although I am not 100% comfortable dosing Hydrogen Peroxide to my aquarium, it seems at the moment that not only does it kill the algae, it prevents it growing back again. That last point is based on what I have seen 2 weeks after killing the algae with Hydrogen Peroxide so it is too early to say if it is really a "miracle" cure!

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say that it's a miracle cure. I had a couple rocks that were extremely covered in hair algae. So I literally took those couple pieces of rock and soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with nothing but pure h202. It definitely killed the hair algae but I did notice some regrowth after a couple of weeks. The growth I'm having now is a lot slower and is definitely not as much so maybe I just need to do another soak.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-are-your-rocks-so-clean.416688/#post-4882669

How related are posts on this thread and that one.

It's neat we did not collaborate before writing. #results driven info. I never ask for people's nutrient readings in eight years of peroxide thread work because it's unhelpful, hesitation causing information. The nutrient information that pertains to being invaded by algae: are you using sludge topoff water (y-n) are you purposefully housing a sandbed full of filthy clouding waste, alongside an algae challenge (y-n)

Next level progression past what you just saw peroxide do is taking out rocks, knifing them clean externally like a parrot fishes beak, algae free, then treat the cleaned spot with peroxide. This is the war method, unbeatable. It's only for the truly extremely fed up with algae krew and there are three of us I know. The rest are invaded here and there, as allowed. Nice to meet a fellow land taker. Rare these parts
In the 90s books, before n and p tinkering, books said crabs and snails prevented invasions

Always an external hope, never us reaching in and simply forcing a small box of rocks to comply. An imaginary barrier set; we are instructed actually not to act directly on algae and instead only act on water. No

I'll link your thread to our peroxide thread you did well on docs and observation

How's your sandbed looking here

cloudy at all?

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great pic that is

Ultimate anchored brush, that's great pic

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update on a couple of observations I have noticed. Firstly, as you would expect, taking the rock out of the water and applying the Hydrogen Peroxide directly to the algae out of water has much better results. It seems to literally kill it dead over the following few days. When applying Hydrogen Peroxide to the algae in the water, I seem to have to apply it several times to get the same results
Secondly, I am still struggling to keep my phosphate at a stable 0.03. I am running Rowaphos aggressively but I assume as quick as the Rowaphos is lowering the levels more phosphate is leaching from the rock. I change the Rowaphos on a weekly basis so I know it is never fully exhausted.
I would say overall, I am seeing some progress but feel this battle is far from over!
Screenshot from 2018-07-15 20-14-00.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In freshwater, one does not play around with anchored green brush algae, ever. It'll overtake your entire ecosystem in its fifth year after you worked so hard

Brand new awesome spider wood added with plants mixed in also had hitchhiker green brush freshwater variant

Rasped with kitchen knife/unanchored

Then peroxide external sit for three minutes rinse return

Pure control. I'll go ahead and determine what takes over my planted tank or not.

IMG_20180715_171300713.jpg

IMG_20180715_171417673.jpg

IMG_20180715_171835639.jpg

The key to gha control in both freshwater, and any reef substrate that is accessible like you mentioned above, is the mantra that cobra kai uses

strike first strike hard no mercy sir

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update, the algae on rocks that have been removed from the aquarium and treated with Hydrogen Peroxide has not returned. These rocks seem to always have a small layer of mulm on them which I blast off with a turkey baster. The rock that I cannot remove and have been target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide have greatly improved but still contain patchy algae growth. I am now considering removing these rocks but that might mean breaking down some of the rock structure. In summary, removing rock and squirting Hydrogen Peroxide while leaving it out of the water to react for 3-4 minutes seems to kill the algae in the short to medium term. Please also consider I am constantly running Rowaphos in a reactor and replacing it each week. I have left testing my phosphate for a week and got a reading of 0.02 this morning so maybe I am beginning to keep up with absorbing the phosphate at a rate that it is leaching from the rocks but we will see.
Screenshot from 2018-07-22 11-08-48.png

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the Mangrove just over a month ago and although many people say they are slow at nutrient uptake, I have seen a significant drop in my phosphate and Nitrate levels in the last week. The Mangrove took about 2 weeks to settle and I did not see any notable change or growth and then all of a sudden, the root structure started to sprout and my phosphate and nitrate levels started to drop as shown below. I have been dosing 3ml Red Sea NOPOX per day and have now reduced this to 1ml. Will test the water in a couple of days and I may stop dosing. The rock is clearly still leaching phosphate as my rocks still have algae growing but very slowly now. The rocks which were taken out of the aquarium and treated with Hydrogen Peroxide as still clean of algae with just small amounts of mulm on them. I have stopped target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide daily and will now only use it as and when I want to target dose areas with significant growth but have not used it in over a week. I have included below pictures of the Mangrove when first added and its growth to date. As you will see from the pictures below (sorry about the quality), not much difference to the leaf growth but the root structure has changed. I continue to change a small amount of carbon and Rowaphos weekly but I will now obviously keep a very close eye on my phosphate and Nitrate levels as they are now low. The fact that the algae on the rocks is still growing tells me phosphate is still leaching but is now, at long last, being stripped from the water column at the same rate by using all three methods (Mangrove, Rowaphas and NOPOX). I may have to stop using either Rowaphos and/or NOPOX soon but will keep you posted on the progress.
Phosphate.png

Nirate.png

root1.jpg

Root2.jpg

leave1.jpg

Leave2.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt 1 mangrove is making any notable differences in your water quality it takes a bunch of them and even at that the benefits are negligible.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro Reefer , that was my thinking so it maybe just coincidence so will keep testing the water to see how it progresses. My understanding is that Mangroves hardly remove anything or not enough that is notable. I have reduced my NOPOX dosing down from 3ml to 1ml which would normally cause a rise in Nitrates levels but will report back in a week.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A minor update. After approx 6 weeks of removing rock and dosing Hydrogen Peroxide directly to the rock, the algae has begun to return to those rocks. It is nowhere near as bad and seems to be struggling to grow but it is back. This shows me that that as expected, the use of Hydrogen Peroxide is just short term fix. I am managing to keep the phosphate from rising too much but considering the amount of phosphate removal methods I am adopting, phosphate should be zero so I guess it is still leaching from the rocks.
@Retro Reefer was correct, and adding the Mangrove was not why my phosphate and Nitrate dropped as I now have 4 mangroves, I am dosing 2ml NOPOX daily and using Rowaphos and I can still test both phosphate and Nitrate.

On the whole, the algae battle is under control but not yet won! Will report back with shortly.

Screenshot from 2018-08-27 10-15-41.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rasping precedes peroxide use if you want it gone

on a test rock, not the whole tank, that way you’ll know how deep to rasp.

Peroxide is a fine fix, but it was used incompletely here. If you were to model rasping and peroxide in the right order on a single test rock, it would comply. The wait continues ~ the way we arrived at rasping was charting the use of peroxide for seven years in the way you applied it, then we invented rasping and 80% of the outcomes changed. not all, 8 out of ten, but a big increase sustained that’s for sure. With a single test rock your system would reveal if that way helps or not

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, clouding. If we were to reach in and grab any rock in the tank on a cell vid and shake it about/the clouding that comes off is fuel for the deeply anchored algae. It would be neat to see the clouding in action, all that’s needed for the test is to shake any given invaded rock in the tank one night with the pumps off, and a flashlight aiming down on the test rock, the cloud will be evident. If one rock shows the fuel, many will have it where the algae took hold and was kept in place to prevent the rock from expressing its waste.

I do not think you have a nutrient issue at all, your corals are great and they’d register it if you did, and you have no sandbed so the tank is cleaner than many. Having algae means nothing about nutrient issues in most tanks, it’s just allowed to grow by not disallowing it and then it becomes strong at self sustenance (detritus trapped in the fronds and degrading on site is one mechanism, one other = algae present = bacterial substrate as well, and their effect on top of algae is to metabolize more nutrients for the algae to have quick access)

*in our algae cure threads we never subject an entire system + happy corals to a full change of nutrients or medications that may or may not work. We force one single rock to comply in testing, then upscale it to the rest of the tank *only* once we know what actually works. That’s a big change in technique vs current methods, it takes one single test rock to know what actually works. If you want phosphate starving to work, then effect that in a Home Depot bucket not your whole tank doing fine other than algae. You could rasp and test that rock as well, or dose with random meds...don’t test with your whole tank/hate to see that coral health change if we keep pushing away params they clearly like.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back