My experience with the Profilux

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say, I bought the profilux with very high expectations... and I'd have to say I'm disappointed.

1) No useful error message system. Alarm just starts going off without telling me what's going on. At one point my profilux just started going nuts and I spent hours trying to figure out what's going on. I couldn't fix it until I reached out to help desk and they gave me some secret key to reset my serial number...

2) Figuring out how to connect to GCC, myGHL, and the app is challenging, with poor documentation. Yes I know there are videos, I've seen literally every GHL help video... but it doens't cover all the problems I encountered. I think the downfall is just how unintuitive and non user friendly the system is.

3) The key calibration is just horrendous. Maybe it's just my profilux, but I've calibrated the keys at least 20 times and the buttons just press themselves all the time and it drives me nuts.

4) Setting up email is not easy. I've read through threads here and on the ghl forums and followed all instructions to no success. Still working with help desk on this.

5) Documentation and online resources in general are limited. You basically HAVE to talk to customer support if you want any problem solved, unless it's a very common problem. Most of my problems I haven't been able to find online or in their documentation.

One thing I'll say is that the support team is responsive and helpful. I just wish the system was intuitive enough that people can just USE it. I'm pulling my hair out everyday between trying to understand what's going on and things just not working without any error message/reason.

Just be wary that if you go with the profilux you will probably be frustrated with setting it up, and you'll be talking to customer support... a lot.

I'm still hoping once everything is set up, I won't have to touch anything and the controller will be reliable.

EDIT: I should say, everything that I've programmed so far is working correctly. It's just my frustration with the UI, error handling and poor documentation that's making me so frustrated.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpark645 - sorry your having issues on the initial support glad to see support helping you through the issues.

On issue 4 what exactly is your problem? Are you using gmail, hotmail, or your local ISP for mail sending? Done this a few ways went to see if I can help? You can PM also.

Before pulling your hair out, also ask questions here also we have a great community here that do help each other :)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

This is certainly not the expectations we aim for. As @Ditto said, we have a community here ready to assist you through issues and questions you have along the way.

Here are a few tips for the issues you pointed out:

1. Alarm specifics are shown in the GHL Connect app, see bell icon.

2. All these steps are covered in our P4 resource guide, including how to get connected via GCC.

3. If multiple key calibrations did not solve the issue, then it could be an issue caused by electrical noise or interference. These interferences typically come from certain MH ballasts and lighting drivers. Some emit more noise than others. Ones that put out more noise are ones that may affect the P4 touch keys. The solution is to ID the source of the interference.

4. Post some screenshots of what you have so we can help you out.

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I had known about this alternative before I bought an APeX l, they make a pwm module, that = sold to me right of the bat. I really dont understand why neptune doesnt do pwm.... the cpu the darn thing runs on had 6 pwm outputs, seceral I2C and CAn busses. It makes nonsense as the best way to dim Leds is though Pwm current control.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, Ive been trying to connect to my p4 through wifi for over a year now. I worked once for no reason then stopped again

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ncaldwell - I had this happen once to me on a older wifi firmware issue where if I forgot to close the GCC desktop software it would seem to not allow me to reconnect to the unit unless I reset the P4.

Let’s see if we can fix this :) I know how frustrating it can be not being able to connect to the unit.

Is the unit connected to the myghl cloud service?

Can you control your unit through the GCC app?

Are you saying you cannot connect to the P4 web interface on the unit?

I assume you can not connect to if through the GHL desktop software via IP?

What wireless firmware version and P4 firmware version are you on?

Are you static IP of DHCP? Can you provide us a picture of your P4 network page?

Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure we know wha you can and can not do when attempting to connect or program the unit :)

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpark645 - sorry your having issues on the initial support glad to see support helping you through the issues.

On issue 4 what exactly is your problem? Are you using gmail, hotmail, or your local ISP for mail sending? Done this a few ways went to see if I can help? You can PM also.

Before pulling your hair out, also ask questions here also we have a great community here that do help each other :)

I am using gmail for mail sending. I made sure to set up my email settings to accept less secure apps.

Here's a ss of my setup on gcc:

2018-12-09_2333.png

2018-12-09_2341.png

Hi there,

This is certainly not the expectations we aim for. As @Ditto said, we have a community here ready to assist you through issues and questions you have along the way.

Here are a few tips for the issues you pointed out:

1. Alarm specifics are shown in the GHL Connect app, see bell icon.

2. All these steps are covered in our P4 resource guide, including how to get connected via GCC.

3. If multiple key calibrations did not solve the issue, then it could be an issue caused by electrical noise or interference. These interferences typically come from certain MH ballasts and lighting drivers. Some emit more noise than others. Ones that put out more noise are ones that may affect the P4 touch keys. The solution is to ID the source of the interference.

4. Post some screenshots of what you have so we can help you out.

1) They're showing up on the bell icon now, thanks. This didn't show up when my profilux was going nuts before the serial number reset.
2) Right, I was able to do it eventually with the help of the guides. It was just not straight forward.
3) I see. Is there a way I can just totally disable the keys on the profilux? I'd rather control it through the profilux touch anyway.
4) Posted above.

Thanks guys for your responses. It's nice to know there are people willing to help on R2R!

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me try to send mine at a specific time mine is sent always every 2 hours and Dre if mine fails at a specific time.

Can you set your one general message from 9;00 am to also every two hours and see if you get a message.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me try to send mine at a specific time mine is sent always every 2 hours and Dre if mine fails at a specific time.

Can you set your one general message from 9;00 am to also every two hours and see if you get a message.

Sure I'll try that.

2018-12-10_0343.png

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpark645,

Did you tried to send it at another specific time ?

I tried on my side at different timing and I received well the mails at the specified time.

cheers

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say, I bought the profilux with very high expectations... and I'd have to say I'm disappointed.

1) No useful error message system. Alarm just starts going off without telling me what's going on. At one point my profilux just started going nuts and I spent hours trying to figure out what's going on. I couldn't fix it until I reached out to help desk and they gave me some secret key to reset my serial number...

2) Figuring out how to connect to GCC, myGHL, and the app is challenging, with poor documentation. Yes I know there are videos, I've seen literally every GHL help video... but it doens't cover all the problems I encountered. I think the downfall is just how unintuitive and non user friendly the system is.

3) The key calibration is just horrendous. Maybe it's just my profilux, but I've calibrated the keys at least 20 times and the buttons just press themselves all the time and it drives me nuts.

4) Setting up email is not easy. I've read through threads here and on the ghl forums and followed all instructions to no success. Still working with help desk on this.

5) Documentation and online resources in general are limited. You basically HAVE to talk to customer support if you want any problem solved, unless it's a very common problem. Most of my problems I haven't been able to find online or in their documentation.

One thing I'll say is that the support team is responsive and helpful. I just wish the system was intuitive enough that people can just USE it. I'm pulling my hair out everyday between trying to understand what's going on and things just not working without any error message/reason.

Just be wary that if you go with the profilux you will probably be frustrated with setting it up, and you'll be talking to customer support... a lot.

I'm still hoping once everything is set up, I won't have to touch anything and the controller will be reliable.

EDIT: I should say, everything that I've programmed so far is working correctly. It's just my frustration with the UI, error handling and poor documentation that's making me so frustrated.

I agree that setting one up could be slightly easier (or at least the instructions could be). Keep in mind that after you figure out your way around the unit, you will love it.

I have had APEX and the Profilux; the products GHL makes are hands down better built and they use far better components. They is just my opinion, but the quality of their products are extremely impressive.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,

And when you hit test your getting the email?

Are you on the latest WiFi firmware and P4 firmware?

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes!

EDIT: Well, I'll go double check if I'm on latest firmware for wifi when I get home. I know my P4 is on latest firmware. I'm fairly sure I am though.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back