My first Aquarium ever, 29 biocube with 16g sump. Need some help

Fleebees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone this is my first post ever on any forum and just wanted to show the tank I've setup and ask some questions. My tank is 11 weeks so it's still very young and I know you go through a diatoms faze in the beginning but how bad does it actually get before it goes away? It's literally covering all my sand in this thick brown (and some is turning purple which I'm guessing is cyano?) and also all my rocks but it's more hairy on the rocks. I've tested the water multiple times for weeks to see what changes and it actually doesn't change much at all. Ammonia and nitrite are always 0 and nitrate is close to 0, phosphates 0 (API TEST KIT) and my ph swings between 8.0 and 8.4 (reefkeeper ph probe which was calibrated about a month ago) I run carbon through a reactor but no gfo. I have some gfo if I should start running it but I thought you should only run that if you get phosphate issues. Am I wrong on that? I have green star polyps, frogspawn, hammer coral, torch coral and a couple different zoanthids. The fish I have are a pair of clowns, purple firefish and six line wrasse and my CUC is 2 hermits, 3 nasarrius and astrea snails. I feed twice a day with about a 1/3 cube of frozen food and everything seems to get eaten up. Everything looks to be doing fine but I'm worried this brown stuff is going to start growing over my corals. Should I just leave it and let it run it's course without it harming anything or should I do something? I'm getting tired of looking at it, it's been 5 weeks and it's so ugly... If there is anything I missed to say which there probably is just let me know. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
F

Fleebees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anybody have a good recommendation for a trust worthy float switch for a ATO or does that just not exist? I got home today to notice mine failed after only 1 month! Thank god the reefkeeper turned it off when the pH hit 8.45 (kalkwasser in ato)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back