My first reef!!

matt.moo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef aquarium, has been running for 4 weeks, I picked up a pair of wild clowns (only ones that were in stock, as I live in a country where saltwater fish are hard to get) and also was recommended an elegance coral as I don't want an anemone, but would like to keep other lps in the future.

I picked up a Kh test kit, as I didn't know what my Kh was, and assumed it would be the same as the salt I used initially (8dkh) but after testing it turned out my Kh was 5.4dkh.

Elegance still hasn't fully opened but I have slowly raised the Kh to 6.5 over a week and it seems to be slowly opening. And pointers or advice is welcome.

IMG_3422.jpeg IMG_3417.jpeg

OP
OP
M

matt.moo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new hammer today! Have raised my alk to 7.2 since setting it up.

My nitrates are 0 (tested with Hannah checker), should I still be doing routine water changes even though my nitrates are 0. Should I also be using my protein skimmer yet? Or should I wait until the nutrients build up slightly before turning it on.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpeg
    IMG_3437.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
M

matt.moo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large amount of brown algae taking over the surfaces, it seems to be consuming all of the nutrients in the water (my nitrates are constantly testing 0) what kind of algae do you think this is and how should I combat it? (I'm assuming diatoms)

Currently doing weekly 10% waterchanges,

Kh: 7.7
Ca: 405
Mg: 1270
Nitrate: 0

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large amount of brown algae taking over the surfaces, it seems to be consuming all of the nutrients in the water (my nitrates are constantly testing 0) what kind of algae do you think this is and how should I combat it? (I'm assuming diatoms)

Currently doing weekly 10% waterchanges,

Kh: 7.7
Ca: 405
Mg: 1270
Nitrate: 0
Do you have pictures of it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back