My first build... vertical!

What color should the back glass be painted?

• Black

• Dark Blue

• Light Blue

• White

Results are only viewable after voting.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Ive been creeping on the forum for a bit now and finally decided to reach out for advice and feedback on what to focus on next.

Ive spent the better part of 6 months building a really oddball tank. Ive needed something in my family room that adds height to the room, and decided "hey, i know nothing about fishtanks expect for a 5gal saltwater tank growing up, lets build something!"

Please excuse any beginner mistakes I've made... in fact the bad advice prob came from one of these forums!!!

20190112_193339.jpg

Heres the setup:
Tank is 22L×11W×54H (55gal)
--1.25in overflow to a 3gallon "sump" purely for my heaters and for evaporation water.
--pipe pulls water from the "sump" (i really need a better name for that! Its def not a sump) and into a 5gallon bucket with lava rock at the bottom, .75in of filter floss above that, and 1.75in of sponge at the very top.
--water leaves bottom of the tank and flows to a check valve, followed by my return pump.
-- the return pump may be a mistake. I didnt realize yhere would be such a GPH loss from all that head pressure! Current pump provides 660gph and rated for 8.4ft head. Planning to pick up a bigger pump rated at 1098gph offering 13ft of head. Is this worthwhile?
--- leaving the pump i drop down to 3/4in pvc (worried about the new pumps flow) until i hit 3 ball valves. 1 valve flows up to the main talk as my return, one isnt being use yet but may lead to reactors etc down the road, and finally the last flows to my functioning sandfall (cheesy, i know, but i wanted to try).
What does everyone think about these pipe sizes? I understand technically they can handle the water flow, but am i drastically increasing head pressure? Or is the vertical tank my biggest factor here?

Lighting:
Just boring RGB led bulb connected via Zwave to my smarthome controls. Most of the day it runs at 6000k.
Once i hit the stage for coral i plan to pick up a kessil 360 and will most likely only put coral on the top two shelves. (unless there is a recommendation of something that penetrates deeper)

Whats in the tank:
Currently 2 very small damsels and a Moon Wrasse. This wasnt my preferred pick, but the local 4 stores withing a 1.5hr radius do not carry very many saltwater options

Here are my questions:
---For starters, what are the thoughts on my filtration for the time being? I have only had fish in the tank for 2.5 weeks and barely even have the slightest readings of Ammonia. cycling SUCKS!!!!!
Later i plan to add a skimmer and a reactor or two once needed.. but dont believe i am close to that yet?
--- plumbing, do i need to increase my pipe diameter for that new Jabeo 4000 pump?

Well thats the start to the zillion questions! Please dont hesitate to correct me, I'm new, but desperate to learn!

Andrew

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Ive been creeping on the forum for a bit now and finally decided to reach out for advice and feedback on what to focus on next.

Ive spent the better part of 6 months building a really oddball tank. Ive needed something in my family room that adds height to the room, and decided "hey, i know nothing about fishtanks expect for a 5gal saltwater tank growing up, lets build something!"

Please excuse any beginner mistakes I've made... in fact the bad advice prob came from one of these forums!!!

20190112_193339.jpg

Heres the setup:
--1.25in overflow to a 3gallon "sump" purely for my heaters and for evaporation water.
--pipe pulls water from the "sump" (i really need a better name for that! Its def not a sump) and into a 5gallon bucket with lava rock at the bottom, .75in of filter floss above that, and 1.75in of sponge at the very top.
--water leaves bottom of the tank and flows to a check valve, followed by my return pump.
-- the return pump may be a mistake. I didnt realize yhere would be such a GPH loss from all that head pressure! Current pump provides 660gph and rated for 8.4ft head. Planning to pick up a bigger pump rated at 1098gph offering 13ft of head. Is this worthwhile?
--- leaving the pump i drop down to 3/4in pvc (worried about the new pumps flow) until i hit 3 ball valves. 1 valve flows up to the main talk as my return, one isnt being use yet but may lead to reactors etc down the road, and finally the last flows to my functioning sandfall (cheesy, i know, but i wanted to try).
What does everyone think about these pipe sizes? I understand technically they can handle the water flow, but am i drastically increasing head pressure? Or is the vertical tank my biggest factor here?

Lighting:
Just boring RGB led bulb connected via Zwave to my smarthome controls. Most of the day it runs at 6000k.
Once i hit the stage for coral i plan to pick up a kessil 360 and will most likely only put coral on the top two shelves. (unless there is a recommendation of something that penetrates deeper)

Whats in the tank:
Currently 2 very small damsels and a Moon Wrasse. This wasnt my preferred pick, but the local 4 stores withing a 1.5hr radius do not carry very many saltwater options

Here are my questions:
---For starters, what are the thoughts on my filtration for the time being? I have only had fish in the tank for 2.5 weeks and barely even have the slightest readings of Ammonia. cycling SUCKS!!!!!
Later i plan to add a skimmer and a reactor or two once needed.. but dont believe i am close to that yet?
--- plumbing, do i need to increase my pipe diameter for that new Jabeo 4000 pump?

Well thats the start to the zillion questions! Please dont hesitate to correct me, I'm new, but desperate to learn!

Andrew

That thing is crazy cool! :D

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of the insert being built. I used pcv, lighting diffusor, zip ties, and smoothcast 322. Obviously the corals are store bought. Just here until i can replace with live!

Yes i know i trashed my home!!!

20180727_225241.jpg 20180727_225505.jpg
20180729_231527.jpg
20180817_000725.jpg 20181202_212921.jpg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! That is such a cool looking "tall" tank. I like it a lot :) My first thought is you could do some really interesting corals in your tank due to the depth and distance from the lighting.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! That is such a cool looking "tall" tank. I like it a lot :) My first thought is you could do some really interesting corals in your tank due to the depth and distance from the lighting.

Really?? I was afraid the depth was going to limit me, not open new doors! Can you explain a bit more?
My current fears are that 1) not much light will make below 24inches, and 2) this thing is a NIGHTMARE to get a reacher arm to the bottom because the ledges nearly touch the glass in places. I wont be able to hand feed the lower corals at all.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of corals collected at depths most aquariums can't come close to simulating. Leptoseris for example will grow at the shallow depths of an aquarium, but are collected in deep waters. Would be so cool to see how they would grow and the colors they would achieve in your tank. They feed by using their mucous membrane. So it's easy to feed them by turning off the pumps and in your tank just letting the food settle to the bottom reaches of the tank. I bet if you grew some of them in a QT on a piece of rock, you could use one of those long grabber tools "hemostat" like they use in hospitals and easily set the corals in place, move them as needed. So look for corals that sellers recommend to be placed on the "bottom" of the tank that fit your unique vision of a tank. :)

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of corals collected at depths most aquariums can't come close to simulating. Leptoseris for example will grow at the shallow depths of an aquarium, but are collected in deep waters. Would be so cool to see how they would grow and the colors they would achieve in your tank. They feed by using their mucous membrane. So it's easy to feed them by turning off the pumps and in your tank just letting the food settle to the bottom reaches of the tank. I bet if you grew some of them in a QT on a piece of rock, you could use one of those long grabber tools "hemostat" like they use in hospitals and easily set the corals in place, move them as needed. So look for corals that sellers recommend to be placed on the "bottom" of the tank that fit your unique vision of a tank. :)

Great tips. Thank you!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the setup:

Lighting:

Here are my questions:

For the pipe sizes, 3/4 inch is fine for the return. It depends on the pump outlet. For returns, generally you want the smallest pipe size the nozzle of the return pump fits into.

I also have the Jabeo 4000 and i will use either 1/2" or 3/4" return. Haven't gotten to plumbing it yet so not sure what size the small nozzle is. It is my understanding that upgrading to a larger return pipe size would decrease your pumps ability to push thru the vertical challenge.

For cycling, there are some great threads here in the new to reefing part of the forum. You do not want to use fish to cycle a tank, as ammonia kills fish. If you have any ammonia reading if your tank at all, you should add some bacteria (such as dr tims) and also do a water change.

For lighting, the kessil will do well with growing regular, photosynthetic corals in the first 24~" and up. Corals deeper than that I imagine will present a unique challenge.

For flow in the tank, all you have is the return pump correct? You will want some powerheads in there, placement for them will be tricky due to the dimensions.

Could you expand on your sump that's not a sump and 5g bucket? at 8-10 gallons max capacity, I am concerned when the return pumps turns off, that water from the DT draining down may flood the sump/bucket combo. Have you tested this yet? Post some pictures please, post a picture of your overflow as well. I am a little lost as to how the water drains down and is returned to the tank. You can see in the picture that the surface is almost completely still (unless the pump is off in the pic). You want agitation.

You can add a skimmer at any point in time, they have several benefits. Have you looked at any potential skimmers to buy yet? I am personally a reef octopus fanboy. But I hear the SCA (cheaper) works well also. What sort of reactors did you have in mind?

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the pipe sizes, 3/4 inch is fine for the return. It depends on the pump outlet. For returns, generally you want the smallest pipe size the nozzle of the return pump fits into.

I also have the Jabeo 4000 and i will use either 1/2" or 3/4" return. Haven't gotten to plumbing it yet so not sure what size the small nozzle is. It is my understanding that upgrading to a larger return pipe size would decrease your pumps ability to push thru the vertical challenge.

For cycling, there are some great threads here in the new to reefing part of the forum. You do not want to use fish to cycle a tank, as ammonia kills fish. If you have any ammonia reading if your tank at all, you should add some bacteria (such as dr tims) and also do a water change.

For lighting, the kessil will do well with growing regular, photosynthetic corals in the first 24~" and up. Corals deeper than that I imagine will present a unique challenge.

For flow in the tank, all you have is the return pump correct? You will want some powerheads in there, placement for them will be tricky due to the dimensions.

Could you expand on your sump that's not a sump and 5g bucket? at 8-10 gallons max capacity, I am concerned when the return pumps turns off, that water from the DT draining down may flood the sump/bucket combo. Have you tested this yet? Post some pictures please, post a picture of your overflow as well. I am a little lost as to how the water drains down and is returned to the tank. You can see in the picture that the surface is almost completely still (unless the pump is off in the pic). You want agitation.

You can add a skimmer at any point in time, they have several benefits. Have you looked at any potential skimmers to buy yet? I am personally a reef octopus fanboy. But I hear the SCA (cheaper) works well also. What sort of reactors did you have in mind?

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am glad to hear others are using the Jabeos. Have you used others in the past?

This is the chart i use. I aim for 1k gph available, and 1/2in seems like its going to add a ton of resistance. Am i incorrect with these assumptions?

Screenshot_20190118-081520_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for when the pump turns off, thats the beauty of a tall with very little surface area! Only 1gallon or less flows down the overflow after shutdown! :)

As for the filtration setup. The adjustmets and changes ive made are almost daily right now so my pictures are limited... below is the best i have for now. Can you piece together the flow there?

1) overflow into plastic bin
2) suction from pipe on left out to homemade 5gal canister
3) out of canister and into jabeo
4) jabeo to valves, then out to tank

20181227_120813.jpg

20181212_133736.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup. Some tall Gorgonians would look good towards the bottom. Sun Corals would be pretty cool also.
You may be limited to fish and Invert selection with the Moon wrasse

The moon wrasse was a silly impulse due to a crazy lack of options, and he may need to go, but i kinda love him! Hes missing an eye so the damsels have a slight edge at dodging his attacks, but obviously corals cant avoid him!!

I believe im more of a fan of aggressive fish (big personalities and i think they seem to have more flexibility to changes in the tank environment. Correct me if im wrong!) If you were to pick two fish to add, what would they be? I LOVE the bursa trigger (or any trigger) but realize it will eliminate my ability to own crustaceans or stony corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back