My first emerald crab!

br3ttwalker

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everyone like these guys? He's very entertaining to say the least?

image.jpg
 
Ours are very effective at keeping bubble algae at bay.

Very entertaining, but they are kind of jerks - they act just like the crabs in Nemo, picking at things, fighting over food, etc.
 
I have always kept at least one in my reef tanks....never had any issues with them. Actually, I rarely see them.
 
The one I had paid no attention whatsoever to the bubble algae in the tank, but it did seem to have a taste for some of my zoanthids though.
Once I got rid of it things began to look normal again.
 
I like em! Every time they molt I swear it was a death. They leave behind a lot of stuff in the shell. Have 2 now. Got them both at about the same size. when one molted he nearly tripled in size. I don't see the smaller one very often. The big one gets hand fed small pieces of the algae sheet and loves it. We call the big one "Baby". Funny cause he's the big one. But mostly because of the way he waves his claws around when he's out and we're near the tank. Kinda like he's trying to grab a bottle - knows it's feeding time. I have assorted Zoa's, SPS and LPS and have never had a nipping issue with the corals.
 
I have two, always kept them in my reef tanks. I have never had problems with them eating any of my coral.
 
I Love those guys!
The one in this picture is gorgeous, mine are not so shiny and green...

Funny the "baby after the bottle" description, that is exactly how my old Popeye ran around the tank. I named him that because his arms got really big, but never had problems with my corals.

Never hurts to keep an eye on them just in case, I heard stories too
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new