My first fish added! How much should I feed them?

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first two fish for my biocube 29. I purchased some LRS Reef Frenzy Nano. How much should I be breaking off to feed them?

Do I need to turn my return pump off before I throw the food in there?

IMG_8038.JPG

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first two fish for my biocube 29. I purchased some LRS Reef Frenzy Nano. How much should I be breaking off to feed them?

Do I need to turn my return pump off before I throw the food in there?

IMG_8038.JPG
Looks good homie. I like the clowns in there.. I will probably get mine in a pair also. I like the thought of them not being solo in the tank..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed however much they can eat in about 15-30 seconds. It's much easier to add more food if they eat it all too quickly rather than take excess food out if you feed too much.

Leave the pumps on. When the food gets kicked around by the flow, it elicits a better feeding response.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now I am feeding once a day with Reef Frenzy. Should I be feeding more then once per day? Should I do pellets in the morning and reef frenzy at night? Or stick to reef frenzy?

What pellets would you recommend?

Any other foods I should be considering?

cloudisback1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started this hobby, I started with just 2 clown fish. I would stick my hand in the tank and drop 2 pellets at a time in front of them. Then gave them 2 more when they ate it. They only need a little bit. After ur system starts to age and have a lot of good bacteria in your tank. You will be able to feed more. New life spectrum 1mm pellets is what i started with. I now broadcast feed dry mysis shrimp most of the time.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rotate what I feed. I use hikari marine pellets (greens) to supplement my clown. The pellets come in different sizes. I use small.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that feeding better quality frozen foods will give the fish more nutrients so they can live healthier? Or does it need to be live foods to get those benefits?

cloudisback1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that feeding better quality frozen foods will give the fish more nutrients so they can live healthier? Or does it need to be live foods to get those benefits?

Yes Feeding a variety of foods does have benefits to your fish. It doesn't have to be live food but ur fish may enjoy live food more.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rotate between Flake, Nori and LRS.
LRS is a great rich food but a little goes a long way for fish and corals. :)

The days that I feed my fish the LRS, I do not feel the need to feed my corals with anything like Red Sea "Reef Energy".

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I have a hard time figuring out how much LRS to actually feed. Ive been getting dime size chunks off so far and it seems like the right amount but I cant tell. Its prob getting trapped somewhere. It seems like the eat it....

Ive been feeding the LRS once daily currently. I am looking into getting the NLS Marine pellets though.

Now to decide if I want to do try 2 feedings or leave it at one a day haha.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back