My first ICP test - what needs to be fixed?

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling dinos for about a month now. Following approach by Jason Mack I stopped water changes, dosed silica to promote growth of diatoms. Also I am running carbon at the moment. As of now dinos are pretty much gone but I noticed that my corals are not doing too well... I have only few - torch, interstellar mushroom and hammer.
My hammer shrank to pretty much its skeleton and not opening anymore, torch (being much bigger in the beginning) now is 1/3 of its size..... Only mushroom is the same size but lost some its color and kinda pale....

So I did ICP test and just received results but not sure what to look for here - can anybody think of anything that might be causing this?

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.41.57 PM.png

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that jumps out is chlorine, wow. Are you using tap water? Should be using RoDi or distilled water (without any added back minerals). Water should be as pure as possible to mix salt as you don't want to add in any impurities & tap water can be nasty for the flora & fauna. Ideally chlorine should be as close to zero as possible. It's a disinfectant and kills stuff, by design.

A few things are a little low like calcium & magnesium, not sure how to convert sodium to SG or ppt. Phosphorus converts to 2.74 ppm phosphates? (ppb phosphorous X 3.066 / 1000 = ppm phosphate) If that right then that is pretty high.

Besides that I'm not sure what the rest should be, sorry. Iodine is out of range but not sure if it's low or high. You want some iodine but too much will definitely tic off corals. (don't ask how I know lol)

Hopefully at least a bump so someone with better skills will chime in for you.

OP
OP
P

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that jumps out is chlorine, wow. Are you using tap water? Should be using RoDi or distilled water (without any added back minerals). Water should be as pure as possible to mix salt as you don't want to add in any impurities & tap water can be nasty for the flora & fauna. Ideally chlorine should be as close to zero as possible. It's a disinfectant and kills stuff, by design.

A few things are a little low like calcium & magnesium, not sure how to convert sodium to SG or ppt. Phosphorus converts to 2.74 ppm phosphates? (ppb phosphorous X 3.066 / 1000 = ppm phosphate) If that right then that is pretty high.

Besides that I'm not sure what the rest should be, sorry. Iodine is out of range but not sure if it's low or high. You want some iodine but too much will definitely tic off corals. (don't ask how I know lol)

I am using RODI water and ICP test shows 0 chlorine in RODI water... Where can chlorine come from in the aquarium if in RODI water it is zero....?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chlorine your are referring to should be Chloride I think. On my ICP test I have a Chloride result which is similar to Chlorine at 17920 mg/l. If it is then it is fine. Normal value is 18024 per ATI lab.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron and sodium are low. what are your po4 and no4 levels at? My sodium is at 10070ppm.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no zinc, it is labeled as major nutrient. I don't know if it is wise to dose trace elements or not. I tried with no results.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With my calculator I get 0.89604 ppm phosphates which is high. Rapidtables.com

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling dinos for about a month now. Following approach by Jason Mack I stopped water changes, dosed silica to promote growth of diatoms. Also I am running carbon at the moment. As of now dinos are pretty much gone but I noticed that my corals are not doing too well... I have only few - torch, interstellar mushroom and hammer.
My hammer shrank to pretty much its skeleton and not opening anymore, torch (being much bigger in the beginning) now is 1/3 of its size..... Only mushroom is the same size but lost some its color and kinda pale....

So I did ICP test and just received results but not sure what to look for here - can anybody think of anything that might be causing this?

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.41.57 PM.png
More water changes! We need more tank info if you want better help from more knowledgeable reefers.

OP
OP
P

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was saying we stopped water changes for a while to fight dinos. Today was first water change in 5 weeks.
Part fo the strategy was to get tank 'dirty' and promote growth of diatoms by dosing silicates....

As of now my Nitrates are close to 15 and P04 was 0.15 (with Hanna Meter)
Alkalinity is 8 and Calcium was around 400 as per my measurements (matching ICP)
Salinity is 1.024

Tank is 50 G in display + 10 G in the sump.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Dino’s still present a little water change will spike their growth but it may be needed for the health of other corals I would still do one, you can dose nitrate

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was saying we stopped water changes for a while to fight dinos. Today was first water change in 5 weeks.
Part fo the strategy was to get tank 'dirty' and promote growth of diatoms by dosing silicates....

As of now my Nitrates are close to 15 and P04 was 0.15 (with Hanna Meter)
Alkalinity is 8 and Calcium was around 400 as per my measurements (matching ICP)
Salinity is 1.024

Tank is 50 G in display + 10 G in the sump.
According to your ICP reading of 896.04ppb for po4 is 0.896ppm phos, something wrong with your reading on the Hanna meter.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Dino’s still present a little water change will spike their growth but it may be needed for the health of other corals I would still do one, you can dose nitrate
That is what I do, I will also dose for po4. I am constantly blowing off dinos still. But it is slowly going away.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
896ppb phosphorus is off the Hanna chart by 4X.
It would convert to 2.74ppm phosphate, which is very high, way out of the normal band.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
896ppb phosphorus is off the Hanna chart by 4X.
It would convert to 2.74ppm phosphate, which is very high, way out of the normal band.
Hi Uncle99. i am using the RapidTables.com conversion and 896ppb converts to 0.896ppm, why is this conversion different than the math you use?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry takitaj, you are correct on your math, I don't know why the math equation is different than the conversion table. Makes it confusing.

OP
OP
P

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having lots of diatoms now and few dinos so decided I can not keep going without water change anymore...
Other than PO4 (which I hope will be helped by water change) - anything else is off?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uncle99. i am using the RapidTables.com conversion and 896ppb converts to 0.896ppm, why is this conversion different than the math you use?
I am converting PPB phosphorus to PPM phosphate.
896x3.066/1000=2.74 ish….

So for Phosphorus I run 15-30ppb which is around 0.05-.1ppm phosphate.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few others that several water changes should take care of. I would do 5 gallons every 2 or 3 days for a week then go back to 10% weekly. Just keep blowing the dinos off your corals every day so they can breath.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back