My first ICP test - what needs to be fixed?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am converting PPB phosphorus to PPM phosphate.
896x3.066/1000=2.74 ish….

So for Phosphorus I run 15-30ppb which is around 0.05-.1ppm phosphate.
But the conversion table I use has a different result than the math formula. I also have the hanna conversion table and only goes to 200ppb.

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading everything…
It looks to me like the ICP test is saying that the phosphates are too high. Too many phosphates would suggest that it is more likely cyano than dinos? I’m more asking on that point.
But if the ICP test is saying that you’re phosphates are that high, and your Hanna checker says you’re so low, that makes me nervous about relying on my Hanna checker.
Water changes can help lower your levels of it in the short term, but not if you’re doing something that’s creating excess phosphates you have to change it to fix it right?

So what makes phosphates in the water.

I know that Feeding dry foods - reef roids, flake food, pellets, marine snow, any suspension feeeding raises it, while frozen foods raise nitrates more.
I’m not sure what the other direct sources would be.

Something that can really help it would be to get a mangrove and put it in your sump, or run GFO through a canister filter, if you are, I’d change media.

that’s all I can think of right now, but it’s at least some things to consider.

mom kind of bummed that’s what an ICP test looks like - I feel like that is so much less helpful than it could be for us Reefers, or at least us Reefers without chemistry degrees…

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the conversion table I use has a different result than the math formula. I also have the hanna conversion table and only goes to 200ppb.
If your measuring Phosphorus with a Hanna UL Checker, you must use the conversion table. Remember your not converting Phosphorus to Phosphorus but Phosphorus to Phosphate, so the calc is 896x3.066/1000.
Maybe I am wrong but I read in your ICP 896ppb phosphorus.
No need for Hanna to read beyond 200ppb, it’s not a level we typically use.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uncle99. i am using the RapidTables.com conversion and 896ppb converts to 0.896ppm, why is this conversion different than the math you use?
1000 ppb is 1ppm, that is true.

But you are not trying to convert ppb to ppm here, even if that is how people call it sometimes.

What you actually need to do is convert amount of phosphorus to amount of phosphate, which you do by multiplying with 3.066

So if you have 896 ppb of phosphorus, then you have an estimated 2747ppb of phosphate, or 2.7ppm

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your measuring Phosphorus with a Hanna UL Checker, you must use the conversion table. Remember your not converting Phosphorus to Phosphorus but Phosphorus to Phosphate, so the calc is 896x3.066/1000.
Maybe I am wrong but I read in your ICP 896ppb phosphorus.
No need for Hanna to read beyond 200ppb, it’s not a level we typically use.
My phosphorus is well maintained at 20-30ppb and still trying to get it a little higher. I do have the Hanna Conv Table. I have to dose po4 or it will drop to zero, I also use mostly quality flake food mix. I understand now why my method of conversion was misleading. With levels under 200 I do use the Hanna Chart.

edit; and thanks for your feedback

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000 ppb is 1ppm, that is true.

But you are not trying to convert ppb to ppm here, even if that is how people call it sometimes.

What you actually need to do is convert amount of phosphorus to amount of phosphate, which you do by multiplying with 3.066

So if you have 896 ppb of phosphorus, then you have an estimated 2747ppb of phosphate, or 2.7ppm
Thanks. I understand now, converting 2 different components of po4 is the reason for this math formula. I have been re-educated by you, uncle99 and Zhubbell. You guys are great. Sorry Papareefer for hijacking your thread. Hope you get your reef healthy again.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back