My first RedSea Max e260!

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! welcome to the craziness & beauty to come!

Hope you all are having a great day, thanks in advance for looking at my thread and please enjoy! ask any questions you would like to know. After a long 4 years out of the hobby and always wanting a RedSea tank I finally got one! Amazingly how this journey started again was actually from my girlfriend! insane right?! it started out from always looking at coral and talking to her about it and then my friend Diana got a tank for her niece!! I was super stoked, gave me someone to help out and talk salty to ! my girlfriend then stated to me.. This valentines day she wanted to get me a tank, you think... nahhh, this cant be true! long story short a tank ended up in the cart of MarineDepots list of things to buy! WOW, just WOW. Im so grateful and super stoked about getting back into the hobby. the tank is on its way and will be here sometime this week. I haven't gotten an email from them but they stated it should be Wednesday-Thursday. I'm hopping so cause ill be taking off to make sure this bad boy is drop shipped to my curb and I'm able to grab and sign for it.

Now, as for equipment it is a All in one tank, with 2 Hydra 26HD lights! I'm not gonna add a sump as of yet. this will be my first AIO RedSea Max tank , for flow I will be using a single MP40WQD, Rock.. this is the first time not ordering Marco rock, or BRS Marco Rock… I ordered everything from marine depot, I purchased AquaMaxx ReefSaver rock. I ordered 100lbs but definitely didn't need all of it, took me an overall 10hours total to come up with something I think is going to suit my needs for the near future, to hold all rock in place I used AquaMaxx Reef Welder Epoxy Glue - Purple - 1000mL let me tell you something! this is the best product ive used hands down. no mess, so clean and great looking! glad I did my homework and spent a few hours watching videos and reading reviews . in the end which will end up being a SPS/ZOA dominated tank. heater im using a EHIME JAGER 300W heater, test kits will be Salifert for CAL-ALK-MAG for the phosphates I will be using a Hanna Egg checker. for the regular standard tests I will be using API, the SG/ salinity will be a digital refractometer for now till I hozey up and get the 120$ one as I used to have.

pictures to come ! Any questions feel free to ask. also any opinions on what you would've done different are welcome too! IDEAS MATTER!

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, sounds like a great start!
thanks brotha! tank will be here this Friday just got an update finally! super stoked to be back in the hobby. stay tuned cause this is gonna be madness! any questions or things I should've added please feel free to state them, much love brotha

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see an ATO (auto top off) on the list, but perhaps there is one built into that tank setup?
as for an ATO, I think there is one built in. I have to see. I was looking at the specs and it said something about an ATO but I was uncertain since this is my first time working with RedSea. always wanted one, finally got it! should've went bigger though I wanted a nice footprint but for now im working with this to get started back up again and to retain all the knowledge I had ! been so long.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Don’t use api kits they are proven inaccurate. Excited to see some pics!

Hey Hemmdog! Im only using them for the beginning stages for the nitrites, ammonia , nitrates. just for the beginning stages until im done. as for the other kits I only use Salifert, Hanna & once in a while to insure myself a RedSea Cal & Mag test kit.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are just a few pictures of the rockscape that i did. ENJOY! So many different. Changes that were done, for holing the rock together i used AQUAMAXX REEF WELDERS from MARINEDEPOT i bought the 1000ml trust me boissssss, this stuff is amazing and you can REUSE IT! so if you mess up you reheart it and do something different. Best invention that came out for bonding rocks together!!
IMG_20190118_063546_744.jpeg
IMG_20190118_063652_676.jpeg
IMG_20190118_070733_409.jpeg
IMG_20190118_090032_934.jpeg
IMG_20190118_090048_234.jpeg
IMG_20190118_090056_373.jpeg
IMG_20190118_090109_905.jpeg

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a fun build to watch!! I'm ready to see that scape sitting in the glass!
Thanks allot, took me forever to come up with the layout but im thinking i might tweak it one more time to add an arch, but ill do that this friday when the tank comes cause i wanna make sure it'll look good in the tank before i bond it together. Appreciate the awesome feedback!

If you think i should add something lmk im always open to suggestions! OPINIONS MATTER! since im so indecisive lol

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the E260 before upgrading to the Max S650 (be warned ! Lol) so if you need to know anything just ask

Unless you upgraded to include the sump option it doesn’t come with an inbuilt ATO system and there’s nowhere to put anything at the back of the tank, it’s very compact.

I just had a large bucket in the cabinet with an ATO system. I can recommend the Tunze Osmolator if you need a something

When you set it up, the skimmer may go crazy so if it does just tighten down the screw valve on the end of the skimmer air intake and that will calm it down. It might take a week or so before you can fully open it back up as the skimmer beds in.

Exciting times for you, and the aquascape looks great!

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the E260 before upgrading to the Max S650 (be warned ! Lol) so if you need to know anything just ask

Unless you upgraded to include the sump option it doesn’t come with an inbuilt ATO system and there’s nowhere to put anything at the back of the tank, it’s very compact.

I just had a large bucket in the cabinet with an ATO system. I can recommend the Tunze Osmolator if you need a something

When you set it up, the skimmer may go crazy so if it does just tighten down the screw valve on the end of the skimmer air intake and that will calm it down. It might take a week or so before you can fully open it back up as the skimmer beds in.

Exciting times for you, and the aquascape looks great!

thanks for the great info! question?! the dims in the tank are 18" if im correct due to the filtration chamber connected is about 4"+ correct? I was half tired when I pulled the trigger on this. I wasn't thinking about the footprint... go figure, but its something I have never used before and always wanted a redsea tank.. so I went with it, I love big footprints cause it give me room to build a crazy aquascape since my coral crazy self is always looking for the next best thing to buy! #AllMyMoneyGoesToCoral ! but besides that thank you for letting me know about the skimmer part! I tried to research this tank but seems as if I can barely find any info on it! which sucks.. but im gonna need to know what to set my lights to.. im probably gonna end up a SPS/ZOA dom tank.. but mainly zoas and a few LPS at first to get the tank started out. I got 2 20lb bags of carib-sea live figi pink since I always used to use that. think that would be enough ! I don't like insanely deep sandbeds.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the great info! question?! the dims in the tank are 18" if im correct due to the filtration chamber connected is about 4"+ correct? I was half tired when I pulled the trigger on this. I wasn't thinking about the footprint... go figure, but its something I have never used before and always wanted a redsea tank.. so I went with it, I love big footprints cause it give me room to build a crazy aquascape since my coral crazy self is always looking for the next best thing to buy! #AllMyMoneyGoesToCoral ! but besides that thank you for letting me know about the skimmer part! I tried to research this tank but seems as if I can barely find any info on it! which sucks.. but im gonna need to know what to set my lights to.. im probably gonna end up a SPS/ZOA dom tank.. but mainly zoas and a few LPS at first to get the tank started out. I got 2 20lb bags of carib-sea live figi pink since I always used to use that. think that would be enough ! I don't like insanely deep sandbeds.

Your welcome!

The sand is probably about right, I used about 25kg in the 650 and 20lb is about 9kg. It’s whatever your personal preference is. EDIT you’ve got 2 bags so that’s probably very deep sand bed! Lol

I guess the rear chamber is about 4 inches on the back, and the tank itself is a nice size to manage, with plenty of room for nice rock work designs etc

On the lights, the following is the Red Sea reef spec settings for the Hydra lights and I’ve always used these since I started. Mainly because I have zero interest in lights provided the settings make the tank ‘look pretty’! Lol. And I guess Red Sea scientists know more than me!

Also if you have problems connecting via a router, connect direct to the lights. Just find them as a ‘network item’ and connect direct. The router option has lots of potential drop outs especially when you want to use it! Try router first but if you have issues try this.

A610D5AD-194B-4398-8194-C3C4B44B211B.png

I have a slight modification but only in that I go ‘blue’ from around 7pm because I prefer that in the evenings as it slowly ramps down as follows

0152384F-D490-4D96-A4DF-FC2871AF3E7C.jpeg

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome can’t wait for pics of everything put together. I have a Redsea E-260 and unless you get the sump there is no ATO that comes with it. Feel free ask any questions I really like my Redsea tank been up since May2018. Dustin

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is gonna be a blotchy update, but ive been super busy with work. Ive been just toping off the tank and loosing my mind trying to not touch it or clean the glass! No lights only for about 10 hours total when i wanted to see what was up and took tons of pictures lol and for friends that came over yada yada...

Now to the big point. It is currently the begining of day 14 as of right now. Yester day i tested and saw a slight trace of nitrate.

The nitrites have been through the roof at 5ppm or more idk API only tests to 5ppm.. this has been going on for about 6 days total they sky rocketed.

The ammonia has been stable between 2ppm ish they have been dropping drastically the past few days it is now at ( .25 - .50ppm ) currently just tested before writing this.

Ph has been bouncing around at ( 7.8 - 8ppm ) which it will go back up once i do a water change assuming.

NOW MOST OF ALL! THIS BIG DROP THAT HAS HAPPENED in ammonia.

i just tested the water And i have about 20ppm of nitrate!!!! Tested 2x to make sure. IM ASSUMING i caught the mid finishing of the cycle or beginning of it! Here are some pictures i just took, any thoughts?!

IMG_20190208_014656_522.jpeg
IMG_20190208_014654_140.jpeg
IMG_20190208_014652_228.jpeg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back