My First Reef Aquascape - feedback welcome

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I'm preparing to setup my first reef tank (Cade Peninsula 1800, 180cm long x 80cm wide x 60cm tall, approx 1000L/265g). Have been building this aquascape for a little while, trying to take my time as I don't have a tank yet so no pressure to get it done.

Looking for any thoughts or feedback.

Will be adding some small rock islands that just sit on the sand bed once I'm happy with the main scape. Have left 15cm of open space between the main scape and the two long sides of the tank (this space was left for SPS growth out from the main scape) and 20cm on the short viewing side, this space was left for some things like clams/rock islands with some LPS or the like that sit on the sand bed.

The high side of the scape will be the wall side of the peninsula. Cardboard on the table is the size of the tank, cardboard behind shows approximate water height.

Left side is wall side here:
Left1.jpg
Left2.jpg

Right side is wall side here:
Right1.jpg

Right2.jpg

End view here:
End1.jpg
End2.jpg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really well done! Looks great for mounting coal and providing hiding spots for fish. One thing to consider is using some live rock instead of all Marko Rock. I went with all Marko Rock but ended up getting some live rock a few months in to help with the ugly stage. I wish I had started with a few pieces of live rock from the beginning.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your LFS happens to get some Harvested Corals, rather than Aqua-cultured, put one of those in your tank. For me it was a Zoa colony the size of my hand (xl glove). Or a seed rock as some like to call them. You're after that pink and purple algae.

Another thing I suggest you consider is a clean up crew. reefcleaners.org has packages for a bunch of different tank sizes, give you a good idea of what to stock and how much. I went with half suggested at 3month and then the other half about 6 months of tank age. If you get some snails from your LFS try and pick out the ones with pink and purple coloring on their shells.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that looks pretty good!
I guess the left side of going to be a bit of a squeeze here?
1712483035394.png

My only creative suggestion would be - I always really liked lonely islands. You could cut some of your slop up and leave an island out there surrounded by sand and dominated by a specific coral type or 2:
1712483184281.png

OP
OP
Scott714

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that looks pretty good!
I guess the left side of going to be a bit of a squeeze here?
1712483035394.png

Yeah I’m not entirely sure how big the overflow box is on the tank, those lines represent my guesstimate. Can shuffle the whole thing down towards the other end if necessary. I don’t really plan on cleaning the “back wall” of the tank. But you’re 100% right it won’t have good access.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be tempted to push the head of the rock right up against the overflow and attempt to essentially make it part of the rock itself. You could eventually have some GSP or other coral grow between it and the rock. You could leave a sort of arch under it:
1712488964564.png

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO having several separate pieces makes it easier. Placing them is lighter. Taking them out is easier. You just might have a nasty worm, or out of control coral.
Looks great though

OP
OP
Scott714

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be tempted to push the head of the rock right up against the overflow and attempt to essentially make it part of the rock itself. You could eventually have some GSP or other coral grow between it and the rock. You could leave a sort of arch under it:
1712488964564.png
Thanks I like that idea, I’ve liked the look of a few gsp walls I’ve seen.

OP
OP
Scott714

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO having several separate pieces makes it easier. Placing them is lighter. Taking them out is easier. You just might have a nasty worm, or out of control coral.
Looks great though
The whole structure is about 5-6 different sections, still going to be scared putting them in the tank. I’ve moved them a few times and everything has held well, will probably move it a few more times before it ends up in the tank.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole structure is about 5-6 different sections, still going to be scared putting them in the tank. I’ve moved them a few times and everything has held well, will probably move it a few more times before it ends up in the tank.
Put the rocks in before the sand. Use a step ladder. Level your tank first. Good luck

OP
OP
Scott714

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the rocks in before the sand. Use a step ladder. Level your tank first. Good luck
Do people generally put the rocks on top of egg crate or similar at the points of contact with the glass? Avoid scratches/damage to glass?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people generally put the rocks on top of egg crate or similar at the points of contact with the glass? Avoid scratches/damage to glass?
You can buy Marko stock that has been cut into 0.75-1.0 inch flat pieces. Those pieces can be use as a base for structures. You can also get egg crate and cut it into large pieces to more evenly distribute the weight and avoid direct contact of the rock to the bottom glass. The problem with the egg crate method is some fish like to clear out sand from areas which results in the egg crate getting exposed. This mostly just an aesthetic issue.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose flat rock. You can probably find it at the LFS. Or just order it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back