My first reef build - 55g tank / 20g sump

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m just getting started on my first reef tank, most of the initial build is done and just need to finish the trim and paint the actual build out. I built it in the wall between my living room and my office and since I was going to the trouble to plumb in a water supply, I decided to add a sink and a bar on the living room side. Yay more room for booze! The tank is cycling and my controller should be here this week and hopefully I’ll be able to do all my cable management next weekend. I’m probably about a month out from fish/coral.
4B791999-51B5-483D-B43B-38901EBAB571.jpeg
D09FADCC-A314-4890-863C-39FA762639D2.jpeg
2C09FE9C-C434-4B00-97A4-974BB800D1DC.jpeg
B3045D25-AD07-4D06-AA06-90E3AA15ECD3.jpeg
F496D2AA-E78A-4C26-8422-5C33B9AC6A68.jpeg
F8969C04-07DD-46CA-8E37-30F287D9B691.jpeg

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, painted, bar lights installed, aquarium controller and auto water change system installed. Refugium stocked with red ogo micro algae and copapods.

Attachments

• D796EB0E-9855-4438-8014-C93ED4573DFF.jpeg
    D796EB0E-9855-4438-8014-C93ED4573DFF.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 65F5A43A-F140-4C75-B42A-55AA1EC98EE8.jpeg
    65F5A43A-F140-4C75-B42A-55AA1EC98EE8.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DCAE9BD5-02A9-44E9-AF50-462C8A78FBBA.jpeg
    DCAE9BD5-02A9-44E9-AF50-462C8A78FBBA.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 50

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how you have your setup, near the bar and with a bit of a table space. And jealous that you seem to be a talented handy craftsman by the looks of how everything is neatly done!

I wish i could have done this here at home, i currently have my tank at the lobby so usually i just get a beer and pull a chair to enjoy the tank - though i'd prefer to have it near my bar.

Great that the tank also has 3 viewing angles, this will look really nice.

What fish and coral you plan on adding there?

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how you have your setup, near the bar and with a bit of a table space. And jealous that you seem to be a talented handy craftsman by the looks of how everything is neatly done!

I wish i could have done this here at home, i currently have my tank at the lobby so usually i just get a beer and pull a chair to enjoy the tank - though i'd prefer to have it near my bar.

Great that the tank also has 3 viewing angles, this will look really nice.

What fish and coral you plan on adding there?
Thanks! It has been quite a project and I'm about $3k over my initial budget (I added several additions to the initial concept), but I think it's going to look great eventually.

I currently have these in my coral quarantine (frag) tank.

Radioactive Dragoneyes Zoanthids X3
Radioactive_Dragoneyes_Zoanthids_1000x.jpg

Blastomussa Merletti
W-081221-12_64613f4b-5660-4c17-9335-d8c9ec8de072_1200x.jpg

WWC Winters Pipe Organ
WWC_Winters_Pipe_Organ_1000x.jpg

Red People Eater Zoanthids
R02-46-506_grande_94991108-e76c-4c0d-b841-e4ee2ed63989_600x.jpg

Frozen Alveopora
url.jpg

WWC Waving Hand Anthellia
WWC_Pinkish_Anthellia_1000x.jpg

Australian Green Frogspawn
DSC_4306_900x.jpg

Australian Blue Tip Elegance Coral
DSC_4157_900x.jpg

Australian Coco Hammer
DSC_4324_900x.jpg

Seriatopora sp. Birdsnest
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.55.32 PM.jpg

Palythoa sp. Hyper Bam Bams
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.41.11 PM.jpg

For fish, I am planning on these to start with

2 - Onyx Picasso Clownfish

1 - Wrasse (haven't decided type)

1 Purple Tang (before the tang police come for me, I talked to my local shop who I'm buying it from and once it is too big for the tank they will trade me for another small one)

4-6 Pajama Cardinalfish

Last edited:

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It has been quite a project and I'm about $3k over my initial budget (I added several additions to the initial concept), but I think it's going to look great eventually.

I currently have these in my coral quarantine (frag) tank.

Radioactive Dragoneyes Zoanthids X3
Radioactive_Dragoneyes_Zoanthids_1000x.jpg

Blastomussa Merletti
W-081221-12_64613f4b-5660-4c17-9335-d8c9ec8de072_1200x.jpg

WWC Winters Pipe Organ
WWC_Winters_Pipe_Organ_1000x.jpg

Red People Eater Zoanthids
R02-46-506_grande_94991108-e76c-4c0d-b841-e4ee2ed63989_600x.jpg

Frozen Alveopora
url.jpg

WWC Waving Hand Anthellia
WWC_Pinkish_Anthellia_1000x.jpg

Australian Green Frogspawn
DSC_4306_900x.jpg

Australian Blue Tip Elegance Coral
DSC_4157_900x.jpg

Australian Coco Hammer
DSC_4324_900x.jpg

Seriatopora sp. Birdsnest
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.55.32 PM.jpg

Palythoa sp. Hyper Bam Bams
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.41.11 PM.jpg

For fish, I am planning on these to start with

2 - Onyx Picasso Clownfish

1 - Wrasse (haven't decided type)

1 Purple Tang (before the tang police come for me, I talked to my local shop who I'm buying it from and once it is too big for the tank they will trade me for another small one)

4-6 Pajama Cardinalfish
Very nice.

Those zoas and paly are just amazing, haha just triggered me to want to get some for my tank.

The waving hand anthelia we can actually find a heap in a local beach here in Queensland, Australia.

And about the budget i can relate, haha is there such a thing as "budget" in saltwater hobby .

Looking forward to seeing the progress, being a new reefer as well I'd say you might go through some learning curve on balancing parameters, algae, understanding coral care etc.

It's very rewarding in both terms of knowledge and building your own tiny ocean ecosystem.

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.

Those zoas and paly are just amazing, haha just triggered me to want to get some for my tank.

The waving hand anthelia we can actually find a heap in a local beach here in Queensland, Australia.

And about the budget i can relate, haha is there such a thing as "budget" in saltwater hobby .

Looking forward to seeing the progress, being a new reefer as well I'd say you might go through some learning curve on balancing parameters, algae, understanding coral care etc.

It's very rewarding in both terms of knowledge and building your own tiny ocean ecosystem.
I am hoping to make a really pretty zoa garden in my tank and trying to choose varieties is so hard, I want them all! I eventually want it to cover all of the smooth rock and possibly the top of the entire cave.

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6867.JPG

There is definitely a learning curve, I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time reading forums and watching youtube videos trying to learn as much as possible and avoid potential problems. A lot of the budget overrun and changes in my original design were to avoid pitfalls.

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is incredible! Your stand and plumbing is top-notch!

I am also working to set up my first reef tank and am using a 55g as well.

I am curious about a couple of things...

1. With the way you mounted the gyre, can you choose which direction the flow goes? I've never seen them mounted vertically and had avoided getting one because I have zero space to mount the magnets on the ends of my tank (and I figured it would create a mess if I had the flow going across the narrow part of the tank).

2. You clearly have a lot of experience and are not cutting corners, can you share why you chose a 55? I have been given a ton of advice NOT to use this tank, but due to my tank shelf space available, and weight-bearing concerns I went with a 55. I'd love to know why you chose this over a 75 or 90.

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is incredible! Your stand and plumbing is top-notch!

I am also working to set up my first reef tank and am using a 55g as well.

I am curious about a couple of things...

1. With the way you mounted the gyre, can you choose which direction the flow goes? I've never seen them mounted vertically and had avoided getting one because I have zero space to mount the magnets on the ends of my tank (and I figured it would create a mess if I had the flow going across the narrow part of the tank).

2. You clearly have a lot of experience and are not cutting corners, can you share why you chose a 55? I have been given a ton of advice NOT to use this tank, but due to my tank shelf space available, and weight-bearing concerns I went with a 55. I'd love to know why you chose this over a 75 or 90.
Thanks for your kind words! It’s an adventure and I’m trying to follow as much of the advice from experienced reefers as possible, but it has been one challenge and mistake after another. I have spent a fortune (for me) and have been trying to invest in gear that will give me consistency and longevity in the hobby. I am a small business owner with a poly family so time is a very finite resource and I’m trying to automate anything that I can.

The gyre was turned vertically because the 4k is 1/2 an inch too wide for the tank, it has now been replaced with two 2k gyres one on each end controlled by the hydros wave engine. The gyres are adjustable and can be placed vertically but it was moving the sand in my tank way too much. The 4k gyre is now in my 40 breeder frag tank.

I chose the 55 partially because of space and partially because of availability. I considered a 75 but they were unavailable locally and in warehouse when I was shopping for a tank and I decided that I wanted the extra counter space for working on the tank. Three months later, 75g tanks are back in stock and I’m somewhat regretting my decision, because the 75 would have given me more options for aquascaping. This is my first reef tank and I’m trying to do it right, but there is definitely a learning curve.

I may eventually upgrade to a 75 or 120
(similar length and height so it should be fairly easy to remodel the cabinet. I’m going to wait at least a year before considering that so that my partners don’t get too frustrated with me, lol.

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your kind words! It’s an adventure and I’m trying to follow as much of the advice from experienced reefers as possible, but it has been one challenge and mistake after another. I have spent a fortune (for me) and have been trying to invest in gear that will give me consistency and longevity in the hobby. I am a small business owner with a poly family so time is a very finite resource and I’m trying to automate anything that I can.

The gyre was turned vertically because the 4k is 1/2 an inch too wide for the tank, it has now been replaced with two 2k gyres one on each end controlled by the hydros wave engine. The gyres are adjustable and can be placed vertically but it was moving the sand in my tank way too much. The 4k gyre is now in my 40 breeder frag tank.

I chose the 55 partially because of space and partially because of availability. I considered a 75 but they were unavailable locally and in warehouse when I was shopping for a tank and I decided that I wanted the extra counter space for working on the tank. Three months later, 75g tanks are back in stock and I’m somewhat regretting my decision, because the 75 would have given me more options for aquascaping. This is my first reef tank and I’m trying to do it right, but there is definitely a learning curve.

I may eventually upgrade to a 75 or 120
(similar length and height so it should be fairly easy to remodel the cabinet. I’m going to wait at least a year before considering that so that my partners don’t get too frustrated with me, lol.
Thanks for the info and I hear ya about the 55 vs 75 debate. I went through the same deliberation and when Petco had their tank sale I just went for the 55 due to my reasons previously shared. From the looks of your stand/bar it'll be a pretty easy swap if you decide you want the extra space for aquascaping (but I think yours looks great as is).

If you are curious, check out my (far more simple tank) in my build thread. I'll certainly keep an eye on yours.

OP
OP
Shadowfire

Shadowfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and I hear ya about the 55 vs 75 debate. I went through the same deliberation and when Petco had their tank sale I just went for the 55 due to my reasons previously shared. From the looks of your stand/bar it'll be a pretty easy swap if you decide you want the extra space for aquascaping (but I think yours looks great as is).

If you are curious, check out my (far more simple tank) in my build thread. I'll certainly keep an eye on yours.
Will definitely check it out!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back