My First Salt Water Tank!

SeaMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2012-04-15 10.54.48.jpg

I started this tank November 2011. I bought a used 75 gallon Oceanic tank and stand. I had to sand, stain, and polyurethane the cabinet. I came with an Oceanic model 2, 30 gallon sump. It also came with 48" Coralfe Power Compacts (two 10,000 K white, two 460 aconite, and 4 moonlight leds). I bought new sand at my LFS but found used live rock from a local person breaking down a marine tank. The catch with the live rock was that i had to take the two fish in the tank, a hippo tang and a gold stripped maroon clownfish. Since I had not started cycling my tank I was nervous. Sone forum members advised me to give the fish to my LFS or find another person with an established tank to take them. I set up a 20 gallon tank to hold them in. It didn't take long to become attached to the darn fish, they have such personalities (especially the hippo tang, its like a puppy following me demanding attention)!

I started out with an AquaC skimmer but eventually purchased a Diablo 160. I must sway I am pleased with the purchase. I works great.

Well, I am happy to say that they are alive and doing well after just about six months. I've added a few fish to my tank but not much. It has been an experience that has taken time but I have not regretted it yet!

I am enjoying this so much that I found a used 55 gallon tank to add to my existing system. Still working on that project...

I want to start my hand at corals in May of 2012. I purchased the Red Sea test kits and supplements to get my water ready and stable for coral. I don't want to spend all this money on coral and then have them die on me.

I am now looking at my lighting. I would like LEDs and am starting my research on those. MH use to much energy and add to much heat. I want to avoid using a chiller.

I am always open to comments, advice, and constructive criticism. If you have any, please send them my way. Thanks!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! 1smile1 Be sure to start a build thread to document your progress!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and very good start!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Welcome to R2R!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r, tank is looking great and look foward to following along with your progress.

OP
OP
S

SeaMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and good luck wishes. This is NOT an easy hobby but it is extremely addictive! My main problem (ongoing for a while now and probably due to overfeeding) is high nitrates. I have recently installed a BRS Bio Pellet reactor. Instructions say to wait 8 weeks, so I am trying to be patient (one virtue I am improving on with this hobby). Any other ideas would be welcome. I'd love to say I will cut down on the feeding but it is soooo hard when it is so much fun to watch them eat. Especially the hippo tang, she darts back and forth like a vacuum, seems like she is saying mine, mine, mine... yum, yum, yum... I am sure at least one of you enjoy the feeding time too. Its hard to cut back.

I am still waiting for the Coraline algae growth on the back of the tank to appear. So far nothing...

I will be away for three whole weeks and my husband will be feeding the fish for me but that's it. I will do a water change just before I leave and one as soon as I return. I hope to not loose any of my fish.

Well, thanks again for the greetings.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back