OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey! I'm guessing you've been to Vances in Bucksport then? If not I highly recommend it. By far the best store in the area. (Actually the only store I really trust with saltwater around here)

no I haven’t but I’ve heard only good things about it and would like to go at some point. Actually I tried to get a hold of him just last week to get his opinion on emerald crabs and if he had any in stock, but I wasn’t able to.

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I haven’t but I’ve heard only good things about it and would like to go at some point. Actually I tried to get a hold of him just last week to get his opinion on emerald crabs and if he had any in stock, but I wasn’t able to.
He doesn't like them, lol, I got mine from Petco a while back.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing my WC last night I went on a bubble algae hunt, and pulled everything I could. I was able to get it all out without popping any of the bubbles...;Hilarious;Hilarious;HilariousHaHaHa, just kidding most of them popped. However I had the flow turned off and had my siphon hose right next to, or on top of where I was working. So hopefully the majority of spores were sucked up.
37BCA09B-E1A4-4AC7-BB24-8273DD21158B.jpeg

06C7D55E-1990-4F7B-AA20-3188886023AF.jpeg

My zoa is now cleaned off as well as some other rocks.

While the flow was turned off I was looking around to see if I could see any more algae. I didn’t see any more. But I did notice some odd creatures.

I believe these are limpets. They are all over my rocks.
9FD9D5E2-0892-4A71-BAC5-421A666C6F8F.jpeg
1583585345556.png

I think they are good cuc, and I’ve got a ton of them.

The last thing I found was what almost looks like a slug, or maybe a snail without his shell. It’s very weird looking.

It has a hard spot on top of his body but not a shell.

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like yours? Does it bother corals or fish?
Mine died after a few months but it left everything alone except for fighting off hermit crabs from food pellets. He was neat, but not the algae eater I sort of needed him to be so I ended up replacing him with more snails

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goniopora that I bought in the frenzy of a live sale. It was cheap, I was caught up in the moment and I bought it. I didn't know at the time that they were hard to keep. It has been sitting on the back of a rock for about 5 months. It hasn't been doing terribly, but it hasn't been thriving either. After reading @Magellan build and his trials with his goniopora I decided to move it lower down in the tank. After doing some more research I see that a lot of people have theirs in the sand. Well my demon goby wont allow that. The only reason my Elegance isn't buried is because I think it stings him when he gets to close.
FTS5 2.28.20 - Copy_LI.jpg

I moved it over the weekend and so far I think it's been doing good.
53756DC2-6A90-4B70-BB5F-43079D07ECAF.jpeg

I'm hoping in its new spot it will start growing more. I have a duncan that was in that spot but closed up after some time. I'm wondering if I move it over the the higher spot would help him. I figured out the reason the duncan was closed is my clowns were irritating it. The clowns don't go over and behind that rock on the right very much so maybe the duncan will do better over there.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goniopora that I bought in the frenzy of a live sale. It was cheap, I was caught up in the moment and I bought it. I didn't know at the time that they were hard to keep. It has been sitting on the back of a rock for about 5 months. It hasn't been doing terribly, but it hasn't been thriving either. After reading @Magellan build and his trials with his goniopora I decided to move it lower down in the tank. After doing some more research I see that a lot of people have theirs in the sand. Well my demon goby wont allow that. The only reason my Elegance isn't buried is because I think it stings him when he gets to close.
FTS5 2.28.20 - Copy_LI.jpg

I moved it over the weekend and so far I think it's been doing good.
53756DC2-6A90-4B70-BB5F-43079D07ECAF.jpeg

I'm hoping in its new spot it will start growing more. I have a duncan that was in that spot but closed up after some time. I'm wondering if I move it over the the higher spot would help him. I figured out the reason the duncan was closed is my clowns were irritating it. The clowns don't go over and behind that rock on the right very much so maybe the duncan will do better over there.
If you moved it and it’s already out, it definitely likes the spot! When I moved mine to the bottom it came out fully within a couple days, I was expecting weeks ;Dead

I’ve since moved it again to the back corner, it took much longer to get all the way back to 100%. Clearly not as ideal as the front corner in low flow, but after adding a wave maker that was just too much for him and he didn’t like it anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I went to pick up some corals I bought from the AquaSD live sale. When I walked into UPS to get my box the women immediately said "You're the fish lady right?" I think it's official, I have became a true reefer when the UPS workers recognize me as "the fish lady".

I bought a bunch of stuff... as usually, I have no control when it is a sale. However, most of the things I bought are going into my office 30 gallon tank. I only got a couple new things for this one.

coral rack2.jpg

I bought a new torch to replace the one that died last month. This one is soooo little though. Seems happy so far.
Torch-Black light.jpg

I got a Micromussa. It has had its feeders out a lot...So I've been feeding it... a lot
Micromussa Purple.jpg

Lastly a Hydnophora. I'm still doing research on this one to find the best placement in the tank.
Hydnophora-Toxic.jpg

I'm going to have to do some rearrange of some of the other corals. I say this every time I get something new... I just don't think I have space for anything else, but I always seem to find something I need.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I went to pick up some corals I bought from the AquaSD live sale. When I walked into UPS to get my box the women immediately said "You're the fish lady right?" I think it's official, I have became a true reefer when the UPS workers recognize me as "the fish lady".

I bought a bunch of stuff... as usually, I have no control when it is a sale. However, most of the things I bought are going into my office 30 gallon tank. I only got a couple new things for this one.

coral rack2.jpg

I bought a new torch to replace the one that died last month. This one is soooo little though. Seems happy so far.
Torch-Black light.jpg

I got a Micromussa. It has had its feeders out a lot...So I've been feeding it... a lot
Micromussa Purple.jpg

Lastly a Hydnophora. I'm still doing research on this one to find the best placement in the tank.
Hydnophora-Toxic.jpg

I'm going to have to do some rearrange of some of the other corals. I say this every time I get something new... I just don't think I have space for anything else, but I always seem to find something I need.
My hydnophora gets a lot of light and a lot of flow and is happy and growing!

just be careful about it’s proximity to other corals, think of it as the Hulk...no one will like him when he’s angry! It can put out sweepers several inches long.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hydnophora gets a lot of light and a lot of flow and is happy and growing!

just be careful about it’s proximity to other corals, think of it as the Hulk...no one will like him when he’s angry! It can put out sweepers several inches long.

My original thought was to put it back where my Goniopora was. I will have good light and flow. It's on the back of a rock so there isn't anything around it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back