Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Parameters from last night.

Calcium:420
Magnesium:1330
Alkalinity:8.3
Phosphates:0.16
Nitrates:10

I use RODI water with TSD of 0. That would be a good idea to get an outside water test just to make sure. In the meantime would you suggest doing several large water changes, just in case?
Those look fine, what about pH?

Water changes wouldn’t hurt so I would do a couple over the next week.

also pick yourself up an ICP test kit to test your tank water and RODI water for things you can’t test with hobby grade equipment.

also give this a read to understanding why 0 TDS may not really be 0

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/at-what-tds-do-you-change-your-di.718256/post-7537628

keep us updated.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you do water changes? And what %?

Since the start of the tank I have been doing 25% ever two weeks. Recently, the month of May, I started to do 10% every week. I switched because my mixing station isn't big enough to mix 25% at one time. So I make a batch, put some into a 7 gallon container and then make some more to come up with 25%. It has always been a pain, and just recently I thought why don't you just switch to 10% a week. That I can easily make at once... The switch was around the time things went south, would something like that cause these issues?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also pick yourself up an ICP test kit to test your tank water and RODI water for things you can’t test with hobby grade equipment.

I called my LFS and they don't have any in stock so I started to look online at BRS and Marine Depot. I noticed there are several different types; ATI, Triton, and CoralVue. I notice ATI has a specific test tube for RODI water which I like as it is important to test both the source and the tank. Triton comes with two test tubes, but it appears from the video on BRS you need to fill both with tank water, is that accurate?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for ATI because I use it and love it. They have three vials for tank saltwater and one for RODI water.

What is your turn around time usually like? Also with the results do they give you suggestions on fixes as well as possible causes?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that's nice to see it. How do you know what is in your RODI water? For example it looks like you only have one "Pollutants" how do you know if that is in your RODI or just your tank water?

They give you a separate analysis that looks exactly the same for RODI at the same time. Of course the goal on everything there is 0. If it’s anything else they recommend checking/replacing filters, resin and membrane.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my LFS and they don't have any in stock so I started to look online at BRS and Marine Depot. I noticed there are several different types; ATI, Triton, and CoralVue. I notice ATI has a specific test tube for RODI water which I like as it is important to test both the source and the tank. Triton comes with two test tubes, but it appears from the video on BRS you need to fill both with tank water, is that accurate?
I go with ATI since they test my RODI as well and from what I’ve gathered none of the other ones do.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just walked past the tank and my cleaner shrimp was dead. Can Cyanobacteria or other algae’s cause death in inverts?
68F2C3E4-FFCD-45FA-B726-AE6CED720E4E.jpeg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen or heard of such a small amount of algae (based on the pictures) killing anything. Or even a lot of algae.

There is definitely something off with the water. I suspect a rusting magnet. Going to 10% wc wouldn't affect things like this.

Is it possible your diamond goby starved? He may have been added before enough fauna built up in the sandbed and then he kept it super clean?

Test your water for copper. I'm not sure how that would have gotten in but the shrimp dying and the snails falling is very strange. Ammonia is def at 0 right? I wouldn't worry about pH.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen or heard of such a small amount of algae (based on the pictures) killing anything. Or even a lot of algae.

There is definitely something off with the water. I suspect a rusting magnet. Going to 10% wc wouldn't affect things like this.

Is it possible your diamond goby starved? He may have been added before enough fauna built up in the sandbed and then he kept it super clean?

Test your water for copper. I'm not sure how that would have gotten in but the shrimp dying and the snails falling is very strange. Ammonia is def at 0 right? I wouldn't worry about pH.

hmmmm... rusty magnets. So now that you say that I just added the floating rock almost three weeks ago. Could the magnet on that be causing the issue? The magnet it coated with something so it’s not exposed to the water... but IDK I bought it from someone on eBay.

I don’t think the goby starved because he ate everything; flakes and frozen food as well as the nori on the clip. I mean I can’t definitively say no, but he didn’t appear skinny and he was definitely eat a wide range of food and had ample amounts. I also have a good amount of pods in the tank, not sure if they eat those, but they were available.

I just ordered an ICP test so I can see if there is a contaminant in the tank. I’m pretty sure my RODI water is good, and the only reason I say that is because I have another tank which I use the same water and that one is doing fine(knock on wood).

I found a seachem ammonia alert badge with some tank stuff so I put that in and it shows zero.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back