At what TDS, do you change your DI?

Reefinometry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people religiously change once it hits 1, but some others don't until almost 5.

Lets hear what you prefer to do and why?

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run an RO/DI just DI in a 5’ canister that I fill with 45 lbs of resin
Always an extra 45 lbs on hand and change when meter hits 1

No sense in adding contaminates to the tank

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice, I’ve waited until it read anything higher than zero, and both times I’ve started to have issues that I couldn’t explain with other parameters. Lost some cool corals due to laziness, so now I try to change it as soon as I see anything higher than 0. One less variable to consider

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing above zero for me. Usually I just eyeball the mixed bed and change it out when the color shift is close to the top.

xenttt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0, I change mines right before when the color has completely changed on the resin.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait till the TDS meter goes from 0 to 1. Back when I ran color changing resin, I stopped paying attention to the color change as it’d still produce 0 tds long after the color change. Because of that, I stopped using color changing resin and rely solely on my meter readings.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
0 tds! Tds can absolutely kill and crash a tank especially sps. Any tds in water can promote silicates, metals, and po4.

mymarinedream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test each time it comes out. If it’s 0 carry on. If I see 1ppm. Bin it and change until it reads 0 again. Why risk anything else when it’s cheap and simply to change.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as it reads 001 i change it

IMG_20200508_204057.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s some last week water in the barrel and I am adding to it, change resin at 5.
Brand new batch from a clean barrel, change beyond 3.

Quinton Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horror alert... I was using tap water with 1300 TDS for the first two years of my 120 gal tank without issues. Didnt know TDS was that bad until I finally installed a rodi system with TDS monitoring and holding tank. I have about 60 TDS going into my DI filter and it's been pushing out 0 for almost two months, about 200 gallons of water. I likely wont change it out until it hits 5.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there’s an argument both ways. The biggest issue with any TDS reading other than 0 is that what ever is in the water given you a reading is completely unknown. It can be 1ppm of Cal, Mag, Alk or any other beneficial element in which case it will not hurt your water.

The counter argument is that it can be 1ppm or more or something bad like heavy metals, arsenic, phosphate or what have you.

Realistically at those small levels plus the dilution factor once you figure in how small your water changes truly are is that it will most probably not have any negative effect on your system.

There are some salts that say use water of 10ppm or less with 0 being preferred.

Then comes me, my argument is that 0ppm on a TDS meter isn’t truly always 0PPM and let me tell you why.

1st, how long has it been since you last properly calibrated either your in-line meter or your hand held meter? If not Calibrated regularly then I guarantee you that your readings are incorrect.

2nd, there are elements within the water that are insulators. Silica being one of them. So what does that mean? It means that you can have 10ppm, 20ppm or evening more of Silica in your water but because it is an insulator (meaning it does not give off an electrical charge) your TDS meter will never read it or pick it up.

3rd, PPM is a rather small scale. Meaning that anything under 1.0 ppm will read as 0. For instance, EC will read in Microsiemens. 1ppm is equal to 1.56 microsiemens. Also there’s the limitations of your meter. If your meter only reads to 0 then you could have .9ppm level of TDS in your water but your standard in-line and handheld meter will still read 0ppm.

Now the question becomes well how do I truly know what my readings are?

First off Calibrate your meters with a known NaCL Solution.

I use HM Digitals 342ppm standard.

Next get yourself a true EC Meter like the HM Digital Com 100 which will give your readings in ppm format all the way down to 0.00ppm and even better yet reads in microsiemens also which is a greater range than PPM.

Lastly, ICP test your RODI water. That way you can test for elements that are not conductive to be sure and or to adjust the Type of DI you need.

Personally I Run three DI resins. This way every step polishes the last. So I am okay with my first Resin giving me a reading over 0. Because my second and third clean off my first. Once my second reason reads 1 I throw out the first, move the second and third resin up a slot and add a new one into slot three.

lastly here’s two pictures of what my calibrated in-line meter read as 0ppm and my calibrated Com-100 then read as under 1 but over 0.00.

Reading in PPM
CB719D89-19AD-40B1-B3BC-81E4ED4ADE97.jpeg

Reading in Microsiemens
244EFFEB-11FE-4477-85C1-AB93AA86BF94.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefinometry

Reefinometry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there’s an argument both ways. The biggest issue with any TDS reading other than 0 is that what ever is in the water given you a reading is completely unknown. It can be 1ppm of Cal, Mag, Alk or any other beneficial element in which case it will not hurt your water.

The counter argument is that it can be 1ppm or more or something bad like heavy metals, arsenic, phosphate or what have you.

Realistically at those small levels plus the dilution factor once you figure in how small your water changes truly are is that it will most probably not have any negative effect on your system.

There are some salts that say use water of 10ppm or less with 0 being preferred.

Then comes me, my argument is that 0ppm on a TDS meter isn’t truly always 0PPM and let me tell you why.

1st, how long has it been since you last properly calibrated either your in-line meter or your hand held meter? If not Calibrated regularly then I guarantee you that your readings are incorrect.

2nd, there are elements within the water that are insulators. Silica being one of them. So what does that mean? It means that you can have 10ppm, 20ppm or evening more of Silica in your water but because it is an insulator (meaning it does not give off an electrical charge) your TDS meter will never read it or pick it up.

3rd, PPM is a rather small scale. Meaning that anything under 1.0 ppm will read as 0. For instance, EC will read in Microsiemens. 1ppm is equal to 1.56 microsiemens. Also there’s the limitations of your meter. If your meter only reads to 0 then you could have .9ppm level of TDS in your water but your standard in-line and handheld meter will still read 0ppm.

Now the question becomes well how do I truly know what my readings are?

First off Calibrate your meters with a known NaCL Solution.

I use HM Digitals 342ppm standard.

Next get yourself a true EC Meter like the HM Digital Com 100 which will give your readings in ppm format all the way down to 0.00ppm and even better yet reads in microsiemens also which is a greater range than PPM.

Lastly, ICP test your RODI water. That way you can test for elements that are not conductive to be sure and or to adjust the Type of DI you need.

Personally I Run three DI resins. This way every step polishes the last. So I am okay with my first Resin giving me a reading over 0. Because my second and third clean off my first. Once my second reason reads 1 I throw out the first, move the second and third resin up a slot and add a new one into slot three.

lastly here’s two pictures of what my calibrated in-line meter read as 0ppm and my calibrated Com-100 then read as under 1 but over 0.00.

Reading in PPM
CB719D89-19AD-40B1-B3BC-81E4ED4ADE97.jpeg

Reading in Microsiemens
244EFFEB-11FE-4477-85C1-AB93AA86BF94.jpeg

Bravo, thank you for your help

hoyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait till the TDS meter goes from 0 to 1. Back when I ran color changing resin, I stopped paying attention to the color change as it’d still produce 0 tds long after the color change. Because of that, I stopped using color changing resin and rely solely on my meter readings.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back