Sediment filter needs changing after 2 months

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my 5 stage RODI system filters in the middle of Jan. This time around I used the filter pack that has the GE ROSave.Z 1 Micron Depth Filter. It is completely rusty looking, and I've noticed the pressure drop by 5psi when the system is on.

I put the system online, at the end of 2022, (used system, replaced the membrane, filters, and DI) I used the filter kit that had the NeoPure 1 Micron Sediment Filter. It took at least 6 months for any rust color to appear. I changed the sediment and two carbon as all three were very rusty looking in Jan '24. The water was at 5 TDS going into the DI and 0 TDS out with no pressure drop.

I'm curious as to why the depth filter has expired so fast, aren't they supposed to last longer than a regular one? The TDS in the tap water has not changed. One of my LFS's said it was due to winter and cold water, however it did not do this last year. Anyone have a similar experience or idea as to why this happened? I'm thinking of replacing it with the NeoPure and seeing how long it lasts.

BTW I make about 10-25 gallons a week, sometime less.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rust color is from your water. Why we dont know. Maybe your water co flushed the lines.
I use these :6 pack is $21.32 or $3.55 per filter. I change them when dirty looking.
Aquaboon 1 Micron Water Filter 10x2.5 inch - PP Sediment Water Filter Cartridge

OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The county is to flush the lines later this month. One reason I want to get it changed out, but primarily due to the PSI drop. It's odd that it happened so fast with a depth filter. Thanks for the filter recommendation, I just ordered the 6 pack.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back