OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I have a coralife 29 gallon biocube myself and love it. Lot's of upgrades/mods you can do to make them even better. I really like the black and white clown mixed with the regular clown as well.

Thanks. I really didn't even think about doing it until the girl at my LFS told me that's what she had. I'm happy I went with the combo especially with the limited amount of livestock you can have in a 29 biocube

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Rapid LED kit today. I probably won't get it all put together tonight but I'll post pics when I do. I'm really excited to see how it looks

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Coralife 29g and like it over the Oceanic. I'm trying to decide which of my two skimmers to use and I'm testing both.
The first is the CadLights PLS-50 the second is the brand new Tunze 9001. The CadLights does fit in the first section, which is what I prefer, but the
Tunze will only fit in the second section. Both work well. CadLights just released their new "Elite" version of the PLS-50. It looks more refined and may work even better.

I'm using the Kessil 150w, without the hood.

Last edited:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Rapid LED kit today. I probably won't get it all put together tonight but I'll post pics when I do. I'm really excited to see how it looks

Hey Andy, I was looking at these lights on the site, and wondering did you go with the standard 12 blue/ 12 white, full spectrum, or customize your own LED selection?

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the set up I'm running. I'm doing three stings of LEDs instead of two. I dont know how well it's gonna work with all of the crazy colors but it's not hard to swap out an led if I don't like how it looks. The white letters will be the blue ramp, the yellow letters are the green ramp, the red letters are the red ramp. It's not the exact way I'm running it but it gives you a good idea. I am using the coralux storm controller and I'm short one connection cable so I'm gona have to get that before I can get all three strings running.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408474836.444196.jpg

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I goofed up and short story is you have to cut the one end off anyways so by cutting them in half I now have four. If that makes any sense

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested in seeing your set-up with the new light kit. I plan on going with the upgrade as well with my own custom blend on the full spectrum w/ the controller they sale. I thought about getting the puck kit they sell but just don't see the light spreading out well in my tank with just one puck and not interested in buying 2. Love my Bio-cube!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely upgrading! Need me some shimmer! I think I'll go with the full spectrum and use the 3 LEDs in the stock lighting as moonlights. Not sure if I could do that? I am still kind of concerned with the temp. Undecided, the other kit I saw under stevesLEDs.com replaced the 2 stock fans with a blower type. I don't feel those stock fans deliver enough cfm's. With the stock PC's ) blue 10 hrs, white 3 temp is 83, ac 76. When you install, let me know if temp is an issue, will you please y'all !

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely upgrading! Need me some shimmer! I think I'll go with the full spectrum and use the 3 LEDs in the stock lighting as moonlights. Not sure if I could do that? I am still kind of concerned with the temp. Undecided, the other kit I saw under stevesLEDs.com replaced the 2 stock fans with a blower type. I don't feel those stock fans deliver enough cfm's. With the stock PC's ) blue 10 hrs, white 3 temp is 83, ac 76. When you install, let me know if temp is an issue, will you please y'all !

Well I dropped my digital thermometer in my tank during the install so I can't tell you about temps until I get a new one. There's no way it runs any where near as hot as the PCs.

And to the other person. You keep the stock fans with this kit and control them with the switch that turns on the actinics. I plan on upgrading the fans to silent x ones eventually.

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had the LEDs for a while and everything looks great except for some clove polyps that seem to droop a little when the lights are at their highest point during the day. Other than that everything else looks great. I really like the uv for the night lights. It makes the fluorescent colors pop so much more and I've read a couple things that they may actually be good for coral.

I picked up a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish yesterday. It is by far one of my favorite fish. I've been watching him to make sure he's not picking at coral. He's already eaten a ton of misis shrimp and a few pellets here and there. It's pretty impossible to get a good pic of him because he's so fast and the LEDs mess with the camera on my phone.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409265889.368275.jpg

OP
OP
andymcl82

andymcl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in a while. Not much has happened since last time I posted other than my cleaner shrimp dying :(. I got some new corals so here's a few pics

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412223909.633365.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412223937.055866.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412224003.606474.jpg

I've got a couple other ones that are closed up and I'm thinking of going tomorrow to the LFS to get a couple more. I'm trying to hold out for a frag swap in November.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin great Andy !

My wife's 29g cube is coming along, and she love's it !
It's,....HER TANK ! lol

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back