My Hermit crabs were getting funky lastnight.

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to do my nightly check of the fish tank before going to bed, and was amazed to see two of my hermit crabs locked in a passionet embrase. So I went to grab a camera, but by the time I got new batteries they had broke up. The smaller one was waiving her legs and releasing something. I turn the main light on. However, in the time it took for the light to power up she was done. There was hundreds of small white shrimp looking creatures floating everywhere. So I took a few shoots.
100_1532.jpg
100_1535.jpg

A second crab moved in and was quickly embrased by the larger of the two original crabs. This morning they were still embrased, and all of the babies were gone. I'm sure my corals and GBTA enjoyed the midnight snack.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's messed up...you should have put on some moonlighting and played some marvin gaye for them LOL

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha cool catch, I've never seen that before in my eight years in reefing. I like how she got done before the light came on... sounds like you were the wronged husband trying to catch them in the act. ;)

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha cool catch, I've never seen that before in my eight years in reefing. I like how she got done before the light came on... sounds like you were the wronged husband trying to catch them in the act. ;)
LOL. Yes I did feel like the hubby busting them.
I just wish I could of caught on video her releasing the fry. It was very cool.

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's messed up...you should have put on some moonlighting and played some marvin gaye for them LOL

Well I will assume that for hermit crabs Shawn Hannity / Fox news is like Marvin Gay, because he was on in the back ground.

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is a good sign that my new tank is going good. I did just dosed some iodine yesterday morning. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Maybe the highten levels are like oysters for us men.

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool catch! Thanks for sharing. I have never really heard of that either, so you must be doing something right! Setting candles up? Feeding a healthy portion of oysters maybe? ;)

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool catch! Thanks for sharing. I have never really heard of that either, so you must be doing something right! Setting candles up? Feeding a healthy portion of oysters maybe? ;)

Whatever it is that I'm doing is a good thing for crabs.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back