My Hydra32HD PAR results and BRS AB+ Spectrum Matching

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some math and tinkering, and by multiplying the Hydra26HD BRS AB+ numbers by 1.08, I was able to max out the power of the Hydra32HD and maintain what I believe to be close to the same spectrum.

I don't have a spectrometer to test, but after a lot of tinkering I came to the conclusion that multiplying the BRS AB+ Hydra26HD numbers by 1.08 would max out the UV channel on the Hydra32HD, similar to how it is maxed out in the Hydra26HD BRS AB+ Profile while maintaining what I think is close to the spectrum.

I did keep the reds and green at 6 percent for the sake of algae growth. This would be an interesting detail I hope @Bulk Reef Supply is able to address in the upcoming video.

I also rented a PAR meter from @Bulk Reef Supply (Sorry for taking 2 weeks, I couldn't help myself), and the Hydra32HD using my adjusted/increased BRS AB+ settings ( they are below ), on a 24"x24"x20" 50 gallon bare bottom SCA 50 gallon Cube, 13" above the water line, using the @3D Reefin' diffuser... I get:

~200-250 PAR in the top 6",
~130-180 PAR in the mid 6"
~80-115 PAR in the lower 6" (water line is 2" lower than tank height, for a total 18" water depth)

I think moving the light closer to the water would increase par, but decrease spread, from the BRS videos I've seen it seems diffusion with LED's using distance from water line and actual diffusers makes them much nicer, so I will keep it where it is for now, I have a MIXED reef, not SPS only, so these PAR ranges are ideal for my needs.

I hope this helps out other new Hydra32HD/Hydra26HD owners!

Settings:

IMG_1315.png
IMG_1316.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this with a question. Does anyone have any thoughts on how high the UV settings are for AB+ vs other spectrums? I think it's the only one I've ever seen that high, but other than spectrum matching I'm unsure of what else this high UV does for the tank...good or bad.

Thoughts?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@klimfish, this is great. It would be beneficial if we knew how many lights you have, whether these readings were taken with all pumps on or off, and more specific readings at spots around the tank so that we get a good idea of PAR spread.

Thanks for the info. :)

OP
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@klimfish, this is great. It would be beneficial if we knew how many lights you have, whether these readings were taken with all pumps on or off, and more specific readings at spots around the tank so that we get a good idea of PAR spread.

Thanks for the info. :)
No problem! The Hydra32HD is my only light, the readings with are with the pumps off. With the pumps on the peaks are the same in the areas mentioned, but the par meter jumps around, for example in the top six inches in the middle it will jump from 200-250, and the sides in the top six inches will jump from 150-200, that’s consistent across all depths measured.
id

I would love to take more specific readings, but alas, I must return the par meter :( I’d be happy to post a ton more info if @Bulk Reef Supply wants to let me use it for another week without being charged for it :)

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set the AB+ program on my 32s, looks good still a bit blue for me. I modified it just a little. Ramping up cools whites a little mid to end of day and added some uv and royal blues for a dawn dusk blue effect.

OP
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set the AB+ program on my 32s, looks good still a bit blue for me. I modified it just a little. Ramping up cools whites a little mid to end of day and added some uv and royal blues for a dawn dusk blue effect.

Good choices, I've seen others do similar things and have great luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back