Radion and SQ-420X Par Meter

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading for a couple of days about the Apogee SQ-420X par meter. For the price it seems like a great deal, but I have gotten confused on if it is even usable at this point. I have watched the BRS videos about the meters and think its just off a few percentage points, and then I read people saying it can be off as much as 50%. I still have a few questions that I was hoping someone with experience could shed some light on.

I know that there is a multiplier to has to be used in order to get accurate data from your readings. Is this the same as the immersion multiplier that can be enabled in the software?

If I do need to use the multiplier I do not see Radion lights listed anywhere on their charts, is there a number that should be used on these lights? Specifically the Radion XR15 Gen 6 Blues.

Thanks for any input.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SQ420x and radions. Just make sure the immersion multiplier is on to take measurements under water. The weighted measurements are above my understanding and I don’t even know if you can change it. I think they’re calibrated to photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD).

The MQ510 Is obviously going to be more accurate for LEDs. However, I talked to an Apogee rep and he said there is roughly a 10% measurement difference between the sq420x and MQ510. For half the price I don’t really care if it’s actually 400 umol and the 420x is reading 360 or 440. Close enough to get the information I need. Hope that helps at all

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SQ420x and radions. Just make sure the immersion multiplier is on to take measurements under water. The weighted measurements are above my understanding and I don’t even know if you can change it. I think they’re calibrated to photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD).

The MQ510 Is obviously going to be more accurate for LEDs. However, I talked to an Apogee rep and he said there is roughly a 10% measurement difference between the sq420x and MQ510. For half the price I don’t really care if it’s actually 400 umol and the 420x is reading 360 or 440. Close enough to get the information I need. Hope that helps at all
Ok great to hear. I agree I am not worried about getting a reading of 150 and it is really 120. I am more concerned with getting a reading of 150 and it is really 350.

Thanks for the info.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great to hear. I agree I am not worried about getting a reading of 150 and it is really 120. I am more concerned with getting a reading of 150 and it is really 350.

Thanks for the info.
No problem. I like having a meter I can grab and measuring at anytime. Because I can lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back