My JBJ 30RL

Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I would definitely fit under the "noob" category when it comes to reef tanks; or any tank for that matter. I actually got into this hobby because of a bad case of cabin-fever here in Maryland this winter. I got the tank from a nice couple in Va from a barter trade for a canoe I had but never used thanks to my kayaks. I got the tank, a fluorescent light, crushed coral, some nice live rock, and a ton of chemicals and food with the trade. I went through the cycle process with nothing more than some ammonia and a lot of patience.
I found some nice polyp colony frags, the trumpet coral, and a sun coral from a guy in southern Md. I really didn't have the right setup for the sun coral but it's slowly healing with the addition of AI Vega lighting; personally--I'd like to get rid of it due to the annoying feeding routine. I have to trick it out by turning the lights off for about 15 minutes, and feed each head with a turkey baster while keeping the emerald crabs away.
I got a healthy ocellaris clownfish from a nice guy that offers fish rescue in southern Md. Thanks Eric @ SMMAS.
I picked up a pair of schooling bannerfish from PetCo - I know this 30 is too small for them and I currently have a 125 project that should be ready in a few months.
There is also a cleanup crew consisting of some turbo and bumblebee snails, some blue and some red leg crabs, and two emerald crabs; (annoying little buggers-they will flip over everything they can)

The gear includes:
AI Vega Color lighting x2, (I'm going to get a third and swap all three onto the 125 setup. Not sure if I am going to keep the 30 up-and-running.)
JBJ Power heads
CPR HOB refugium with Chaeto and pod pack
Aquamaxx HOB-1 Protein Skimmer (This thing is ******!, I tried the CPR version because the Aquamaxx was out of stock everywhere and I brought it back the next day. The Aquamaxx is super efficient, super quiet, and started pulling gunk out within hours.)

Anyway, here are some pics
JBJ_Front.jpg
JBJ_AI.jpg
JBJ_Back.jpg

A few more of the livestock,
JBJ_Stock.jpg
JBJ_Stock2.jpg

OP
OP
E

Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics to sneak past the image limit,
JBJ_Stock3.jpg
JBJ_Stock4.jpg

Polyp colony before Vega;
PolypC_B.jpg

Polyp colony after Vega;
PolypC_V.jpg

OP
OP
E

Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, the 2x Vega's have the current firmware and are running at the following light %
White 10%
Red 5%
Green 10%
Blue 20%
D-Blue 20%
Royal Blue 20%

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back