my latest find

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i found this rock with a mix polyps living on it and got excited (im in UK)

the bigger polyps as shown do not seem to have any pox but the pox has completely spread amongst the smaller zoa's so the rock is in QT for the moment while i keep an eye on it.

anyway its the bigger polyps that was reason i buy the rock as they gorgeous and look like armageddons or AOG or similar morph, not something ive ever seen in the flesh.

anyways any id will be welcome and for some reason the mouths look green in picture but they are white in the flesh.

also as bigger polyps dont have any pox would it be best to remove small infested zoa's or just leave be (you can see a small closed polyp with pox on left)

Last edited:

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa pox is one of those things that no one can agree on:) From what I've read, its best to remove the infected polyps, and dip in Lugol's. Then, place them in quarantine with a good amount of flow. Hopefully it helps - from what I've read its pretty tough to get rid of!

OP
OP
B

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had some pox before and got through not loosing whole colonies and my pink bubblegum zoa was not infected at all, in this case as bigger polyps/palys not at all got any signs of pox while all small zoa's both sides and in between palys are infested (but all open still) im thinking the palys are safe/immune as would of shown pox by now

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of the intermediate forms of Lord of the Rings awaiting approval as Blacklights.

I've never seen zoa pox affect large polyped zoas or palys, and would not be worried about these polyps. They do look a bit stressed, and the swollen bases reminds me of a batch of Alien Eyes I found at the LFS that had zoa spiders on them. That was my only experience with the spiders so I'm not sure if that is a symptom or was just a coincidence.

OP
OP
B

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea they may look abit stressed as i just got them and they had a fw dip and placed in QT, this is an hour later with them just opening after all that.

the mouths are white and not green as in picture, i decided i not want the palys in the mix so will remove small zoa's anyway.

OP
OP
B

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres another picture of them now abit more relaxed, the pattern not so uniformed with each polyp, i guess being shipped half way around the world might have something to do with that lol, i guess they'll eventually even out/morph to wat ever they gonna look like once they been in my set up for awhile, they are very very bright orange/pink and picture really not do them justice.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back