My lightning clown is a bleeping terror!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know maroon clown fish can be stinkers. I have three of them. Still, my female lightning clown is a bleeping terror! She's been moved from a 29 gal where she was fine until she got about mid size and then she started terrorizing the locals. I moved her (along with the male lightning) to the 180 gal, what I always thought would be her forever home when she grew out big enough to play with the big boys. After only a few weeks, she became so aggressive (Picking on my majestic angel...not happening!), that I moved her to the sump to cool her fins while I tried to figure out what to do with her. The male remained in the 180 gal. He's still there and actually happier without her pestering him non stop.

After about a month, I decided to try her in my 29 gal BioCube with attached 20 gal sump. Yes, I know...too small for her, but I figured the BioCube was larger than the sump area where she had been camping. The BioCube is currently being utilized as a grow out/frag quarantine. It's also home to a zebra dwarf lion fish and an aiptasia eating file fish. (On a side note...I HATE aiptasia!) Ok, back to the clown fish saga...

Well, she picked one too many times on the lion fish and he must have stuck her while I was at work a few weeks ago. Her mouth swelled up and turned an off color. She hid in her bubble tip for three days. I thought she was a goner. I didn't want to try and move her from her nem while she was so ill, so I watched and waited. Then, low and behold, she started eating and ruling the tank again. She seemed to have learned her lesson and leaves the lion fish...so far...alone.

Unfortunately, she has now started flipping my frag rack! Grrrrr. My cap and Ora birdsnest were thrown together into the sand. Now, the birdsnest is slowly dying. Today, the she devil flipped my purple stylo and then dug so deep under the rock where her nem is stationed that the rock toppled over, squishing her nem. I don't know how long the nem was trapped beneath the rock, but when I found it and flipped upright the rock, the nem immediately puked up the contents of its breakfast (You can see the half digested krill in the sand).

I'm not sure what to do with this girl! I don't want to get rid of her, but I've run out of tanks to transfer her into. Sigh.... Anyone know how to spank a clown fish?

The attached pic is of my unhappy nem. The guilty girl is hiding in the darkness of her cup because I had my hand in the tank and re-positioned her nem's rock. So far, she hides when I put my hand in the tank, but I expect as she gets bigger, I'll get a few bloody fingers. The nem in the picture is quite sick looking deflated, miserable because of her antics! Any ideas besides selling her? The second pick is of the frag rack she is able to completely flip over!

Unhappy nem and guilty clown fish.jpg

frag rack 4-16-19.jpg

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell her and the male as well. They will only get worse as they get larger. Maroons belong in tank by themselves IMO.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a nem and clown only tank. I have a pair that's 10 years old with nems same age and after I move this summer they're getting their own dedicated tank. Currently they share the tank with a foxface, chromis & a long lost spotted grouper. They tolerate the others "most of the time" but my foxface is dang near twice their size and avoids the female as much as possible.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell her and the male as well.
Yes, I've considered it. Truth is I really like the looks of her. I even like her spunk...when it's not causing havoc with other fish or my corals.

Make a nem and clown only tank.
I guess sell or set up another tank are my only options, neither of which I really want to do. I just broke down two tanks trying to downsize. LOL

This summer I'll have a bit more time to play with my tanks than I have now. I'll make a final decision about selling or setting up a new tank then. Hopefully, my coral will last through her antics for another few months. Ugh! I'll have to buy better lights if I'm going to keep nems in another tank besides the BioCube or the 180 gal. This hobby is killing my pocketbook! I'd better start watching the R2R equipment ads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back