My little 350L sea

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your question. The easiest way would be to get a nice piece of rock that has a lot of coraline algae on it to"seed" you tank. Keep your alk, calcium and mag stable and it should take off in no time

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your question. The easiest way would be to get a nice piece of rock that has a lot of coraline algae on it to"seed" you tank. Keep your alk, calcium and mag stable and it should take off in no time

Thank you
I've bought some purple rock and I'm using Elemental ( bright well) every night, is that enough?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% familiar with that product but a quick look online says it raises calcium and magnesium in addition to a few other things. I would strongly suggest getting quality test kits so you can make sure that you are not dosing too much which can be just as bad if not worse than not enough.

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% familiar with that product but a quick look online says it raises calcium and magnesium in addition to a few other things. I would strongly suggest getting quality test kits so you can make sure that you are not dosing too much which can be just as bad if not worse than not enough.

I have Serra test kit but I've heard that the results are not certain, with that test my aquarium needs calcium, it's less than 400 and it's not good

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on your clowns, I see you have four. They will get aggressive with each other. Possibly kill each other if kept too long. They look small which means that in the future they will compete to pair up.

Hi
You were right, two of them paired up & killed the smallest one last night, the other one is hiding behind the rocks for now.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
You were right, two of them paired up & killed the smallest one last night, the other one is hiding behind the rocks for now.
I would try to catch the one that's hiding and see if you can trade it in for some credit or another fish. They will most likely kill that one too. It's not good when a fish is constantly hiding, especially a clownfish. They are not known to hide a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
But how should I catch it? I have to move some rocks, at least, it's really hard.

I would try to catch the one that's hiding and see if you can trade it in for some credit or another fish. They will most likely kill that one too. It's not good when a fish is constantly hiding, especially a clownfish. They are not known to hide a lot.

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
After a while I made some changes to my tank, added some new guests and a T5 light...
Here is some pics [emoji6]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418309520788.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418309520788.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 156
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418309626699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418309626699.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 137
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418309679798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418309679798.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 145
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418309865730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418309865730.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418310088164.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418310088164.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have noticed that my oval flower pot coral is infected by something that I think it's brown jelly disease, what should do? My hammer torch is infected too

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418709990149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418709990149.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 101

SBLRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R . I saw you were asking a few questions and this is what I have found that works for me . First off your tank looks great ! I have only been told the amount of rock only matters in the case of having a mandarin my LFS told me to have one I should have about 200 lb in my tank to keep my pod population up since that is there main diet . I also agree on the statement about using a good test kit I would recommend either the redsea kits or spending the money and buying hana checkers this is what I use and they are very user friendly . As far as your coralline growth I use half the recommended dose of purple up . I hope this is helpful to you and welcome to the worst addiction one can have

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you are getting a lot of mixed and false information here. To start off rock is an important part of any reef tank. Why? It is mainly a source of biological filtration, nitrifying bacteria live on the porous rock and help with the nitrifying cycle. The reason people are able to do with less rock is because they have adequately compensated for filtration in other methods, for example running a GFO reactor or implementing various other methods in their sump. The notation that rock is needed for only a mandarin is completely false, and I would never return to that LFS if they are that out of wack.

As far as your coralline growth, Supplements like purple up and "elemental" Do not actually cause coralline algae to grow, and they do not introduce it into the tank. All those products are doing is raising calcium levels. Coraline algae needs to be manually introduced into the tank by means of rock, shells, even snail shells coated with some will help the spread. As far as dosing your tank every night with the "elemental" I would say its a very bad idea, since you don't have enough coral to help soak up and use this extra calcium.

For the concern on brown slime, Frag off any infected portion of the coral, and dying or receding coral flesh should be discarded, dip the remainder in something like Coral Rx or Revive or your preference. Brown slime is pretty good at killing things.

Hope this helped clear up some things.

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you are getting a lot of mixed and false information here. To start off rock is an important part of any reef tank. Why? It is mainly a source of biological filtration, nitrifying bacteria live on the porous rock and help with the nitrifying cycle. The reason people are able to do with less rock is because they have adequately compensated for filtration in other methods, for example running a GFO reactor or implementing various other methods in their sump. The notation that rock is needed for only a mandarin is completely false, and I would never return to that LFS if they are that out of wack.

As far as your coralline growth, Supplements like purple up and "elemental" Do not actually cause coralline algae to grow, and they do not introduce it into the tank. All those products are doing is raising calcium levels. Coraline algae needs to be manually introduced into the tank by means of rock, shells, even snail shells coated with some will help the spread. As far as dosing your tank every night with the "elemental" I would say its a very bad idea, since you don't have enough coral to help soak up and use this extra calcium.

For the concern on brown slime, Frag off any infected portion of the coral, and dying or receding coral flesh should be discarded, dip the remainder in something like Coral Rx or Revive or your preference. Brown slime is pretty good at killing things.

Hope this helped clear up some things.
Hi Paul
Thank you so much, really good information, for the rocks, I bought some good rock and put then between my rocks, the coralline is spreading slowly, for my coral disease, I bought medicolral made by brightwel.
I tested the water by Sera test kit, everything was fine except pH, it was 9 and calcium was 500 and Kh was 11-12, and I think it's because of adding elemental every night.
Thank you again.
I will note if something else happened.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back