My little nano tank.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost two years dry I am gonna finally get started on my tank.

The dimensions are 72"x48"x25". About 375 gallons. I made the rockwork for it myself. It will have five stream pumps on a controller, two sequence 5800 pumps(one for a return and the other plumbed under the rockwork to keep detritus from building up. Six 150 watt de halides(gonna go with pheonix 14k the first go around) and two 250 watt de halides. I have a huge custom skimmer, huge calcium reactor, kalk doser and carbon chamber. There will be a 75 gallon sump and two custom sixty gallon tanks also plumbed to this system(one refugium and of course a frag/holding tank).

A lot of thought has been put into this tank. Too much thought actually. I had gotten so burned out by the hobby I almost pulled the plug. But for some reason I feel regenerated and can't wait to get going. I tore down the walls of the old fishroom and am putting up new ones this week. Then I have to frame up the tank. Then plumbing and hanging lights. Then the true madness begins.

Here is a pic of the rockwork.
123018.jpg

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, about 500 pounds worth in the tank.

Maybe more.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait to see this monster full of water. Sounds like its going to be an awesome tank! Is all the plumbing done? Do ypu have any pics of how you did the plumbing under the rockwork?

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't do any plumbing yet. That is the only thing I suck at. I am actually thinking of hiring a guy I know to help me plumb it.

What I do know is that I will be using a lot of loc-line. Also one of the streams is a 6200 that I took out of a wavebox. I am going to use the wavebox controller and the 6200(around 5000gph) to pulse down the center of the tank near the bottom of the tank. This should provide a sort of surge through the rocks that hopefully looks cool and keeps things suspended. I want to put a couple of sun corals in the cave areas of the tank and that should help with feeding them. I am going to also try a dendronepthea or two near the b ottom of the tank. I read somewhere once they feed off suspended particles in the water. So if I never give the detritus a chance to settle maybe I can have some success. Wouldn't that be awesome. But I am not going to put too much into dendies. I know they are impossible to keep.

I will take some more pics when I get a chance showing the backside of the structure. It is hollow underneath. I wanted to have as much space as I could for the fish to roam this tank. I think it will be neat when it is done.

gooch

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see the pics. I like the surge idea. Do you have the rock up on stands so that the back is open?

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the rock was formed one piece at a time. I would then form the next rock to fit like a puzzle onto the next piece and so on. It was a real long process. Took me about six months. I was making three sections at a time and slowly brought them together. It took about a week to make six pieces. Then I had to dry them for about 2-3 weeks depending on thickness. Then I had to fire each piece. Then I put it back in the tank and molded more pieces from what was done. Every piece fits together. It wasn't easy. I felt like an artist. I would mold it then go look at it from the front and side. Then reshape it.....get my wifes opinion......redo it.......get my wifes opinion......redo it......get my wifes opinion and then move on to the next piece.

I made lots of mistakes along the way......but I think it turned out good.

I will post pics later.

Gooch

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Gooch, alot of work and thought put into it....I'm sure you will be rewarded for it....As will we when we see it in it's glory.

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic. That is all I can say.

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
123023.jpg

123016.jpg

123015.jpg

This is the back side. I still have to clean some things out from underneath. The vaccum it out before I plumb and add water. I expect a lot of sponge growth on the underside of this rockwork as well.

OP
OP
gooch

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down.
123027.jpg

123026.jpg

123025.jpg

123024.jpg

Now I have to get back to busting up drywall and hauling it to the curb.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one nice set up of rock work......Gives me some ideas for when I upgrade to my next tank....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back