My Marineland 90 Gallon build

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as per a recommendation from another member I'm going to start a build thread of a tank I am trying to build. So far I've gotten the Marineland Reef Ready 90gallon with a stand the former owner built for super cheap. I finally decided on a Trigger Systems Triton 34 sump and waiting for it in the mail. I have got plenty of dry rock and bought some of the manmade LifeRock from my LFS to add more height and places to put coral. My next step is plumbing the tank to the sump and getting a return pump before adding sand and water. I have had a 29 biocube before that was decent and this has been my dream tank from 75 to 125 gallons so this is in the middle. Hope to get some valuable insight from the members here when I post on this thread which I hope I can keep wothin a budget

20190404_212126.jpg

20190404_212058.jpg

20190330_123931.jpg

OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off is it too much rock? Wanted to creat a taller reef.
No where near stocking it but this is my list so far of fish I want to add after I properly cycle the tank going by BRS160 cycling method:
Yellow tang
Lawnmower blenny
2 maroon or oscelaris clown
A small school of green chromis
Flame and/or Coral Beauty Angel (I know reef caution)
Goby and shrimp pair
Pearly or Blue Spotted Jawfish
Some sort of wrasse (maybe McCoskers Flasher?)
Longnose Hawkfish
Mandarin Dragonet (maybe wait a year after cycled so as to have a proper copepod population)

Suggestions welcomed

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. As far as rock, I had similar scape in my 180 like your first pic. I wish i had gone with more of an island type for the fish to swim around. I have the wall. The islands in the center of the tank gives more rock to put coral on since you can use both sides.

Good list. Make sure to have plenty of pods prior to that mandarin.

OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my next purchase for this tank besides what's needed for cycling, does anyone recommend powerheads? I'm looking at either Vortech MP10 or 40s (friend stated they think the 40s would be too strong) but wanted to see what anyone else says. I'm looking at a MP10 on sale but also willing to look at other low profile more affordable options. Im also looking at the Jebao RW Series Wavemaker with Controller.
Now as far as lighting, what would anyone recommend for a mixed tank as far as LEDs (hopefully affordable)?

Last edited:

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the mp40 over the mp10. With the 40 you could always turn it down and increase it as your reef grows. With mp10 you will probably be at max out of the box with no room to grow.

I love the Vortechs but I almost always end up back with Tunze pumps. I like the ability to aim flow as needed. I think two Tunze 6095s would be great for the 90.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the head height on the pump. I’m guessing you would be somewhere between 300-400gph in to the tank, which is plenty for a 90

OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still waiting on my sump. Bought it from a Aquarium store from Arizona on eBay so taking a little longer than expected, but I'm trying to decide between the Jbaeo 1320gph w/ wave controller from Chewy or a Sicce Syncra 4.0 which has a max of 954gph. My question is what would ppl recommend?
As far as the powerheads I chose the Sicce Xstream on either side that I bought to support my LFS.
Also rearranged the rock to something I like a little better. Bc of the depth of the tank couldn't really do better per session but I'm definitely happy with this layout than I was the last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a good bit has happened since I last posted. I got a Trigger Systems Triton34 sump with a Sicce syncra adv 1450 return pump, sicce xstream power heads attached to a hydor wave controller. Got sand filled in (Nature's Own Reef Substrate. In the sump I placed some marine pure in the refugium section with red ogo macroalgae. The problem I'm running into now is the overflow. The water is rushing down too fast and making a crazy washing machine sound and lots of bubbles. Any suggestions?

20190511_133846.jpg

20190511_133848.jpg

20190513_193058.jpg

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Any updates? I just got a Marineland 90 gal, upgrading from my 29 bio cube. And I got the trigger systems ruby 36 for my sump! So we are pretty close in our experience and bigger setup now. Im trying to plumb my tank now

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Any updates? I just got a Marineland 90 gal, upgrading from my 29 bio cube. And I got the trigger systems ruby 36 for my sump! So we are pretty close in our experience and bigger setup now. Im trying to plumb my tank now

+1

OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I did to help with the water rushing noise is I flipped the sump so that the overflow goes opposite of the corner box and the return pump returns underneath it. I also added a ball valve in case I go to cleaning the tank or need to move the sump I can just go ahead and stop the flow into the sump. I have also added a Bubble Magus Curve 7 for skimming

20190518_140515.jpg

OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this I have added a cheap finnex marine 24/7 a few weeks after this change to see about coraline algae growth and also to get the fish I got (Green Chromis) into a schedule to try and get them to school. Which hasn't worked. Out of 8 I put in there to get them to school only 3 have survived. But it wasn't till later that I found out that even though they are the most peaceful of the damsel family that aren't that hardy. Within a week bc I didn't do my regular water changes like I should've I got diatom build up in which I got turbo snails and nassarius to be my clean up crew. I followed the BRS guidelines and just got 1 of each type per 10 gallons.
My future plans as far as lighting is get a T5 hybrid fixture and build a canopy around the size of the rim of the tank and the lights so it contains the light to better see the tank and not get blinded.

20190702_150513.jpg

20190712_164635.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobbie Hewell

Bobbie Hewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now a week later I went ahead and added my clownfish I had in the 29 Biocube that I have had for 8 years and they are doing great. They even helped my green Chromis come out more! Btw I did a 20% water change prior to moving them, drip acclimated them x3, and plan on doing another water change this upcoming week.

Screenshot_20190715-013435_Video Player.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back